The Student Room Group

Developing my degree for my future career?

I am currently studying a joint honours degree in law and media/communications. Hoping to become a teacher post degree.
I was just wondering if anyone had any ideas on how to further develop possibly some experience? or things that would help me with becoming a teacher?
I think I want to teach law specifically at the current moment.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by Bmay19
I am currently studying a joint honours degree in law and media/communications. Hoping to become a teacher post degree.
I was just wondering if anyone had any ideas on how to further develop possibly some experience? or thongs that would help me with becoming a teacher?

Thongs I'm afraid are not advisable for a teaching career generally.
Original post by Bmay19
I was just wondering if anyone had any ideas on how to further develop possibly some experience? or thongs that would help me with becoming a teacher?

What level do you want to teach at?

I don't think there are many law teaching jobs at secondary level as it is not a widely taught subject, especially at GCSE. There are currently 6 jobs on TES. Most of these teaching jobs are for sixth form centers or colleges. The jobs advertised aren't for law alone, but law with other subjects like psychology and government and politics.

If you choose law to teach, be prepared to teach other subjects. If you get a secondary PGCE (11-18) and ultimately teach at a college, be aware that the longer you work in a college environment, the more difficult it will be to then go and work in a secondary school as your experience will be tailored to one specific age range.

In terms of teaching experience, you could try tutoring. Especially with how things are at the moment, online tutoring might be a good way of developing your expertise and familiarity with the curriculum. You also need to try and get experience with the age range you want to teach. When I was training for secondary, I also had to complete a week in a primary school (I don't know if this is still the case). It may be difficult to get experience in a school with how chaotic everything is going to be for the foreseeable future.
Original post by Bmay19
I was just wondering if anyone had any ideas on how to further develop possibly some experience? or things that would help me with becoming a teacher?

Hello @Bmay19

If you need help to apply for a primary of secondary school teacher training course, register here or call . If you'd like to teach in the FE (college) sector, then have a look through the information here.

All the best,

Jane
Reply 4
Original post by Englishteacher24
What level do you want to teach at?

I don't think there are many law teaching jobs at secondary level as it is not a widely taught subject, especially at GCSE. There are currently 6 jobs on TES. Most of these teaching jobs are for sixth form centers or colleges. The jobs advertised aren't for law alone, but law with other subjects like psychology and government and politics.

If you choose law to teach, be prepared to teach other subjects. If you get a secondary PGCE (11-18) and ultimately teach at a college, be aware that the longer you work in a college environment, the more difficult it will be to then go and work in a secondary school as your experience will be tailored to one specific age range.

In terms of teaching experience, you could try tutoring. Especially with how things are at the moment, online tutoring might be a good way of developing your expertise and familiarity with the curriculum. You also need to try and get experience with the age range you want to teach. When I was training for secondary, I also had to complete a week in a primary school (I don't know if this is still the case). It may be difficult to get experience in a school with how chaotic everything is going to be for the foreseeable future.

Thank you, I am interested in teaching either at secondary or at sixth form/college level, I will have a deeper look into it thank you for your help
Reply 5
Original post by Get into Teaching
Hello @Bmay19

If you need help to apply for a primary of secondary school teacher training course, register here or call . If you'd like to teach in the FE (college) sector, then have a look through the information here.

All the best,

Jane

Thank you I appreciate this!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending