The Student Room Group

Has anybody here bought a car from Motors.co.uk?

I have found a car on motors.co.uk that I’d like to buy. The dealership it is from has very good reviews, all 5 star.

They advertise their cars through motors.co.uk, and I’m just wondering, is there any additional charges or fees because of this? I want to pay monthly for the car so I have to go through CarMoney (finance broker) for that, and apparently motors.co.uk is a credit broker?? What does this mean?

I wish I could buy a car straight from the dealership instead of going through motors.co.uk, but if I did that then I wouldn’t be able to pay monthly would I?

I plan on phoning the dealership and asking them all these questions but I have awful social anxiety so I’d like some feedback off some people before I go ahead.
No reason you can't contact the dealer themselves and ask what finance options they have (or investigate your own) - those dealers certainly don't do all their business through the motors website.

Finance & Credit brokers pretty much just put you in touch with various actual credit providers for a small fee/commission, they aren't the ones actually lending you the money - in much the same way as the Motors website isn't the one actually selling you a car, they're just putting you in touch with those that do for a small fee

(In many cases these dealers will have their own individual websites which may have different finance options etc to save you calling them all)
(edited 5 months ago)
Might be worth reading the car finance guides on Money Saving Expert, so you are familiar with some of the terms and options:

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/car-finance/
Reply 3
Original post by StriderHort
No reason you can't contact the dealer themselves and ask what finance options they have (or investigate your own) - those dealers certainly don't do all their business through the motors website.

Finance & Credit brokers pretty much just put you in touch with various actual credit providers for a small fee/commission, they aren't the ones actually lending you the money - in much the same way as the Motors website isn't the one actually selling you a car, they're just putting you in touch with those that do for a small fee

(In many cases these dealers will have their own individual websites which may have different finance options etc to save you calling them all)

I have checked online and unfortunately it seems like the dealer doesn’t have their own website. They have 5* reviews and the only way I can view their cars is through Motors.co.uk

How small is the fee, typically speaking?

I’m not sure if I’ll be approved finance though since my credit score is apparently 490.
(edited 5 months ago)
Original post by emzie02
I have checked online and unfortunately it seems like the dealer doesn’t have their own website. They have 5* reviews and the only way I can view their cars is through Motors.co.uk

How small is the fee, typically speaking?

I’m not sure if I’ll be approved finance though since my credit score is apparently 490.

I suppose it is possible there will be some smaller garages that for whatever reason choose to only advertise through a 3rd party like Motors, but I'd still consider it a bit of a of a red flag if they weren't willing to deal with you directly.

In terms of any fees that's not something they disclose, but if they are acting as a broker to find you a car, finance or insurance, you can bet there is money changing hands somewhere.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending