The Student Room Group

Application for Social work MA for 2021

I have been working full time and i want to apply for Social work MA but I am not sure which university to apply to and how the interview process will be like. Any advice

Scroll to see replies

Original post by newpath
I have been working full time and i want to apply for Social work MA but I am not sure which university to apply to and how the interview process will be like. Any advice

Hi
Swansea University offers a Social Work MSc. I'm not sure what the interview process is like but you can ring them for a chat on 01792 518531.
Good luck with that
Anthony
Reply 2
Thank you for the advice
Reply 3
Original post by newpath

What area do you want to be in? Good universities that offer social work MA in and just north of London include Greenwich, London South Bank, Goldsmiths, East London, Middlesex, Bedfordshire. When I applied two years ago for my MA I had to apply through the UCAS undergraduate portal (which seems strange but that was the process!). I am not sure if it is still the same but probably worth a look. You had to do a personal statement etc, and get references. The interview process are different for each university but in my experience involved some sort of written test or case study task, a group activity and a one to one interview.

If you already have a degree you may want to look at Frontline, Step up and Think Ahead which are all graduate fast track schemes where you obtain a social work qualification and are paid on the job to train as the MA is a very financially draining route which takes longer!
Reply 4
Original post by efost003
What area do you want to be in? Good universities that offer social work MA in and just north of CNN finishing London include Greenwich, London South Bank, Goldsmiths, East London, Middlesex, Bedfordshire. When I applied two years ago for my MA I had to apply through the UCAS undergraduate portal (which seems strange but that was the process!). I am not sure if it is still the same but probably worth a look. You had to do a personal statement etc, and get references. The interview process are different for each university but in my experience involved some sort of written test or case study task, a group activity and a one to one interview.

If you already have a degree you may want to look at Frontline, Step up and Think Ahead which are all graduate fast track schemes where you obtain a social work qualification and are paid on the job to train as the MA is a very financially draining route which takes longer!

i currently work in the feild of mental health as a support worker and i have been inspired by other soical workers around me to try the same carrer path. the university that I wish to attend is Greewich university. However I do want to apply to other universities as well .
(edited 3 years ago)
Im planning on applying for 2021 entry, but I’m put off by the thought of spending another 2 full years of studying.. I’d love to jump straight into it with the opportunity of being paid for working, like in Frontline or Step Up but they run every two years which means waiting till 2022. I cannot afford NOT to work whilst the put me on a unpaid placement for 40 hrs a week on the regular MA course.

On the list of accredited courses on https://www.socialworkengland.org.uk/education-training/search-approved-courses/ I’ve found an Open university PG Dip that is year and a half long. I need to work whist I study so it’s something to consider ...
Original post by newpath
i currently work in the feild of mental health as a support worker and i have been inspired by other soical workers around me to try the same carrer path. the university that I wish to attend is Greewich univerity. However I do want to apply to ther univerities.

Hello @newpath

Glad to see you are considering the University of Greenwich :smile: If you have any questions please let me know

Furtunà
Original post by newpath

Hello,

Social Work MA at Middlesex is innovative and accelerated postgraduate social work course which offers the opportunity to engage with an intensive and immersive programme of teaching and learning integrating practice placements. Over the duration of the programme, you will develop into a competent and enthusiastic social work practitioner ready to engage with the rigours of this dynamic and exciting profession. We have excellent relationships with local employers through our long-standing stakeholder group. As a result, some of your teaching with be co-delivered by practising social workers and service users.
This programme offers an accelerated route to becoming a professional social worker for highly motivated recent graduates or for career changers looking for new challenges and opportunities. You will be able to develop into an excellent and valued social worker with the capacity to work in all statutory social work settings and in a wide variety of private and voluntary workplaces in the UK and abroad. You will also be able to take advantage of high quality placements in both adult and children’s services including a final 100 day placement where you will undertake statutory interventions.

If you would like more about interview please use this link: https://www.mdx.ac.uk/courses/postgraduate/social-work-ma
1) scroll down to entry requirements
2) click on Admissions and Interview Advice
3) please read carefully what is written there.

If you still have questions or need help let me know. Good luck with your application! Best, Alex :smile:
Original post by Stella1993
Im planning on applying for 2021 entry, but I’m put off by the thought of spending another 2 full years of studying.. I’d love to jump straight into it with the opportunity of being paid for working, like in Frontline or Step Up but they run every two years which means waiting till 2022. I cannot afford NOT to work whilst the put me on a unpaid placement for 40 hrs a week on the regular MA course.

On the list of accredited courses on https://www.socialworkengland.org.uk/education-training/search-approved-courses/ I’ve found an Open university PG Dip that is year and a half long. I need to work whist I study so it’s something to consider ...

Hey 👋

I just wanted to throw in that Frontline do it every year. Applications open in September so just something to consider 🙂
Original post by MelissaLuna
Hey 👋

I just wanted to throw in that Frontline do it every year. Applications open in September so just something to consider 🙂

Thanks!:smile: Yes, Frontline runs every year and I’ll be applying this September...
Original post by Stella1993
Thanks!:smile: Yes, Frontline runs every year and I’ll be applying this September..

I'm going to be applying this year also. Goodluck with your application 😊
Reply 11
Original post by UniofGreenwich
Hello @newpath

Glad to see you are considering the University of Greenwich :smile: If you have any questions please let me know

Furtunà

Hey Furtuna,

Thanks for replying it is very reassuring.

In terms of references, what is ideal to see on an application form for the course Social Work MA. I have been working as a support worker going on 3 years now and my Manger will be happy to be my reference but would I need an academic reference to apply for the course. As I have graduated and my course head of department is no longer at my university.
Hey newpath, have you started on your personal statement?

Original post by newpath
Original post by hasan-1-

Hi there , are you applying for masters in social work as well? :smile:
I dropped out of Frontline due to not having GCSE so I'm currently in the process of applying to do MA at Bournemouth University.
Original post by newpath
Hey Furtuna,

Thanks for replying it is very reassuring.

In terms of references, what is ideal to see on an application form for the course Social Work MA. I have been working as a support worker going on 3 years now and my Manger will be happy to be my reference but would I need an academic reference to apply for the course. As I have graduated and my course head of department is no longer at my university.

Hi @newpath

You're fine to use just professional references if you have been out of education for some time :smile:

Hope this helps!

Devina
Reply 16
Original post by maliboo99
Hi there , are you applying for masters in social work as well? :smile:

Yes I am

are you thinking of applying
Reply 17
Original post by hasan-1-

Yes I have started my personal statement for the course
Original post by newpath
Yes I am

are you thinking of applying

Same ! Messaged you 🧡
Hi

Have you heard from your Unis yet? Bournemouth asked me for some extra evidence regarding my settled status, but that’s about it!

Quick Reply

Latest