The Student Room Group

Is geography A-level essay based?

Is geography A-level essay based? I am in year 12 and do Edexcel geography for reference. I am considering studying International Relations at Uni which I assume is essay based, but since I study maths, chemistry, physics and geography at a level, I am worried that I would be too inexperienced in writing. So basically is geography an essay based subject?
Very. The 20 and 9m questions will make you appreciate your non-essay based subjects more because I find them quite difficult.
Original post by galaxyemma
Is geography A-level essay based? I am in year 12 and do Edexcel geography for reference. I am considering studying International Relations at Uni which I assume is essay based, but since I study maths, chemistry, physics and geography at a level, I am worried that I would be too inexperienced in writing. So basically is geography an essay based subject?

I mean, there are essays but it's not as essay based as English/history because those subjects are basically just essays whereas with geography, you might get a random maths question, or a multiple choice, or a short 4 marker and then a few 20 markers.
Original post by neko no basu
I mean, there are essays but it's not as essay based as English/history because those subjects are basically just essays whereas with geography, you might get a random maths question, or a multiple choice, or a short 4 marker and then a few 20 markers.

With AQA, the shortest questions are 4 marks as they have removed multiple-choice questions.
Original post by Lightning720
With AQA, the shortest questions are 4 marks as they have removed multiple-choice questions.

Really? that's a shame :frown: i like multiple-choice questions haha. I did Edexcel... I think there's a few multiple choice Qs in there although I didn't actually sit the exam so idk
Reply 5
Thank you for all the replys! Just for clarification, I am in sixth form already doing geography A level, I just don't know how essay based it is as I don't have any other written subject to compare it with (e.g History, Sociology etc).
Really? that's a shame :frown: i like multiple-choice questions haha. I did Edexcel... I think there's a few multiple choice Qs in there although I didn't actually sit the exam so idk

How hard is edexcel a level geography? I'm considering if I should pick it
Original post by AK1606
How hard is edexcel a level geography? I'm considering if I should pick it

A fair amount of it is GCSE knowledge but a bit more in depth. More case studies, more topics, some new stuff (especially for physical geography) but generally it's not that different to GCSE. Oh and coursework, I guess that's the most "new" thing about A level edexcel geog that you didn't have at GCSE
A fair amount of it is GCSE knowledge but a bit more in depth. More case studies, more topics, some new stuff (especially for physical geography) but generally it's not that different to GCSE. Oh and coursework, I guess that's the most "new" thing about A level edexcel geog that you didn't have at GCSE

What do you have to do for the coursework?
Original post by AK1606
What do you have to do for the coursework?

For AQA (and I'm fairly sure it's very similar for other exam boards), you complete an independent investigation. It's basically a scientific report with hypothesis, aims, methods, literature (basically use sources to support what you are trying to investigate), geographical context, data presentation, analysis, conclusions, and evaluation. AQA recommends 3000-4000 words but I did over 12,000 words (I bet my teacher loved me for that :biggrin:). It was out of 60 marks and was 20% of the A-Level.
(edited 3 years ago)
Hi. I did edexcel a level geography.
It can be essay based at times. The 20mark questions is a lot of writing but there are a lot of short answer questions and maths questions as well. There is also the coursework which is a fair amount of writing.
I really enjoyed geography a level and I really would suggest that you don’t get put off by the essay side of it. You may find that it helps prepare you for uni life where you may find you have to write essays for coursework. It also really helps you to develop skills in critical thinking something else which has helped me massively at uni.

Quick Reply

Latest