The Student Room Group

Researchers at top ranked universities are of about the same quality as any top 30..

..ranked university.

The UK has a high number of very good universities for its size. By and large, the reason that a top ten ranked university gets better regarded than a top 30 ranked university is:
1) The pressure it puts on its students in terms of workload, which ensures those students are more likely to get top rated degrees, as the student has no option but to work, work, work.
2) The higher grades it chooses to ask for, which ensures a reasonable amount of intelligence is entering the university. Which actually makes it easier for subpar teachers, as they can more rely on their students self-teaching. It also gives a wholly invented impression that asking for higher grades must necessarily mean that university or that course is worth more. It can be sheer advertising strategy.
3) Public perception of a place's worth.

In short, excellent staff like to go where they can be excellent, and where they can feel they excellently fit. Students should feel the same. There are likely to be AAA+ grade students at any top 30 university. It wasn't the second or third best place for them. It was the best place for them and they may be being taught by THE leading expert in their field. They may be staying in accommodation better than that available at some of the 'famous names'.
Reply 1
You genuinely think students at top 10 universities do nothing but work, work, work?

Oh sweet summer child.
Reply 2
Original post by Gazpacho.
You genuinely think students at top 10 universities do nothing but work, work, work?

Oh sweet summer child.

I based that on an article that some Oxford students need to do 3 essays a week but I see elsewhere that' it's half of that - 2 essays every 3 weeks. Which just goes further to supporting my central point that top 30 universities are potentially just about the same experience/quality as each other.
Reply 3
Original post by Picnicl
I based that on an article that some Oxford students need to do 3 essays a week but I see elsewhere that' it's half of that - 2 essays every 3 weeks. Which just goes further to supporting my central point that top 30 universities are potentially just about the same experience/quality as each other.

You used an article that states they write slightly more essays during their shorter terms to conclude such students have no option but to work, work, work?

Writing essays does not preclude one from doing other things. A lot of academically minded students have just the same university experience as others do. The busy sports fields, college bars, and what goes on after dark attests to that.

I’m also confused as to why you’ve wrote such a muddled OP that conflates research and undergraduate experience.
(edited 2 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending