The Student Room Group

Does it make a difference where you study the LPC?

I'm a second year at Northumbria and I'm wanting to work further south when I qualify. I can do a 4 year Mlaw course at northumbria which includes the LPC or do the 3 year LLB and then do the LPC elsewhere. I'm wondering if firms favour places such as BPP or Ulaw as opposed to doing it at a non russell group uni?
Reply 1
Most firms have worked with BPP / Ulaw, and therefore they may offer electives that may be more suitable to working in the City (if that's what you mean by 'further south').
Reply 2
Original post by Varis
Most firms have worked with BPP / Ulaw, and therefore they may offer electives that may be more suitable to working in the City (if that's what you mean by 'further south').

Yeah I am thinking about working in London or thereabouts. I feel like Northumbria does not have many connections with firms other than those in Newcastle.
Original post by CNK99
Yeah I am thinking about working in London or thereabouts. I feel like Northumbria does not have many connections with firms other than those in Newcastle.

Hi,

In terms of connections with law firms, I think it's fair to say that this what makes both ULaw and BPP especially popular as institutions for studying the LPC. ULaw has exclusive relationships with many city firms so you'll find that all the trainees from one intake are studying the LPC together. You might then find this reassuring if you are yourself applying for training contracts, as you know that some of the biggest city firms require their trainees to take the LPC here.

ULaw also host many events on campus throughout the year, featuring panels made up of representatives from city firms. You can really make use of the uni's connections by attending these events and establishing contact with lawyers or people from graduate recruitment at city firms. The employability team at ULaw are also amazing for helping you with your applications and organising pro bono, work experience etc to boost your CV.

Obviously you have mentioned that location might be an issue in Newcastle, and ULaw has campuses all over the country so you can choose to study wherever you think you might want to work, and start getting work experience there.

Hope this was helpful, and ask any more questions you might have! :smile:

Jess,
Student Ambassador, Leeds Campus
Reply 4
look at the application requirements of the firms you're interested in - does it say 'must have completed the LPC from the University of Law or XYZ?'. i haven't come across that or heard of this, but if you have please send me the link.

Northumbria wouldn't have connections in London because it is not based there. it would obviously make sense to have local connections where students can complete work schemes, mentorships or whatever while they're doing the LPC. it would be very difficult if not physically impossible to do a work scheme in London while you're doing full-time LPC 7 hours north on the train.

if you're dead-set on working in London, then it might make sense to do the LPC there but don't do it because you think the name of the uni enhances your CV. employers will be more interested in what you did with your undergrad.
Original post by CNK99
I'm a second year at Northumbria and I'm wanting to work further south when I qualify. I can do a 4 year Mlaw course at northumbria which includes the LPC or do the 3 year LLB and then do the LPC elsewhere. I'm wondering if firms favour places such as BPP or Ulaw as opposed to doing it at a non russell group uni?

Do whatever you want to do. A lot of my friends at my Current uni (Where im finishing masters at) have gone to big firms and this uni is a non russell.
I honestly don't believe its about the University you go to, it just about the people you know for sure!

Wherever you go, set up linkedin/intsagram and connect with as many professionals as you can!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending