The Student Room Group

Hardest a levels

Hello, I want to know which a levels are quite hard? I would say a level English literature, a level further maths, a level maths, a level History, a level physics, a level biology, a level economics and a level geography.

Scroll to see replies

A level maths for sureee. Unless you are particularly good at maths. I've tried and I've learnt all the AS content but I'm unable to answer the questions properly. A level biology is also considered hard because there is a lot of content and the mark scheme is extremely specific.
difficulty is relative. biology, chemistry and physics are meant to be very difficult. i did a level english lit and maths and found them both difficult, english lit more though.
Original post by DeItaReality
Hello, I want to know which a levels are quite hard? I would say a level English literature, a level further maths, a level maths, a level History, a level physics, a level biology, a level economics and a level geography.

I did absolutely f*** all for geography and got a C so you can take that one off the list. I don’t know about history, economics or English lit but I do agree with the rest and I would say that chemistry is definitely another hard A level.
(edited 4 years ago)
Languages, definitely... due to a range of reasons, the grade boundaries are really high compared to many other subjects (90% = A*) and, even if you speak the language already, you have to learn the exam technique so well - there just isn't room for error! History is also really hard, but mainly due to the content load rather than essay technique. I personally found Eng Lit the easiest of my 3, but it's such a subjective subject that it's difficulty is hard to judge!
For me, through my own experience, Physics

Geography and economics take straight off that list. I did maths geography computer science and geography was super easy got an A and economics was apparently easy. I’d argue computer science is a hard a level but maths was very difficult but still got an A :smile:
Reply 7

I do Maths, Chemistry, Physics and History. I can say that, without a doubt, chemistry is the hardest A Level for me. There is just so much content that even once you understand, you have to be able to apply to any molecule they can give. At AS I found Chemistry was totally fine and Physics was probably harder, however at A2 the tables have definitely turned - Chemistry steps up a lot! A2 Maths is definitely not easy, especially if you're not a natural mathematician (I'm definitely not!) However, it comes with practice. History, I find, is not that different to GCSE in terms of skills - perhaps a little more evaluative in essays (as long as you write essays with evaluation beforehand I have found that you can come out of the exam with an A* without having learnt a single date because at the end of the day you do not need to remember everything, only what is useful for making an argument). For some units the content is literally exactly the same. I think that economics can be difficult because the grade boundaries are normally very high, but generally that is only the case because it's not as hard to get the questions right. In terms of my friends who do biology, they say there is quite a lot of content and in some cases the mark scheme can be extremely specific to the point where it's frustrating. However, overall, if you're able to listen in class the whole year long and keep a decent set of notes, you can certainly come out with a decent grade. Physics is probably my favourite subject at A2, purely because it becomes very interesting. It is hard, but it is also more rewarding than Chemistry when you get a question right. Apparently English Lit is quite a lot of work, however, if you're willing to put in the hours then you can easily do well. I can't comment on further maths or geography, and everything I've said is purely based off of my own, and a couple of my friend's experience!
Reply 8
Hello everyone,
Hoping you all are doing well. Currently, I am planning to offer chemistry & biology online courses for both GCSE & A Level stages. I could say the reason why of my choice for tutoring these couple of subjects specifically because of my college tutors positive feedback in regards to owning satisfying teaching skills which has potentially gave me the privilege of making the best use of such opportunity of helping others struggling on knowing the basic concepts. Below, I have referred my own “Scholarhub” tutoring profile page where you could get benefit from and of course recommend to one of your friends as well.

https://www.scholarhub.co.uk/educator/rwna-ibrahim-3794

If you got any further queries or suggestions, please do not hesitate on contacting me through my private email address: [email protected]

Wishing you all the best ♥️
Original post by redmeercat
Languages, definitely... due to a range of reasons, the grade boundaries are really high compared to many other subjects (90% = A*) and, even if you speak the language already, you have to learn the exam technique so well - there just isn't room for error! History is also really hard, but mainly due to the content load rather than essay technique. I personally found Eng Lit the easiest of my 3, but it's such a subjective subject that it's difficulty is hard to judge!

What exam board do you do for languages? For Edexcel Spanish around 82-84% is an A*
I take maths, further maths, chemistry and physics. I personally find physics the hardest.
Original post by 3pointonefour
What exam board do you do for languages? For Edexcel Spanish around 82-84% is an A*

AQA, I've heard that it's the one native speakers do most often meaning that boundaries are higher, but that might be completely wrong!
AQA, I've heard that it's the one native speakers do most often meaning that boundaries are higher, but that might be completely wrong!

Yeah AQA languages has notoriously high grade boundaries! Having practiced papers from both exam boards I'd say the reason AQA has higher grade boundaries is that the exams are easier - I found there to be much more inference needed for Edexcel. And in AQA's speaking exam you're actually given facts and statistics during the thematic discussion whereas in Edexcel you're required to memorise them. That's just my opinion though - I'm lucky I'm not doing AQA as I cannot cope with high grade boundaries!
Maths, Physics, and Chemistry - I didn't do these but the taster sessions at the start of Year 12 managed to instill a good amount of fear in me towards these subjects.
Yeah AQA languages has notoriously high grade boundaries! Having practiced papers from both exam boards I'd say the reason AQA has higher grade boundaries is that the exams are easier - I found there to be much more inference needed for Edexcel. And in AQA's speaking exam you're actually given facts and statistics during the thematic discussion whereas in Edexcel you're required to memorise them. That's just my opinion though - I'm lucky I'm not doing AQA as I cannot cope with high grade boundaries!

I'm not so sure - you are sometimes given facts, but you also have to learn your own to show depth of understanding... In the reading paper I've also come across questions such as 'X lives in Paris and Y lives in Marseille, true false or not mentioned that they live in the same region' where is answer is not mentioned. Perhaps I'll spend the afternoon looking at some Edexcel papers, tho, because I don't really have a point of reference atm! What're the essay questions like?
I'm not so sure - you are sometimes given facts, but you also have to learn your own to show depth of understanding... In the reading paper I've also come across questions such as 'X lives in Paris and Y lives in Marseille, true false or not mentioned that they live in the same region' where is answer is not mentioned. Perhaps I'll spend the afternoon looking at some Edexcel papers, tho, because I don't really have a point of reference atm! What're the essay questions like?

The essay questions are more or less the same. In our paper 2, we have to do 2 essays (50 marks each) and a translation into the target language. Even though AQA essays are out of 40 I believe it's the same exam technique and style of question.

One vastly different thing between AQA and Edexcel is in the reading/listening paper - in particular in AQA's one where you're given huge summary questions worth lots of marks. In Edexcel we do get told to summarise things but its only 3 marks at the most.

I think German is the most difficult (not in terms of content but chance of getting a high grade) because so many native speakers take it, you're pretty screwed from the start if you're not germam
The essay questions are more or less the same. In our paper 2, we have to do 2 essays (50 marks each) and a translation into the target language. Even though AQA essays are out of 40 I believe it's the same exam technique and style of question.

One vastly different thing between AQA and Edexcel is in the reading/listening paper - in particular in AQA's one where you're given huge summary questions worth lots of marks. In Edexcel we do get told to summarise things but its only 3 marks at the most.

That is significant, and depending on the summary question that might be a blessing or a curse! I loved doing A level French but I did find sometimes that exam technique was kinda overwhelming compared to the need to actually speak French... I really liked the oral part of it for that reason as it was largely the ability to use grammar and vocab accurately, but remembering the facts was a pain! That's interesting about the essays, tho.
That is significant, and depending on the summary question that might be a blessing or a curse! I loved doing A level French but I did find sometimes that exam technique was kinda overwhelming compared to the need to actually speak French... I really liked the oral part of it for that reason as it was largely the ability to use grammar and vocab accurately, but remembering the facts was a pain! That's interesting about the essays, tho.

Yeah I agree, when I saw the summary questions that AQA did I was quite grateful my school did Edexcel. I really do understand where you're coming from in terms of exam technique as well; I felt like there was just too much of an emphasis on having to jump through hoops and write in the way they wanted when I chose Spanish because I loved speaking it and learning it but the literature really did sick the fun out of it sometimes.

Without a doubt though, a modern language is definitely my hardest A level (And I take Maths, Further Maths and Physics) because of the sheer amount of work you'll have to do on vocab, grammar, exam technique, speaking etc AND you already have the odds against you if you're not a native speaker.
Yeah I agree, when I saw the summary questions that AQA did I was quite grateful my school did Edexcel. I really do understand where you're coming from in terms of exam technique as well; I felt like there was just too much of an emphasis on having to jump through hoops and write in the way they wanted when I chose Spanish because I loved speaking it and learning it but the literature really did sick the fun out of it sometimes.

Without a doubt though, a modern language is definitely my hardest A level (And I take Maths, Further Maths and Physics) because of the sheer amount of work you'll have to do on vocab, grammar, exam technique, speaking etc AND you already have the odds against you if you're not a native speaker.

Yep... I often find the questions to be very idly specific, such as asking the 3 things that Bob says about himself and the third one being that he exists or something like that, which isn't explicit but isn't technically wrong.

Quick Reply

Latest