The Student Room Group

CV Help?

Hi, I saw that the CV Help forum is suspended for some reason - I hope it's okay for me to put this here instead. I'm (hopefully :biggrin:) graduating this year and looking for jobs (not sure what I want to do but definitely not teaching, finance or military related). I've not had much luck with jobs so far and was hoping to get some tips and advice on my current CV. Thanks in advance :smile:

Censored CV.pdf
Reply 1
Original post by melouka
Hi, I saw that the CV Help forum is suspended for some reason - I hope it's okay for me to put this here instead. I'm (hopefully :biggrin:) graduating this year and looking for jobs (not sure what I want to do but definitely not teaching, finance or military related). I've not had much luck with jobs so far and was hoping to get some tips and advice on my current CV. Thanks in advance :smile:

Censored CV.pdf

The A level line is misleading - just list the a levels then the EPQ and the AS - these aren't A levels

GCSEs - I would say 7 GCSEs grades 6+ including English and Maths plus etc
Reply 2
Original post by Muttley79
The A level line is misleading - just list the a levels then the EPQ and the AS - these aren't A levels

GCSEs - I would say 7 GCSEs grades 6+ including English and Maths plus etc

Okay - good point, I will change the part about A-levels. I know most companies don’t really care about GCSEs at all, but it feels like I’m underselling myself a bit if I say 7 GCSEs at 6+ when 6 of them are 8+. But I will make that part more concise for sure. Thanks for the tips!
Use bullet points not long sentences. helps break down the text.
Hey, so I've attached an explained template of a CV that I've used and given out for year. One of the main things to keep in mind with CV's is keeping it simple, segmented and easy to read and understand. You can get into the complex explanations of your experience once your in an interview

You want to split your sentences up and ideally use bullet points, I would also put a rough guess at the years of experience you have in the skills you list too.
Reply 5
Decent, but I wouldn't lead with skills as they are since they're decontextualised... I don't know how/where you've used them.

This CV video from a Careers Consultant at Cambridge Uni shows it best IMO: https://youtu.be/rM4lDSxwW_g

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending