The Student Room Group

classical tunes wot I like

Yo I think I'm going to share some pieces I find nice. Might be handy if you're wanting to get more into this kind of thing. Or if you just need something to revise to that isn't lofi beats.

Going to start things off with my favourite piece for the classical guitar (expect a fair bit of this instrument), Benga Beat by Gary Ryan.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Alright some orchestral stuff now.
La Valse by Ravel

Reply 2
This is one I very like. Have revised to it quite a few times; Dvořák's string quartet no. 12, "American".

Reply 3
Here's one that I'd love to play myself... in many years. Once I figure out how to not get cramps while doing tremolo.
Sueno en la Floresta by Agustin Barrios
Reply 4
Ok now back to full orchestra. This one is a real hair-standing-on-end piece, Shostakovich's 11th symphony.

Reply 5
I hope I'm not burning through my favourites too quickly.
This is an especially good performance though.

I've recently been discovering Bruckner's choral works and some Sibelius symphonies (no. 5 is amazing). I've also been getting into some atonal/serialist compositions, despite having completely dismissed them before. Quarantine is definitely a great time for discovering new music.
Reply 7
Original post by perspecci
I've recently been discovering Bruckner's choral works and some Sibelius symphonies (no. 5 is amazing). I've also been getting into some atonal/serialist compositions, despite having completely dismissed them before. Quarantine is definitely a great time for discovering new music.

Yeah I really should listen to more Sibelius, so far it's just been the violin concerto and the 7th symphony
Reply 8
Haven't had a piano piece yet. Going to change that with Arabesque no. 1.

Reply 9
Now back to some guitar. This one is an absolute beast. It's the Gigue from Bach's first Lute Suite. The lute suites are good revision music.

Reply 10
Here's the one piece by Schubert that I intentionally listen to: Impromptu no. 3. And specifically this version.
Reply 11
Alright I've got an exam for 17.5% of my first year in ten minutes but I think there's time to give this one another update.
Here's one I'm planning on listening to. Probably in the top 5 musical things that have ever existed: Bach's Mass in B minor.

Reply 12
Whoops bit late.
Here's a guitar concerto. It is good. Especially the 2nd mvt.

(Villa-Lobos Concerto for Guitar and Small Orchestra)
Reply 13
Did I tell you I like guitar yet
Here's another violin concerto except it's arranged for one guitar. Pretty sweet. The guitar adds a bit of spiciness to the piece - Csardas by Vittorio Monti

The fact that the arranger himself is making some mistakes doesn't fill me with hope towards someday learning this.
Nice thread! I hadn't really come across much classical guitar music so I'll give these a listen this evening!

Bach B minor mass is always a winner! His St John and St Matthew Passions are also absolute epics, some of my favourite pieces!! Do check out the Netherlands Bach Society on YouTube: they are posting some really high-quality recordings and videos of Bach's works, with the aim to upload all of them eventually! For example, here's one of their exquisite recordings of the opening chorus form Bach's St John Passion (there's another video with the full thing that you can easily find on YouTube): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FyeOPfg_6FE

(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 15
Original post by K-Man_PhysCheM
Nice thread! I hadn't really come across much classical guitar music so I'll give these a listen this evening!

Bach B minor mass is always a winner! His St John and St Matthew Passions are also absolute epics, some of my favourite pieces!! Do check out the Netherlands Bach Society on YouTube: they are posting some really high-quality recordings and videos of Bach's works, with the aim to upload all of them eventually! For example, here's one of their exquisite recordings of the opening chorus form Bach's St John Passion (there's another video with the full thing that you can easily find on YouTube): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FyeOPfg_6FE

thanks, giving that a listen :smile:
:nopity:

Nice thread
Reply 17

Finzi is a lesser known composer but I would definitely recommend this incredible tune to those that are into the more mainstream scope of classical music.
Reply 18
Original post by Ed1397
[
Finzi is a lesser known composer but I would definitely recommend this incredible tune to those that are into the more mainstream scope of classical music.

Das pretty gewd :yy:
Reply 19
Need something to relax myself after an exam today so here's another favourite, Liszt's Un Sospiro

Quick Reply

Latest