The Student Room Group

Essay writing/ article writing

Hi what is plagerism? I have entered a competition for college/ uni can you take an idea from somewhere and put it in an essay. It was from a newspaper I didn't copy it completely put it in my own words but still took the idea- is that plagerism or not?
Plagiarism is the practice of taking someone else's work or ideas and passing them off as one's own, so technically it is plagiarism as you are using their idea. Although, as you have put it into your own words, you probably won't get caught. It is still plagiarism though, so I wouldn't recommend you using their idea.
Original post by SAARH.A5
Plagiarism is the practice of taking someone else's work or ideas and passing them off as one's own, so technically it is plagiarism as you are using their idea. Although, as you have put it into your own words, you probably won't get caught. It is still plagiarism though, so I wouldn't recommend you using their idea.

yeah but there is different types and anyone could of thought of that. If someone spoke it would that be plagarism?
Original post by keblundell
yeah but there is different types and anyone could of thought of that. If someone spoke it would that be plagarism?

What do you mean by this? You are using their idea and claiming that it is your own, so it is plagiarism.
Original post by keblundell
Hi what is plagerism? I have entered a competition for college/ uni can you take an idea from somewhere and put it in an essay. It was from a newspaper I didn't copy it completely put it in my own words but still took the idea- is that plagerism or not?

@SAARH.A5 puts it accurately. Copying someone else's ideas, even when reworded, is plagiarism unless you reference your source.

It's academic theft, basically. You're taking the ideas and work of others and attempting to pass it off as your own. This has severe penalties in academia, so it's best to learn about it right from the beginning.

If in doubt, reference your work.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending