The Student Room Group

(For doctors) what cars do you guys drive/how much do you spend on motoring?

For those who own a car and commute to work, what cars do you own?

I ask because I love cars but I also love being financially sensible so spend a lot of time thinking about what to buy and I'm curious about how other people roll. Any advice/regrets?

Scroll to see replies

Citroen C1 (first and only car, bought as a student years ago). Very economical and fits into tight spaces easily. Driven it up and down the length of the UK and it hasn't let me down yet. No ULEZ charge either if you're planning on living in London in the future.

VW Golf or Up also look good but I'm in no rush to change.
Original post by Hasenhuttlgoesin
For those who own a car and commute to work, what cars do you own?

I ask because I love cars but I also love being financially sensible so spend a lot of time thinking about what to buy and I'm curious about how other people roll. Any advice/regrets?

Seriously who loves being financially sensible? 😂

That aside the most important thing as a young driver (let’s assume you are one) is the insurance.

Insurance costs can be crippling the higher size of engine etc.

Everyone knows about miles per gallon and about what cars depreciate by so you can work that one out yourself for what is affordable for you.

If I were you I would start with what cars I like and can afford then move straight to insurance to rule out particular cars
I've had my car keyed at work (seemed to be a random attack - parked super early when there weren't other vehicles around, came out of work to find it vandalised) which would put me off buying anything too nice. I'm not fussed about cars anyway, I also had a Citroen C1 for few years and thought it was a decent first car. It is worth thinking about the insurance before buying and how you are going to look after it.
Why for doctors? I don’t understand the connection between being a doctor and needing a particular car.
Sorry hadn't realised this was for doctors only.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by RedGiant
Why for doctors? I don’t understand the connection between being a doctor and needing a particular car.

I tried to ask this in a junior doctors forum but I think I may have messed it up and a moderator kindly made an amendment to the title for me.
I'm asking fellow junior doctors as we have comparable salaries depending on our experience so I wanted to find out the thoughts of other people a bit more experienced than me. More than happy to hear from other young professionals though!
Toyota Yaris. Really reliable. Could park in all the tiny spots. Economical to run.
The point about car parks makes a lot of sense. I don't know how a junior doctor can justify a Merc S class though!

I will definitely buy old but it's finding the right age/millage that will mean I still don't have to pay a lot in maintenance that I find difficult. I'm coming from a car with 68 BHP so anything will be an improvement I'm sure. I've seen a lot of consultants with surprisingly modest cars which was a surprise.
Original post by TheRabbit
I've had my car keyed at work (seemed to be a random attack - parked super early when there weren't other vehicles around, came out of work to find it vandalised) which would put me off buying anything too nice. I'm not fussed about cars anyway, I also had a Citroen C1 for few years and thought it was a decent first car. It is worth thinking about the insurance before buying and how you are going to look after it.

That's awful. I never understand people that do that. It's a shame that other people's malice can put people off purchasing a nice car.
I tried to ask this in a junior doctors forum but I think I may have messed it up and a moderator kindly made an amendment to the title for me.
I'm asking fellow junior doctors as we have comparable salaries depending on our experience so I wanted to find out the thoughts of other people a bit more experienced than me. More than happy to hear from other young professionals though!

Fair enough
I bought a new golf when still a med student, now FY1, costs me £300 a month, but I had a good job back then too, and not many other outgoings. I would say though if you’re spending a significant amount, make sure its for a car you really love, otherwise there’s much better cheaper options out there.
I'm an FY1 and drive a mercedes A class. Absolutely love it - it's a totally unnecessary expense (although my PCP is about £325 a month so not too bad) but it's so nice to get into at the end of an awful day at work.
I won’t deny I drive a much fancied car than most, but I knew I would be commuting and wanted to do it in comfort. I’ve been working longer than the average f2 so am in a slightly different financial position but also do extra locums to pay for the things I like.
It is personal preference and depends on your financial priorities
A very old MX-5. Bought when we were young DINKYs living in London, using public transport for work and only really driving for occasional weekends away. Not an ideal fit with having a family and doing an 80 mile round trip commute each day! We have a bigger car for taking the kids to nursery, but my husband does that, so I take the little car for work.

I guess at least it's easy to park in tight spaces! But the next one will be something a bit more sensible with AC and more comfortable seats!
I'll join Citroen C1 crew.

Such a good car - not winning any uphill acceleration contests but gets up to like 90 on the motorway without trouble so what more do you need? And with the fuel efficiency, easy to park, serviced everywhere, reliability - never need anything else.... until kids come along XD!
Original post by SpringNicht
I'm an FY1 and drive a mercedes A class. Absolutely love it - it's a totally unnecessary expense (although my PCP is about £325 a month so not too bad) but it's so nice to get into at the end of an awful day at work.

Nice car! I mean, considering buying cost and depreciation, even a “cheap car” will cost you a couple hundred even before insurance, tax and fuel so it really isn’t bad!
Original post by ForestCat
I won’t deny I drive a much fancied car than most, but I knew I would be commuting and wanted to do it in comfort. I’ve been working longer than the average f2 so am in a slightly different financial position but also do extra locums to pay for the things I like.
It is personal preference and depends on your financial priorities

Absolutely. Is your car on finance or have you bought it outright?
Absolutely. Is your car on finance or have you bought it outright?

I own it because the bank gave an interest rate 1/3 of the car dealership and I don’t change cars very often (it may not be financially sound but I object to just renting cars, I like to own them)
I would love to own a Tesla 3 :colondollar: Or any similar 100% electric car in the future that has a fantastic range, with a rapid 0-60 (For safety of course, to avoid any accidents :tongue: ).

I don't feel anybody is on Tesla's level at the moment.

I mean - it's the little touches. Like turning on your car heating 15 minutes before getting in the car via your phone. So everything is nice and warm.

---

Of course my junior doctor budget does not stretch to this. I own an Astra. :biggrin:

#MoetMedics
(edited 3 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending