The Student Room Group

Is it time to remove GCSEs from CV?

Its been 13 years since I sat GCSEs and since getting them I don’t think I’ve even took them out the paper they came in.. think I had to show them to the college I went to when applying but thats it, never had an employer ask or question it. All they seem to do is clog up space on my CV so I feel like I’m at the point where they are now redundant as I’ve got higher level qualifications to my name and in all honesty didn’t even do that well at GCSEs.
I was thinking about retaking maths but then realised I have very little to gain from it. My academic days are over, I don’t ever see myself back doing academic qualifications again as I’m just past that stage where it matters. From my experience, once you’ve got on-the-job experience academic qualifications becomes irrelevant, unless you are a doctor, I suppose...
Removing them sounds reasonable, yes
Reply 2
How much space does it take on your CV? Mine is simply a single stating "13 GCSEs (A*-C) including English and Maths". I guess its much worth it if you have more advanced qualifications.
Reply 3
Original post by ThuggerThugger
Its been 13 years since I sat GCSEs and since getting them I don’t think I’ve even took them out the paper they came in.. think I had to show them to the college I went to when applying but thats it, never had an employer ask or question it. All they seem to do is clog up space on my CV so I feel like I’m at the point where they are now redundant as I’ve got higher level qualifications to my name and in all honesty didn’t even do that well at GCSEs.
I was thinking about retaking maths but then realised I have very little to gain from it. My academic days are over, I don’t ever see myself back doing academic qualifications again as I’m just past that stage where it matters. From my experience, once you’ve got on-the-job experience academic qualifications becomes irrelevant, unless you are a doctor, I suppose...

In your case since you did GCSE 13 years ago all you need to list on the education section with the most recent qualification

GCSE or functional skills English and maths or equivalents such as apprenticeship level 2

A-level, BTEC or equivalents such as apprenticeship level 3.

Level 4 and 5 qualifications such as higher national certificate (HNC) or higher national diploma (HND) if you obtained one.

Bachelors of Hons degree if you went to university.

The only time you need to present or make a list of qualifications if you applying for an apprenticeship or graduate job role any other general job would only need to know the ones I mentioned above. Yes please retake your GCSE or functional skills maths you will definitely need it for the future.
In a word, yes.

Yes.

I don't even have my A-levels on mine, just the degree programme I'm on.

I don't bother stating my GCSEs and A levels on my CV unless they are specifically mentioned in a job description or I'm required to provide my full educational background.
Reply 7
Meanwhile some people only really have qualifications to put on their CV and there is so much space for their qualifications to breathe in

I'm going to keep my qualifications on my CV until I die! I remember working so hard for my C in GCSE French, bonjour and dem man der
Reply 8
I finished school 15 years ago and I never listed all my GCSEs I just listed 1) uni - (insert grade) 2) college (insert grade) 3) school - gained X amount of GCSE ranging from Grades X to Y including English (insert grade) and Maths (Insert grade) because most employers just want to make sure you have Maths and English C grade or above thats all
Original post by Finito
Meanwhile some people only really have qualifications to put on their CV and there is so much space for their qualifications to breathe in

Well yes everyone starts of like this...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending