The Student Room Group

I want to take STEP, but I also need to take the NSAA

As I said in the title (a little wordy, sorry), I really want/need to take STEP, so my application can stand out, and additionally so I can apply for Maths at King’s and Bath whilst applying for Physics at UCL, Imperial and Cambridge. For Physics at Cambridge I will need to take the NSAA exam. Will these two coincide or create any complications? Is this feasible? Thanks!
I think it could be feasible! My friend did the NSAA (albeit she did it for veterinary medicine so probably would’ve chosen the different options) and she said it wasn’t that bad, and she didn’t feel like she had to do tons of revision for it so I don’t think it’s a horrible exam. Also the NSAA is usually in autumn time whereas the STEP is usually around the actual a-level exams, so that helps! (but adds more workload during exam time:/) Just keep in mind you will probably have to revise MUCH more for the STEP overall and much more consistently, from what I’ve seen and attempted the STEP is a beast of an exam lmao. If you feel confident you could do both then I say go for it! However from what I know of the STEP isn’t a requirement for those maths options, and I’m not sure how much it will benefit your physics side of the application - I would research (or wait for another response lol) about how it could help, if it is actually worth doing, or if it might be more beneficial to consider a different maths entrance exam. Regardless of what you decide good luck!
Reply 2
Original post by Unit Ledger
As I said in the title (a little wordy, sorry), I really want/need to take STEP, so my application can stand out, and additionally so I can apply for Maths at King’s and Bath whilst applying for Physics at UCL, Imperial and Cambridge. For Physics at Cambridge I will need to take the NSAA exam. Will these two coincide or create any complications? Is this feasible? Thanks!

STEP preparation can be very time-consuming and the "benefit" is arguably negligible if it isn't an actual requirement (Cambridge) or allows you to drop a grade in your A levels (a very small selection of unis). Unless you're sure it's going to benefit your application (i.e. explicitly stated in the entrance requirements) I would be very wary about adding it on to your existing workload.
Reply 3
Original post by davros
STEP preparation can be very time-consuming and the "benefit" is arguably negligible if it isn't an actual requirement (Cambridge) or allows you to drop a grade in your A levels (a very small selection of unis). Unless you're sure it's going to benefit your application (i.e. explicitly stated in the entrance requirements) I would be very wary about adding it on to your existing workload.

I see what you mean, my workload at the moment is already quite arduous. I would like to apply to Maths at King’s and Bath, as I said, but of course I can just apply for Physics there too. How long do you think STEP will take?
Reply 4
Original post by Unit Ledger
I see what you mean, my workload at the moment is already quite arduous. I would like to apply to Maths at King’s and Bath, as I said, but of course I can just apply for Physics there too. How long do you think STEP will take?

hard to say as it depends on the candidate! what are the entrance requirements for Kings / Bath, and what grades are you working at?

EDIT: I'd really fix on ONE subject to study if I were you and then focus your application / personal statement on either Maths OR physics :smile:
(edited 9 months ago)
Reply 5
Original post by davros
hard to say as it depends on the candidate! what are the entrance requirements for Kings / Bath, and what grades are you working at?

EDIT: I'd really fix on ONE subject to study if I were you and then focus your application / personal statement on either Maths OR physics :smile:

I am working at all A*s, and predicted 90%+ in all of my modules.
Reply 6
My son has just got into Cambridge for Maths today. He started studying the STEP Support Programme modules in Y12 and worked on them every Saturday morning, increasing his input significantly once he got his offer in Y13. It's a major commitment but a requirement if you wanted to apply for Maths with Physics at Cambridge, and worth the effort as STEP is a good preparation for the Maths course. But not needed at all for Nat Sci Physics. You could look at the online programme to see what you think of the materials? https://maths.org/step/
I agree with davros that it would be easier to settle on one subject so you can focus your super-curricular effort and write about your enthusiasm and motivation for that subject in your personal statement. Tough if you really love both though! Best of luck.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending