The Student Room Group

2020/21 PhD Applicants

Just thought it'd be great to start a thread for PhD applicants who are applying for entry this year for the purpose of solidarity :P

- Current/Most Recent University:
- Prospective Course(s):
- Prospective College(s):
- Fun fact/extracurricular activities

Good luck to everyone!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hi. I ve applied and been waiting for result from PhD Durham School Government and International Affairs. Rejected already by Sheffield Sociology and Bristol Politics. What courses or universities have u applied?
Hi! I actually have a skype meeting with my potential supervisor in 30 mins so just trying to calm my nerves on here!

Most recent uni was UCL where I did my MSc. Hoping to do a PhD in Psychology at De Montfort University.
Reply 3
Original post by beccagood95
Hi! I actually have a skype meeting with my potential supervisor in 30 mins so just trying to calm my nerves on here!

Most recent uni was UCL where I did my MSc. Hoping to do a PhD in Psychology at De Montfort University.

All the best! I hope it went well! I had mine at LSE last week too, and it was more so just a discussion about my research interests and motivation around a particular topic! Getting an interview is a fantastic sign so fingers crossed for you! :smile: Let us know how it went!
Reply 4
Original post by Unik587
Hi. I ve applied and been waiting for result from PhD Durham School Government and International Affairs. Rejected already by Sheffield Sociology and Bristol Politics. What courses or universities have u applied?

Sorry to hear about Sheffield and Bristol! But don't worry - great things yet to come! Have you applied anywhere else as well? I've read that some people apply to up to 8 PhD programmes in a cycle! Keep your hopes up and fingers crossed. One closed door leads to like 10 open ones! It'll all work out :smile:

I've applied to LSE, Oxford, Cambridge and UCL - I've received offers from UCL and Cambridge and interviewed at LSE last week so fingers crossed! I think, giving funding opportunities, my first option is perhaps UCL! Or, to be honest, wherever I get funding from :P
Original post by rk28
All the best! I hope it went well! I had mine at LSE last week too, and it was more so just a discussion about my research interests and motivation around a particular topic! Getting an interview is a fantastic sign so fingers crossed for you! :smile: Let us know how it went!

Thank you! It was really just a quick chat to hear what I thought about the feedback she gave on my proposal, where the project can go, what type of field I would like to go in etc. Very informal so I think it went okay. She managed to get my topic added to the list of topics for the scholarship and mentioned my name to them so I'm hoping that's a good sign for the scholarship and a place on the course!
Reply 6
Thank you! It was really just a quick chat to hear what I thought about the feedback she gave on my proposal, where the project can go, what type of field I would like to go in etc. Very informal so I think it went okay. She managed to get my topic added to the list of topics for the scholarship and mentioned my name to them so I'm hoping that's a good sign for the scholarship and a place on the course!

That's awesome! You'll be hearing some great news soon then! Congratulations and well done! :biggrin:
Reply 7
Original post by rk28
Sorry to hear about Sheffield and Bristol! But don't worry - great things yet to come! Have you applied anywhere else as well? I've read that some people apply to up to 8 PhD programmes in a cycle! Keep your hopes up and fingers crossed. One closed door leads to like 10 open ones! It'll all work out :smile:

I've applied to LSE, Oxford, Cambridge and UCL - I've received offers from UCL and Cambridge and interviewed at LSE last week so fingers crossed! I think, giving funding opportunities, my first option is perhaps UCL! Or, to be honest, wherever I get funding from :P

First of all, Good luck for all your applications. Yes, you are right there are still many chances opening if we send applications to many universities. This is my second year to try winning PhD admission with scholarship. Last year, I tried to Leeds, Bristol and Kent. All of them rejected my scholarship applications. I change my focus of research this year and have applied to Sheffield, Bristol and Durham. My chance is still on Durham with waiting a suitable supervisory team to complete admission process. On the other hand, I also send a Phd application to Danish university and master degrees with scholarships to some universities in Europe. I believe one or some of them will have positive decision(s) for me. Stay optimistic.
Reply 8

Congrats. Thats a good sign. I wish u best of luck with your funding application. Hope your PhD plans will run well. Spirit
Reply 9
I'm a PhD applicant to LSE, I submitted my application on 10 January and have had the interview and a discussion with my potential supervisor. Still waiting for a response. I am an international applicant (non-EU) and have applied for funding, won't be able to accept an unfunded place if offered one! Good luck to everyone here, hope we all get some good news soon!I have also applied to NYU and still haven't heard anything.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 10
Original post by PhD2020
I'm a PhD applicant to LSE, I submitted my application on 10 January and have had the interview and a discussion with my potential supervisor. Still waiting for a response. I am an international applicant (non-EU) and have applied for funding, won't be able to accept an unfunded place if offered one! Good luck to everyone here, hope we all get some good news soon!I have also applied to NYU and still haven't heard anything.

Awesome! I've applied to LSE too. What course are you considering? All the best!
Reply 11
Original post by rk28
Awesome! I've applied to LSE too. What course are you considering? All the best!

Media and Communications! What about you? Have they told you approximately how many weeks it could take to hear back? I understand the timelines and procedures for PhD are slightly different from those for Undergrad and Masters...
Reply 12
Original post by PhD2020
Media and Communications! What about you? Have they told you approximately how many weeks it could take to hear back? I understand the timelines and procedures for PhD are slightly different from those for Undergrad and Masters...

International Development! I was told it 'may take up to 4 weeks after the interview' to hear back :frown: It's only been one so far! Anticipation is insane. However, on the plus side, we may get to hear about funding at the same time.
Hey all PhD applicants!
After months of rejections I got accepted into the SWBio DTP at Bristol so I just want to say don't give up! It's a brutal world out there. But someone will recognise you soon! Also if anyone else is on SWBio let me know, would love to hear from some of you!
Original post by Unik587
Congrats. Thats a good sign. I wish u best of luck with your funding application. Hope your PhD plans will run well. Spirit

Thank you! I wish you luck too :smile:

I'm writing up the scholarship application now and I'm feeling so nervous! I just keep thinking "my project is so basic, why would they want to fund this", a bit of imposter syndrome I guess! Whilst my supervisor likes it and has mentioned it to the scholarship team, she isn't the one that makes the decision so it's still nerve-wracking. I just don't want all my hard work on the proposal to be for nothing :frown:
Thank you! I wish you luck too :smile:

I'm writing up the scholarship application now and I'm feeling so nervous! I just keep thinking "my project is so basic, why would they want to fund this", a bit of imposter syndrome I guess! Whilst my supervisor likes it and has mentioned it to the scholarship team, she isn't the one that makes the decision so it's still nerve-wracking. I just don't want all my hard work on the proposal to be for nothing :frown:

I am sure you'll make it! I too had an interview recently and am waiting to hear back from the university. I hope I get the position. Waiting is so nerve wracking!
Reply 16
Does anyone know if the strikes will effect the decision timeline?

I applied for an MPhil/PhD Sociology at LSE and Leeds (Cambridge too, but withdrew after me and my supervisor decided it would be best for me to reapply next year when she has less students and I have improved my mental health), yet haven't heard anything.

I applied for LSE back in November and I emailed them two weeks ago to check whether they had just forgotten to reject me, but they said I was still being considered by the department. Seeing people have interviews is freaking me out and this wait makes me think that I will be rejected...

Admittedly Cambridge is still probably my first choice and being rejected won't be the end of everything, I just want to know at this point. Then I can get feedback and make my application for next year even stronger. LSE and Leeds are still great unis, so would obviously love to get a place but I'm trying to stop myself from going mad by thinking of alternatives in case I get rejected by both LSE and Leeds.
Original post by socphd
Does anyone know if the strikes will effect the decision timeline?

I applied for an MPhil/PhD Sociology at LSE and Leeds (Cambridge too, but withdrew after me and my supervisor decided it would be best for me to reapply next year when she has less students and I have improved my mental health), yet haven't heard anything.

I applied for LSE back in November and I emailed them two weeks ago to check whether they had just forgotten to reject me, but they said I was still being considered by the department. Seeing people have interviews is freaking me out and this wait makes me think that I will be rejected...

Admittedly Cambridge is still probably my first choice and being rejected won't be the end of everything, I just want to know at this point. Then I can get feedback and make my application for next year even stronger. LSE and Leeds are still great unis, so would obviously love to get a place but I'm trying to stop myself from going mad by thinking of alternatives in case I get rejected by both LSE and Leeds.

Hang in there! the best thing to do is to focus on other things at hand (that's what I m doing:s-smilie:). I'd suggest working on improving your application i.e. proposal anyways because its just something that'll help you develop things in the future as well your own health (which is very important). Lets keep our fingers crossed and hope for the best!
(edited 4 years ago)
Has any one heard from university of liverpool management school or warwick business school?
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 19
Good to finally find some other PhD applicants. I applied to a PhD at LSE, had my interview in January and got my unconditional offer a few days ago. However, they said I will only be informed about funding around the end of March. For some studentships however they said they are already informing applicants.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending