The Student Room Group

University of Manchester or Leeds

I am an a level resit student, and I’m very torn between the two unis. I am predicted AAA and have a B in history from last year.

Leeds have offered me ABB for law if I place them as my first choice. However I’ve been very set on Manchester and they require AAA. I’ve heard very mixed reviews about the two unis Like some state that Manchester has bad lectures and some state Leeds is full of “druggies”.

I want a very decent social life but also an amazing education that will help me get employed in the area of law. Any advice???
Reply 1
Original post by Ella200111
I am an a level resit student, and I’m very torn between the two unis. I am predicted AAA and have a B in history from last year.

Leeds have offered me ABB for law if I place them as my first choice. However I’ve been very set on Manchester and they require AAA. I’ve heard very mixed reviews about the two unis Like some state that Manchester has bad lectures and some state Leeds is full of “druggies”.

I want a very decent social life but also an amazing education that will help me get employed in the area of law. Any advice???

Hey. So I was exactly in your position this time last year! I too was a resit student. I achieved ABB due to extenuating circumstances (so didn’t meet my manchester offer of AAA) but I knew those grades didn’t reflect me & hence I took a year out. A year later, I achieved AAA (as I knew I would!) and I’m so glad I put Uni of Leeds as my first choice. Yes I too had heard ‘it’s full of druggies’ but honestly I haven’t seen this. Leeds is so beautiful & amazing. I study LLB Law and I am loving it! Leeds is ranked quite a bit higher than Manchester. It’s also such a respected uni. I feel like Manchester is kind of losing its high status Russel group uni meaning. Anyway, social life is great at Leeds. Academics is great too, the lecturers are so so supportive. I may be biased (lol) but Leeds is too good of an opportunity to let down!! And plus they’re offering you ABB which is amazing -it’s a really good safety net to have. Especially if you’re a resit student. Good luck!

I do think you hear good and bad things about every uni - name any top 20 uni and I think I could name the stereotype but it's not like every student at Leeds is into drugs or every lecturer at Manchester is more bothered about their reseach than their students or everyone at Exeter is racist or ......I could go on and on. You really do have to make your own mind up about this. I would recommend visiting both unis again if you can attend Applicant days and also read point 4 about comparing law faculties in this thread by

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6247090
Reply 3
Original post by Laya_
Hey. So I was exactly in your position this time last year! I too was a resit student. I achieved ABB due to extenuating circumstances (so didn’t meet my manchester offer of AAA) but I knew those grades didn’t reflect me & hence I took a year out. A year later, I achieved AAA (as I knew I would!) and I’m so glad I put Uni of Leeds as my first choice. Yes I too had heard ‘it’s full of druggies’ but honestly I haven’t seen this. Leeds is so beautiful & amazing. I study LLB Law and I am loving it! Leeds is ranked quite a bit higher than Manchester. It’s also such a respected uni. I feel like Manchester is kind of losing its high status Russel group uni meaning. Anyway, social life is great at Leeds. Academics is great too, the lecturers are so so supportive. I may be biased (lol) but Leeds is too good of an opportunity to let down!! And plus they’re offering you ABB which is amazing -it’s a really good safety net to have. Especially if you’re a resit student. Good luck!

Thank you so much, that’s what I was thinking like it’s an amazing offer to have from Leeds. Also I’ve heard that Manchester lecturers don’t give that much support. Do you find the modules interesting and have they helped you complete work experience and law programmes? As it is very important to have a head start at such a competitive course.
Reply 4
Thank you so much, that’s what I was thinking like it’s an amazing offer to have from Leeds. Also I’ve heard that Manchester lecturers don’t give that much support. Do you find the modules interesting and have they helped you complete work experience and law programmes? As it is very important to have a head start at such a competitive course.

A close friend of mine went to the University of Manchester & she was in tears in her first year. She got zero support from the uni. Although she graduated with a First!! It was purely due to her own hard work, long working hours in the library etc. She did amazing. Her determination & resilience :smile:.

At Leeds, because it’s such a high ranked uni (13th in the U.K. last I checked) I expected zero support from them. However, it is the total opposite. I’m still shocked by how supportive & lovely the lecturers are!! They are so great. At Leeds, you can get support on anything you could think of -from academics to your mental health! And yes, they do help with work experience & law programmes! In fact, they have a range of community projects within the uni at the School of Law that you can apply for. Regardless of what experience you’re looking at, eg an internship, they support you with your application if you need it. There’s support in every aspect, all you have to do is reach out and ask.

Of course I can only speak from my personal experience & ultimately this decision is yours! But I can say you’d be happy at Leeds. It’s a lovely place to be, a respectable uni and I feel lucky everyday that I’m studying here :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending