The Student Room Group

Coronavirus threatens to devastate indigenous tribes of the Amazon

https://news.sky.com/story/coronavirus-has-struck-and-the-amazon-can-do-nothing-to-protect-itself-12000664

An eye-opening insight into how the virus is wreaking havoc amongst the indigenous populations of the Amazon rainforest in Brazil. These populations are particularly susceptible to the virus, often living great distances from healthcare centres & possessing immune-systems that can't handle the level of medical intervention most people are used to.
Reply 1
I find this deeply upsetting. Do you know how exactly the virus reached these tribes? Did trading mean they have to enter infected areas?
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Moonbow
I find this deeply upsetting. Do you know how exactly the virus reached these tribes? Did trading mean they have to enter infected areas?

It's such a shame isn't it.

Manaus, the closest capital to the region, has really been hit really badly by the virus. They've been burying people using mass graves in the city for nearly two months. This city is seen as the 'gateway to the Amazon'. I imagine the fairly limited interaction between the gateway city and the local peoples has triggered the breakout.

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/05/07/americas/amazon-manaus-coronavirus-intl/index.html
Reply 3
Original post by Burridge
It's such a shame isn't it.

Manaus, the closest capital to the region, has really been hit really badly by the virus. They've been burying people using mass graves in the city for nearly two months. This city is seen as the 'gateway to the Amazon'. I imagine the fairly limited interaction between the gateway city and the local peoples has triggered the breakout.

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/05/07/americas/amazon-manaus-coronavirus-intl/index.html

It’s horrifying how fast it spreads. And they live in groups in such a way that their vulnerability is very similar. Do you think external aid will be sufficient and not too late?
Reply 4
Original post by Moonbow
It’s horrifying how fast it spreads. And they live in groups in such a way that their vulnerability is very similar. Do you think external aid will be sufficient and not too late?

Indeed, the density of their social groups as well as the prevalence of asymptomatic virus carriers means that it's so difficult to contain.

I'm really not sure about that last point, sorry! The risk of a second wave in Manaus is a real worry. How much of this is related to the disgraceful response of Jair Bolsanaro, Brazilian President, who is sceptical about the severity of the virus and has resisted efforts to curtail its spread?

When the vaccine is ready I would most definitely support the prioritising of these indigenous groups - they represent such a fragile and significant part of a rich human history it'd be devastating for that to be lost through this.
This is so sad 🙁
Reply 6
Original post by Burridge
Indeed, the density of their social groups as well as the prevalence of asymptomatic virus carriers means that it's so difficult to contain.

I'm really not sure about that last point, sorry! The risk of a second wave in Manaus is a real worry. How much of this is related to the disgraceful response of Jair Bolsanaro, Brazilian President, who is sceptical about the severity of the virus and has resisted efforts to curtail its spread?

When the vaccine is ready I would most definitely support the prioritising of these indigenous groups - they represent such a fragile and significant part of a rich human history it'd be devastating for that to be lost through this.

I definitely agree with you! It’s is such a treasured part of the Amazon and the culture is simply fascinating and near impossible to find elsewhere.
With that President, however? I fear it’ll be up to NGOs ( Non Government Organisations) to fund any efforts to save it with what little they can as has been with lots of the deforestation there.
Reply 7
Poor devils :frown:
Is there no part of the world that the Chinese communist government won't have killed people in 2020?
Original post by Just my opinion
Is there no part of the world that the Chinese communist government won't have killed people in 2020?

Come on man...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending