The Student Room Group

panic attacks.

I was wondering if panic attacks are worrying, like even if it's severe or not because I've had my worst and biggest one in school which still makesm e cry to the thought of. however, when I tell people as I get them, they don't seem to think its major? I mean is it not? I'm just a little confused because I know it's not life-threatening, but people see it as nothing?

hope u know what i mean aha
I think the issue with panic attacks, and anxiety in general, is that people experiencing stress or some worrying are quick to describe themselves as having anxiety or panic attacks when it's really just normal amounts of worrying ygm. This then leads to people underestimating how severe it actually is, so many of my friends thought a panic attack was just a couple minutes of racing thoughts and feeling worried then they were really taken aback when they saw me sitting on the floor curled up into a ball feeling like I was gonna die for 30 minutes :tongue: So yeah my point is people really underestimate anxiety and panic attacks, it's definitely not nothing!
Original post by Anonymous
I was wondering if panic attacks are worrying, like even if it's severe or not because I've had my worst and biggest one in school which still makesm e cry to the thought of. however, when I tell people as I get them, they don't seem to think its major? I mean is it not? I'm just a little confused because I know it's not life-threatening, but people see it as nothing?

how does it feel
Reply 3
Original post by nathan1403
I think the issue with panic attacks, and anxiety in general, is that people experiencing stress or some worrying are quick to describe themselves as having anxiety or panic attacks when it's really just normal amounts of worrying ygm. This then leads to people underestimating how severe it actually is, so many of my friends thought a panic attack was just a couple minutes of racing thoughts and feeling worried then they were really taken aback when they saw me sitting on the floor curled up into a ball feeling like I was gonna die for 30 minutes :tongue: So yeah my point is people really underestimate anxiety and panic attacks, it's definitely not nothing!

thank u.
Reply 4
like i feel like i cant breathe at all and i wheeze so so much, my vision becomes either too strong or too blurry if that makes sense. and sometimes, its so hard to control that i stop and then after 2 mins it comes back like for a whole hour, if that makes sense its like i feel like im dying and i know thats the generic description of it, but genuinely i feel like i am suffocating. sometimes, its like 5 mins, other days an hour, and some other times its like in between.

honestly, i dont know if this made sense but i hope u got quite the description. i sometimes have a lot of thoughts about dying or how i could die, or suffocate in the worst way possible. you may think i sound depressed, but to be honest i dont feel like i am because its not constant, i dont understand it either.

thanks for listening.
Original post by Anonymous

Hi there, thank you so much for sharing your how difficult you are finding your panic attacks, that takes lots of courage to do.

I would like to share with you that panic attacks are completely different for everyone and what could be easy to get through for one person can be extremely difficult for another, we are all individuals so please try to remember that.

I am an adviser on HOPELINEUK and lots of people are impacted by panic attacks so you're really not alone.

I can share some links to support services that you might find useful.
https://youngminds.org.uk/
https://www.themix.org.uk/

The PAPYRUS website: https://papyrus-uk.org/ also offers a list of coping strategies that could possibly help too.

Take care now
Erika

Quick Reply

Latest