The Student Room Group
Founders Building, Royal Holloway
Royal Holloway
Egham
Visit website

Why are catered halls much less expensive than self - catered in Royal Holloway?

Title
Well in general, food is cooked for you and you get at least 3 meals
Founders Building, Royal Holloway
Royal Holloway
Egham
Visit website
you don't need to buy food yourself
Reply 3
Original post by Anonymous
Title

Hey! Being catered at RHUL means that you get a 50% discount on food bought from Founders Dining Hall or Kingswood Dining Hall (or the Hub, on weekends). I think the fact that our catered isn't entirely free (unlike unis like York, where you do get at least some free meals in my brother's experience in Vanbrugh) probably is why the price is a little lower than average. You also don't have access to kitchen facilities like a freezer or a hob -- you get a pantry with a microwave, toaster, kettle, and shared fridge, so my guess would be that you're paying less because you have less access to these facilities. :smile: To be fair, though, Founders isn't that much cheaper than Band A nowadays unless you're going for a shared room -- so I feel like prices have equalised a bit.
Royal Holloway is not a uni for someone light of pocket. That is an expensive little village. I got off the train to London and thought this is great for a day trip..
Not 3 years. Went to the complete opposite uni of Nottingham lol.
Reply 5
Original post by Realitysreflexx
Royal Holloway is not a uni for someone light of pocket. That is an expensive little village. I got off the train to London and thought this is great for a day trip..
Not 3 years. Went to the complete opposite uni of Nottingham lol.

It's not actually that bad once you factor in the fact we get the London loan allowance despite being in Surrey. It makes it a lot more doable than, say, Uni of Surrey which is just down the road in Guildford -- living on say £9000 instead of £5000 is a big difference in a place like surrey!!
Original post by octo
It's not actually that bad once you factor in the fact we get the London loan allowance despite being in Surrey. It makes it a lot more doable than, say, Uni of Surrey which is just down the road in Guildford -- living on say £9000 instead of £5000 is a big difference in a place like surrey!!

Just a load of extra debt 😂.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending