The Student Room Group

Cambridge Colleges

Hi. So I am going to apply to Cambridge this year for 2021 entry. Due to the current situation, visiting colleges was not possible. I don't want to spend too much time deciding on a college, but I don't want to make an open application either. So, to the undergraduates at Cambridge, does your college meet the criteria below?

Fairly large (I'd like to meet new people)
Pretty (So not really Churchill)
Good kitchen facilities
Bathrooms (so not too old)
Decent gym facilities
Mixed, undergraduates (not mature or women only)
Close to the Department of Engineering
Prefable no minimal meals charge
(Any other quirks that would be good for an engineering student)

Scroll to see replies

Not sure if you have already looked at this but the colleges have a 360 degree tours so you can have a look around them virtually, I know it's not the same as being there but it might help you get a 'feel' for the place and it might help you with a couple of your bullet points (bearing in mind 'pretty' is quite a personal opinion)... Hope this helps :smile:
Original post by Igorzycho
Hi. So I am going to apply to Cambridge this year for 2021 entry. Due to the current situation, visiting colleges was not possible. I don't want to spend too much time deciding on a college, but I don't want to make an open application either. So, to the undergraduates at Cambridge, does your college meet the criteria below?

Fairly large (I'd like to meet new people)
Pretty (So not really Churchill)
Good kitchen facilities
Bathrooms (so not too old)
Decent gym facilities
Mixed, undergraduates (not mature or women only)
Close to the Department of Engineering
Prefable no minimal meals charge
(Any other quirks that would be good for an engineering student)

Homerton fits most of these! Kitchen facilities aren't great though. It's far from the centre of town, but not actually that far from the engineering department (e.g. not much further than John's).
Reply 3
Original post by sweeneyrod
Homerton fits most of these! Kitchen facilities aren't great though. It's far from the centre of town, but not actually that far from the engineering department (e.g. not much further than John's).

Thanks, I'll be sure to check out Homerton's website and take a virtual tour!
Downing is the one that fits most of these criteria best. I object to Homerton being described as 'near the Engineering department' or 'pretty', haha
Original post by Parliament
Downing is the one that fits most of these criteria best. I object to Homerton being described as 'near the Engineering department' or 'pretty', haha

If you cycle to West Cambridge and back every day it definitely seems near! Don't know why you'd complain about the architecture tho, the core of it is nice Victorian stuff like Selwyn or Newnham. It has some modern accommodation like basically all colleges, but I think that's pretty inoffensive in comparison to John's Cripps Court etc.
If you cycle to West Cambridge and back every day it definitely seems near! Don't know why you'd complain about the architecture tho, the core of it is nice Victorian stuff like Selwyn or Newnham. It has some modern accommodation like basically all colleges, but I think that's pretty inoffensive in comparison to John's Cripps Court etc.

Haha I mean, sure, in the same way that if you commute to Leeds every day then Birmingham is a mere stone's throw from London! I'd only really say that Downing, Peterhouse, and Pembroke are objectively close to the department. Not personally a fan of Hom's modern looks but in many other ways it's a great college, not knocking it at all!
Reply 7
Original post by MedicPls
Fitz is pretty much all of those, but isn't that pretty with regard to the architecture - that's its only downfall! It has lovely gardens, great kitchen facilities, free gym, good accommodation (en suite rooms) and all the rest though :smile:

Awesome, thanks!
Reply 8
Original post by Parliament

Downing does look quite nice. I'll definitely look into this one! Also, the Downing Blake Society seems rather exciting.
Reply 9
Original post by Sophhhowa
Look at the story highlight on choosing a cam college here: https://www.instagram.com/science.with.soph/

Unfortunately, I am unable to view the story or posts, but from your front page, it looks like you're an incredibly hardworking person. Congratulations on your Cambridge offer! I'll check you out on Youtube.
Reply 10

Looking at the pictures, Homerton seems rather nice in terms of architecture. St John's College looks stunning, but John's Cripps Court looks a bit bleak. Is that where you'd be staying if you studied at St John's?
Original post by Sophhhowa
Look at the story highlight on choosing a cam college here:

Please don't use TSR to advertise and promote your IG channel. This is against the rules. Thanks :smile:
Looking at the pictures, Homerton seems rather nice in terms of architecture. St John's College looks stunning, but John's Cripps Court looks a bit bleak. Is that where you'd be staying if you studied at St John's?

You do know that as a first-year undegrad you won't be staying in any of the 'pretty parts' of colleges? 'Prettiness' is a poor selection criterion when it comes to Colleges.
Reply 13
Original post by Reality Check
You do know that as a first-year undegrad you won't be staying in any of the 'pretty parts' of colleges? 'Prettiness' is a poor selection criterion when it comes to Colleges.

I honestly don't know much about accommodation at Cambridge or how it works. I am aware that there are ballots or that different years stay in different accommodations. Beautiful accommodation is not my top priority, but walking around a pretty college would be nice :smile: I stayed at Churchill once and although the buildings were unsightly, the rooms themselves were very good.
I honestly don't know much about accommodation at Cambridge or how it works. I am aware that there are ballots or that different years stay in different accommodations. Beautiful accommodation is not my top priority, but walking around a pretty college would be nice :smile: I stayed at Churchill once and although the buildings were unsightly, the rooms themselves were very good.

Yes, Churchill rooms are quite good. Most of the older colleges house undergrad students in hostels away from the main college buildings - you certainly wouldn't get to live in the main part of an old college in your first year, and as you say, rooms are balloted in subsequent years. Remember too that you'll be supervised at various other colleges, and make friends at other colleges too, so there's ample opportunity to sample the architectural delights of, say, Johns or Trinity without actually being a member of that college.

Personally, I'd base any college decision on facilities, ethos and location to your proposed course of study - but they're all much of a muchness anyway when it comes down to it. :smile:
Reply 15
Yes, Churchill rooms are quite good. Most of the older colleges house undergrad students in hostels away from the main college buildings - you certainly wouldn't get to live in the main part of an old college in your first year, and as you say, rooms are balloted in subsequent years. Remember too that you'll be supervised at various other colleges, and make friends at other colleges too, so there's ample opportunity to sample the architectural delights of, say, Johns or Trinity without actually being a member of that college.

Personally, I'd base any college decision on facilities, ethos and location to your proposed course of study - but they're all much of a muchness anyway when it comes down to it. :smile:

Thanks a lot. Your criteria makes a lot of sense. Do you have any college suggestions based on those principles?
Thanks a lot. Your criteria makes a lot of sense. Do you have any college suggestions based on those principles?

No problem :smile: For location, Pembroke, Peterhouse or Downing are good choices. Peterhouse is small but very lovely (I'm biased :laugh: ). Downing is much bigger and Pembroke sort of in the middle (this is from memory, so don't quote me). In the end, Cambridge is a very compact city and unless you were thinking of Girton or Fitzwilliam, all the colleges are only a short cycle ride away. It depends if you want to roll out of bed into lectures - in which case, choose Downing.

That's not entirely fair, it varies radically by college.
Original post by Saracen's Fez
That's not entirely fair, it varies radically by college.

I was being broad brush - in terms of you're not going to be living in Main Court in Trinity in your first year, but you're right to say that colleges vary.

What colleges would you suggest have the 'pretty' factor for first-year undergrads then?
I was being broad brush - in terms of you're not going to be living in Main Court in Trinity in your first year, but you're right to say that colleges vary.

What colleges would you suggest have the 'pretty' factor for first-year undergrads then?

I guess the point is that you can still be in pretty, old buildings without necessarily being on the Main Court, really. I don't know about Trinity but you can live on one of the old courts at John's as a fresher (as opposed to in Cripps), Catz and Corpus I know you can live in pretty, old buildings (though again perhaps not Main Court / Old Court respectively). I'm sure there are other old colleges where that's an option partly by virtue of having fewer new buildings.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending