The Student Room Group

How to get into ivies/mit??

Hi, Im in year 11 going into year 12 in sept and so far i don't have any extracurriculars for uni applications. I am hoping for all 9s in my gcses in august or i will retake in sept hopefully to get those grades. i want to get into ivies/mit or Oxbridge for physics. apart from grades and sat exams what do ivies/mit look for?? how can i do those things in yr 12 if its still possible? I'm planning on doing 4 or 5 Alevels (maths, further maths, and the sciences) and get all A*s. I'll also do further reading + moocs in the subjects I'm interested in and work experience in yr 12 in R&D centres and hospitals. I'm also planning on doing gold dofe in year 12. will these help and what else can i do? thanks
Enjoy the burnout and pain of it all.
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous
Enjoy the burnout and pain of it all.

helpful.
American universities want jack-of-all-trades, well rounded students. You extracurriculars need to be outstanding, like national competition-level sports/music, dedication to volunteering for a charity/organization, etc.
Reply 4
Original post by Anonymous
American universities want jack-of-all-trades, well rounded students. You extracurriculars need to be outstanding, like national competition-level sports/music, dedication to volunteering for a charity/organization, etc.

do you think if i do that in year 12 i can make up for the previous years?
Original post by MKmanha
do you think if i do that in year 12 i can make up for the previous years?

You can certainly try, but you'll really need to show on your application how well rounded of a student you are by taking rigorous courses related to your desired major and juggling that with your dedicated extracurricular acitivities.

You will also need to make sure you apply to take the ACT test OR the SAT test and SAT subject tests (typically, American universities will recommend you take at least one or two SAT subject tests in addition to the big SAT test -- note* if a university in America says it's "recommended" that you do something, then you need to do it as it will strengthen your application) and ensure that your SAT scores meet at least the 50th percentile of the university's scores.

For example, the middle 50% of test scores for enrolled first years at Yale are:
SAT:

Evidence-Based Reading and Writing: 720-770

SAT-Math: 730-790

ACT Composite:

33-35

You need to check the standardized testing requirements of each ivy league university you're applying for and prepare for those tests appropriately.
Original post by MKmanha
Hi, Im in year 11 going into year 12 in sept and so far i don't have any extracurriculars for uni applications. I am hoping for all 9s in my gcses in august or i will retake in sept hopefully to get those grades. i want to get into ivies/mit or Oxbridge for physics. apart from grades and sat exams what do ivies/mit look for?? how can i do those things in yr 12 if its still possible? I'm planning on doing 4 or 5 Alevels (maths, further maths, and the sciences) and get all A*s. I'll also do further reading + moocs in the subjects I'm interested in and work experience in yr 12 in R&D centres and hospitals. I'm also planning on doing gold dofe in year 12. will these help and what else can i do? thanks

you can't afford 50k a year so it's a non-starter really
Reply 7
thanks!! do you think i should sign up for olympiads and competitions soon as i start yr12?
Original post by MKmanha
thanks!! do you think i should sign up for olympiads and competitions soon as i start yr12?

https://us.suttontrust.com/ < This programme is amazing as it gives you the help and guidance you need to apply to US universities, gives you the opportunity to visit them (all expenses paid), etc.
But if you're not eligible, their site will guide you through the entire process, so get acquainted with this site > http://www.fulbright.org.uk/

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending