The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Wired_1800
You have written good points but i disagree that it is not racist to prefer one ethnic group over another. It is actually an element of racism. Racism supports the assumption that an ethnic group is homogenous. As a result there are no differences.

“Preference” is a form of racism that allows people to hide under the guise of “oh, that is what I prefer”. Stupidly, people make the mistake of assuming that the ethnic group that they prefer are also homogenous.

Isn't it offensive to say that you would only date white women or black men or Asians? The subtle point made is that these people don't really care about the individual but their preference class as long as those people exhibit the features or activities they have concluded to be good for them.

If a man or woman says that they only date rich people as a preference, people would attack them. However, if they say they don't date this group or only date this group, people seem to applaud.

If I'm being honest, I actually agree with you (to an extent at least). That line was my attempt to give the "I'm not a racist really," brigade the benefit of the doubt. And yes, you're right about so-called "racial purity". I think it would be a challenge to find anyone who is completely 100% of one ethnic group.
Original post by Old Skool Freak
Alrighty...

There are people who may prefer broccoli over something like cabbage... but they are still willing to try cabbage under certain circumstances. Then there are those who will only ever eat broccoli and won't consider trying cabbage; regardless of how well it's prepared, cooked or served.

It's not racist to prefer one ethnic group over another... but it IS racist to be completely closed minded to the concept that you're not even willing to consider the possibility there MIGHT be someone from "X" ethnicity you MAY be attracted to. Granted, it's a more sociably acceptable form of racism, but it's still racism nonetheless.

I am brown and if a guy said he only likes white girls and doesn't like brown or black girls, I'm not going to convince them otherwise and say they should at least give us a brown girls a look in. I wouldn't go anywhere near that, I can't imagine expecting so much from someone who would have such a reluctant attraction towards me at best and is highly likely to be turned off by me. Plus if you are with someone who has a strong preference for something you're not, they are probably still wanting that and are unsatisfied by you.
No it’s absolutely fine and normal. I’m the same, only like whites as they’re by far the most beautiful ppl on earth to me
Original post by Old Skool Freak
If I'm being honest, I actually agree with you (to an extent at least). That line was my attempt to give the "I'm not a racist really," brigade the benefit of the doubt. And yes, you're right about so-called "racial purity". I think it would be a challenge to find anyone who is completely 100% of one ethnic group.

I think it is fine to like a particular person based on looks, personality etc. However it is simply ridiculous to judge a whole race based on perceptions from a small set of people that one has dated or come across. It is a backward way of thinking IMHO.
Original post by Tsranonymous123
Where did you get this information from? OP clearly said that they appreciate other races being good looking but just aren’t sexually attracted to them. I find some white guys good looking but aren’t sexually attracted to them and I am far from racist. You need to check the definition of racism yourself(:

what does this even mean, maybe the OP will be sexually attracted to someone who isn't white , it's not like she is attracted to all whites is it? Statistically whites are the majority but it is stupid to make such statements and just plain wrong
Original post by Anonymous
I am brown and if a guy said he only likes white girls and doesn't like brown or black girls, I'm not going to convince them otherwise and say they should at least give us a brown girls a look in. I wouldn't go anywhere near that, I can't imagine expecting so much from someone who would have such a reluctant attraction towards me at best and is highly likely to be turned off by me. Plus if you are with someone who has a strong preference for something you're not, they are probably still wanting that and are unsatisfied by you.

I'm not disputing what you're saying... but that's not really the question that was being asked. The question asked was "Is it racist to only be attracted to one particular race?, and I believe it is. I stand by everything I've said.

However, it doesn't necessarily make the individual in question racist per se, but it is certainly a racist attribute IMHO. It's a bit like just because someone likes a salad sandwich it doesn't necessarily make them a vegetarian.

No it’s absolutely fine and normal. I’m the same, only like whites as they’re by far the most beautiful ppl on earth to me

Just because it's "normal", it doesn't mean it's right. You can try and claim it's not racist, but the surrounding society & culture that influenced and shaped your "preferences" almost certainly has racist undertones. The influence of Western standards of beauty have been well docuemtned on threads like this... but I'll add my own example:-

In the noughties, there was a boy-band called Blue. that consisted of a black guy and three white guys (one of them was actually Mediterranean, but hey). The BBC (of all people) had some online teen- poll of who the hottest / sexiest guys at the time were. Out of a list of about 40-50 celebs they included all the members of Blue... except Simon (he was the black one, in case you hadn't already worked it out). This was the case despite the fact that many fans at the time considered Anthony to be the least attractive member. In fact, in that list, the only non-white person there was Craig David (even he has a white mother). Can someone PLEASE explain to me why there weren't a few more BANE people in that list? Come on, there were several people they could have included (e.g. Usher, Will Smith etc.). At the bare minimum t they could have had 3-4 BANE people in the list, at least then it's in ore proportion with the UK population (according to stats, at least lol).

Also, in 1969, a black woman won the Miss World competition for the first time in its history, and the tabloids had a field day, basically stating the rhetorical question "Is this black woman REALLY more attractive than this beautiful blonde haired blue-eyed Swedish Goddess?" Furthermore, why is it that the word "black" is constantly associated with bad things (e.g. black-listed; black-mark; black-sheep etc.)

Original post by Wired_1800
I think it is fine to like a particular person based on looks, personality etc. However it is simply ridiculous to judge a whole race based on perceptions from a small set of people that one has dated or come across. It is a backward way of thinking IMHO.

Agreed.
(edited 3 years ago)
no it isnt racist old skool freak, it's normal and fine. some ppl just arent attracted to blacks and others arent attracted to whites, periodttt. i only find white attractive and theres nothing racist about that, it's totally fine and normal and right
Original post by racistcraka
what does this even mean, maybe the OP will be sexually attracted to someone who isn't white , it's not like she is attracted to all whites is it? Statistically whites are the majority but it is stupid to make such statements and just plain wrong

But how is the fact that someone is only sexually attracted to one race being racist? It’s literally personal preference. I have white friends, do we find each other attractive? Yes. Are we sexually attracted to one another? No. That doesn’t make either one of us racist, period.
(edited 3 years ago)
no it isnt racist old skool freak, it's normal and fine. some ppl just arent attracted to blacks and others arent attracted to whites, periodttt. i only find white attractive and theres nothing racist about that, it's totally fine and normal and right

You're free to fancy whoever you want. I'm not stopping you... and you can continue to think it's not racist, but you're unlikely to ever change my mind on the matter. As I said, it's a socially acceptable form of racism, so you're unlikely to get any stick for it, if that's your issue.

As far as we're concerned, we can just agree to disagree on this matter.

But answer my question in the other post. Why wasn't there a better representation of black and ethnic people in that BBC poll I mentioned earlier?
(edited 3 years ago)
you'll never change my mind on the matter, it isn't racism at all, it's not a socially acceptable form, just as straight dudes not finding other dudes attractive isn't sexism, end of and periodtttt. op dont listen to old skool freak he has no idea what hes talking about. finding one particular race attractive is not racist in the slightest, its fine normal and totally acceptable :smile:
you'll never change my mind on the matter, it isn't racism at all, it's not a socially acceptable form, just as straight dudes not finding other dudes attractive isn't sexism, end of and periodtttt. op dont listen to old skool freak he has no idea what hes talking about. finding one particular race attractive is not racist in the slightest, its fine normal and totally acceptable

As I said, we'll agree to disagree... but can yo answer my question please?
no i wont because cba to read that. op: it isn't racism at all, it's not a socially acceptable form, just as straight dudes not finding other dudes attractive isn't sexism, end of and periodtttt. op dont listen to old skool freak he has no idea what hes talking about. finding one particular race attractive is not racist in the slightest, its fine normal and totally acceptable :smile:
no i wont because cba to read that. op: it isn't racism at all, it's not a socially acceptable form, just as straight dudes not finding other dudes attractive isn't sexism, end of and periodtttt. op dont listen to old skool freak he has no idea what hes talking about. finding one particular race attractive is not racist in the slightest, its fine normal and totally acceptable :smile:

!!!!!! This is it, this is the correct answer
For me it’s important that I’m sexually attracted to the person I’m in a relationship with and I’ve personally never been sexually attracted to guys of colour. I can appreciate if they’re good looking but I have never “fancied” someone of colour as they just aren’t my type. I’ve been told that makes me racist but surely I can’t force myself to be attracted to people?!

Not racist but it is a preference
No. Sexual attraction means nothing. You're racist if you regard non-whites as inferior or barely human.
Not racist but it is a preference

Was there really a need to bump a year and a half old thread to say this 😒
Doesn’t make you racist and I’m black
Original post by RealLifeJoker
Doesn’t make you racist and I’m black

So, you would date a black guy?
Original post by DecoyFerret
So, you would date a black guy?

I’m a straight male
Original post by RealLifeJoker
I’m a straight male