The Student Room Group

PGCE Secondary, is it really hard?

I have always been advised to consider teaching as I did English Lit as an undergrad degree. I found out I have to do a PGCE, is like to do it in English at secondary school but all the reviews say it’s dreadful, lifeless etc.

I just want to know is it really that bad, if I decide to do it would I have no social life?
Original post by SKrrrrr
I have always been advised to consider teaching as I did English Lit as an undergrad degree. I found out I have to do a PGCE, is like to do it in English at secondary school but all the reviews say it’s dreadful, lifeless etc.

I just want to know is it really that bad, if I decide to do it would I have no social life?

You can do plenty of other things besides teaching. Whoever has 'advised' you shouldn't give advice. You should consider teaching if you like working with children or young people and actually want to teach (a desire to deliver learning practices in a classroom setting).

PGCE is very hard. You are placed in two random schools over the academic year. Most of the PGCE will be you observing before teaching. PGCE is basically you learning about theory and practice of teaching; it's pedagogy and methods. You have to do a lot of uni assignments. Do you want to go back to school and learn about theories of teaching English? Personally, this sounds boring. I'd rather experience it first hand. But once you complete your PGCE, this gives you a qualification to teach almost in any country. I think though, it's widely accepted in European countries, Asia-Pacific and Canada.

And just to let you know, you may be teaching but it's completely unpaid. You don't get paid whilst you're on the course. There are bursaries though. You'll have to research it.

I would look at Get Into Teaching. The website will show you all the available routes you can get into; including SCITT, ITT, Assessment Only, Teach First, etc.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending