The Student Room Group

Am I the only one really anxious about starting uni?

Everyone says that you're all in the same boat when you start university but all the uni groupchats I'm in all say that they're not nervous at all and they're just excited to go. I'm excited, I'm going somewhere I love to do something I'm really passionate about. I'm also having panic attacks every night thinking about it. Talking to these other people that I'm starting with come September, it feels like I'm the only one that feels this way. They say they're just excited, and honestly I'm ******** myself at the thought of leaving home and being myself with loads of people I don't know and every other aspect of uni life. All of it is terrifying to me. Please tell me I'm not alone in this :frown:
Original post by NovakWinchester
Everyone says that you're all in the same boat when you start university but all the uni groupchats I'm in all say that they're not nervous at all and they're just excited to go. I'm excited, I'm going somewhere I love to do something I'm really passionate about. I'm also having panic attacks every night thinking about it. Talking to these other people that I'm starting with come September, it feels like I'm the only one that feels this way. They say they're just excited, and honestly I'm ******** myself at the thought of leaving home and being myself with loads of people I don't know and every other aspect of uni life. All of it is terrifying to me. Please tell me I'm not alone in this :frown:

It is perfectly normal to be anxious.

You probably feel very secure in your current environment, and you’re going into a new unknown environment.

All across the country 100,000s of students go to uni. And they all develop and progress. Uni is actually a very empowering experience as the uni & your family can support you. But you have the opportunity to learn life skills & independence.

Try to relax & think about the exciting opportunities you’ll have.
Reply 2

Literally moving over 4 hours away from home (london) into the north and im an ethnic minority also so im terrified as well. Also since I don’t know anyone or what life is like there

Your not alone in this. A lot of people are excited, but wont admit they are actually scared as well. Its a big leap to going to independence, budgeting, cooking, working and socializing with a bunch of people you don't know yet. When it comes to making any friends its all a bit trial and error. you will find some people at the start you thought were great in freshers, but become annoying. Or some people who you thought were too extrovert, turn into the best of friends and compassionate with you. There are some things you can do now to prepare, like cooking, washing cleaning ironing etc, and if you get your student finance award to start making a budgeting system. You will feel a little bit more prepared so come uni day, its not so daunting. And make sure you get yourself out there. Sign up for lots of societies, and leave your door open on move in day so people know your a person that's willing to say hello on the first day :smile:
Original post by sarah_parksx
Literally moving over 4 hours away from home (london) into the north and im an ethnic minority also so im terrified as well. Also since I don’t know anyone or what life is like there

There's plenty of societies you can join so your not alone and ethnic minority ones too :smile: As for what life it like there, you could go and visit the town/city before you go perhaps. Maybe see if there are any vloggers on that university, or just uni vloggers in general to get an insight into uni life to get you excited about it. I'm sure you will make lots of new friends, just got to embrace it and get yourself out there and you will meet people who will be come your best friends :smile:
Reply 4
Definitely not alone!!
I will be uprooting my partner and 2 year old daughter no matter which uni I get accepted in to! My partner has had the issue with work as to whether he can work from home, which shouldn't have been an issue but for some reason was, so that was an added stress!
Being a mature student (34!!) I'm particularly nervous about making new friends and just not knowing the area I move to, worried I may move to a dodgy area, worried I'll uproot my family and fail the entire course, worried about moving away from other family and friends, worried about giving up my job and having to live only off my partners wage, worried financial pressures will affect my ability to focus on my course and it may affect my relationship.... list is endless!!
(edited 3 years ago)
Don't worry, I felt the exact same.

It feels very daunting at first, but it just becomes a way of life. You will adapt and have fun along the way. It's fun to tackle some new challenges.

Good luck.
I'm not - but only because I'm flipping it on it's head and saying 'I'm not nervous - I'm excited!'

For this reason, I literally cannot wait to begin. :yep:
Reply 7

I'm half way through my degree, and I can promise you that every single uni friend I have was absolutely ****ting themselves come freshers week. Most people will put on a smile and confident act (fake it till you make it can be very helpful in scary situations like this), but once you settle down and get to know people better, you'll all laugh at how nervous you all were the first week or so. Please remember that many people will say one thing on a group chat and feel another in real life, especially as (I'm assuming) none of you have met each other before they're unlikely to chat about how nervous they are, because like you they think everyone else seems super confident! It's perfectly normal to feel a little anxious before starting something totally new and foreign to you, but panic attacks every night sounds a little worrying, please seek help reach out to people you trust and maybe discuss your worries with them, if you feel you need to. Uni is definitely scary before you're used to it, but take comfort in that you're going somewhere you want to be to do something you love! I was terrified before uni, but now I look back and laugh at how I begged my dad to turn the car around just before we arrived (luckily he didn't listen to me!)! I'm sure you'll have a blast when you're there, you are definitely not alone in this :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by Ghostlady
Your not alone in this. A lot of people are excited, but wont admit they are actually scared as well. Its a big leap to going to independence, budgeting, cooking, working and socializing with a bunch of people you don't know yet. When it comes to making any friends its all a bit trial and error. you will find some people at the start you thought were great in freshers, but become annoying. Or some people who you thought were too extrovert, turn into the best of friends and compassionate with you. There are some things you can do now to prepare, like cooking, washing cleaning ironing etc, and if you get your student finance award to start making a budgeting system. You will feel a little bit more prepared so come uni day, its not so daunting. And make sure you get yourself out there. Sign up for lots of societies, and leave your door open on move in day so people know your a person that's willing to say hello on the first day :smile:

There's plenty of societies you can join so your not alone and ethnic minority ones too :smile: As for what life it like there, you could go and visit the town/city before you go perhaps. Maybe see if there are any vloggers on that university, or just uni vloggers in general to get an insight into uni life to get you excited about it. I'm sure you will make lots of new friends, just got to embrace it and get yourself out there and you will meet people who will be come your best friends :smile:

Thank you for such a sweet reply! I will take your advice.

Quick Reply

Latest