The Student Room Group

A-level Revision during quarantine for Autumn exams?

Hi,
Just wondering if anyone else who was suppossed to take exams this Summer is revising during quarantine? I'd rather prepare for Uni but I'm uncertain if I'll receive sufficient calculated grades or have to sit the exams in September. Really bad move to hand out the grades on 16th August imo. Imagine cancelling holiday plans and revising during the summer holiday and (maybe all 3 subjects if ur not sure) and end up getting good grades, or on the other hand expecting sufficient grades but not getting them, then having to revise all the content for the September exams that are only 2-3 weeks away! Plus having to take a gap year for most Unis because of this. Any of u lots been revising? They really should've stuck to the earlier results day thing so that we get notified earlier if we're due for an Exam.
I've been revising. Not a lot though. Kinda upset my exams got cancelled and now school is online. I can't say you should constantly revise but make a timetable and at least study regularly until you are comfortable with the information.
I'm going to start revising but I just can't be bothered. Will do a bit a day so I would be comfortable to sit the autumn exams if I have to.
Yeah I get what you guys mean. Does anyone know if we decide to just take the exams next July if we have to do all of our subjects, or can we chose just the ones we wannna improve on? Because a lot of Unis don't let you join after the Autumn exams since you would've missed the first term, so might have to take a gap year which kinda sucks.
Original post by Bazookatron21
Hi,
Just wondering if anyone else who was suppossed to take exams this Summer is revising during quarantine? I'd rather prepare for Uni but I'm uncertain if I'll receive sufficient calculated grades or have to sit the exams in September. Really bad move to hand out the grades on 16th August imo. Imagine cancelling holiday plans and revising during the summer holiday and (maybe all 3 subjects if ur not sure) and end up getting good grades, or on the other hand expecting sufficient grades but not getting them, then having to revise all the content for the September exams that are only 2-3 weeks away! Plus having to take a gap year for most Unis because of this. Any of u lots been revising? They really should've stuck to the earlier results day thing so that we get notified earlier if we're due for an Exam.

i am literally in the same boat as you, think the results should have been out sooner! this is not fair because it seems like its over i don't have motivation
Original post by Anonymous36617
i am literally in the same boat as you, think the results should have been out sooner! this is not fair because it seems like its over i don't have motivation

Yeah it pissed me off when they said 'fortunately' results day is not in July anymore and is in August as usual. They didn't think about the Autumn exams at all. I do get that these are dark times and all, but Ofqual rlly didn't think of this? On UCAS it says if u don't get the grades, there are plenty of Unis in clearing. We didn't work so hard for 2 years to go through clearing smh.

I acc messaged them today about it and they said they haven't planned the Autumn exams yet and we'll get an email about it when they do. Hopefully the news will be better than what it is now
Original post by Bazookatron21
Yeah it pissed me off when they said 'fortunately' results day is not in July anymore and is in August as usual. They didn't think about the Autumn exams at all. I do get that these are dark times and all, but Ofqual rlly didn't think of this? On UCAS it says if u don't get the grades, there are plenty of Unis in clearing. We didn't work so hard for 2 years to go through clearing smh.

I acc messaged them today about it and they said they haven't planned the Autumn exams yet and we'll get an email about it when they do. Hopefully the news will be better than what it is now

it does kind of feel like our two years of hell were a waste! I think they should have just made compulsory exams in autumn for everyone, i don't think the teacher assessment thing that ofqual are doing is not gonna reflect everybody true ability.

Like my mock exam results for English Lit were nit the best but just before this is started to improve in hwk essays and i actually thought i cud have done better in the real thing - it just seems like it has been taken away from us, its not fair

they are literally mentioning clearing like its a good thing - like the whole of the UK may end up in clearing at this point

i am actually soooo confused about this whole situation

Quick Reply

Latest