The Student Room Group

Anyone in need of English help...

Heya all you amazing people.

I’ve seen a lot of posts going round TSR where people are confused or want support with English, both Literature and Language, or just would like someone to read through their work...... so I wanted to create a thread where I can help any of you guys out with your English needs.

I have decided to relaunch this page for this academic year - so feel free to flood the chat with English and History questions. I achieved 9s my English and History GCSEs and am now taking both these subjects at A-level. I love chatting all things literature and am more than happy to help you read through works, advice on exams and past papers etc, or anything else you might need!

And so welcome to this thread, you are, whatever your experience with English has been, completely welcome here. You, yes, you reading this, are an incredible person, and I would love to help you out with whatever your English needs....

‘For it would seem - her case proved it- that we write, not with the fingers, but with the whole person. The nerve which controls the pen winds itself about every fibre of our being, thread the heart, pierces the liver.’ - Virginia Woolf, Orlando
(edited 1 year ago)

Scroll to see replies

hi! what sort of format would you suggest using to answer the various different exam questions. i understand what we are being taught, but my teachers are yet to teach us how to answer exam questions. i used to enjoy English so much, but since moving to secondary, i find myself struggling with it, as I've always been in the top sets, meaning we're given the bad teachers as they assume we already know everything. I'm trying to improve my predicted grades, as the ones I've been given I'm not happy with.
Reply 2
Original post by Student_studies

I’ve seen a lot of posts going round TSR where people are confused or want support with English, both Literature and Language, or just would like someone to read through their work...... so I wanted to create a thread where I can help any of you guys out with your English needs.

A little about me, I’m a Year 10 going into Year 11 GCSE student, predicted both 9s in Literature and Language, and just generally someone with a huge passion for English. It’s my dream to complete a degree in English Literature and spend the rest of my life dancing with words, because words can be powerful, magic and I want to use them to help people, raise awareness, inspire.

And so welcome to this thread, you are, whatever your experience with English has been, completely welcome here. You, yes, you reading this, are an incredible person, and I would love to help you out with whatever your English needs....

‘For it would seem - her case proved it- that we write, not with the fingers, but with the whole person. The nerve which controls the pen winds itself about every fibre of our being, thread the heart, pierces the liver.’ - Virginia Woolf, Orlando

I’m in year 11 so about to get my results, and my result are high in everything except English language, as my creative writing really isn’t great (apparently I tend to make scenes sound too static 😳). Please could you give any tips on how to write a descriptive that doesn’t sound too drawn out or so? :smile:
Original post by jasmin_691
hi! what sort of format would you suggest using to answer the various different exam questions. i understand what we are being taught, but my teachers are yet to teach us how to answer exam questions. i used to enjoy English so much, but since moving to secondary, i find myself struggling with it, as I've always been in the top sets, meaning we're given the bad teachers as they assume we already know everything. I'm trying to improve my predicted grades, as the ones I've been given I'm not happy with.

Okay so..

Firstly below is a link to a fantastic document that may help you with understanding how to structure your answers and what to include for language etc - I would highly suggest you check it out:

https://www.ktemplar.herts.sch.uk/Learning/English/GCSE_English_Language_Papers_1_and_2_Revision_Guide.pdf

And yeh, I completely understand that. It’s all about now, once you understand the content, being able to translate that into an exam sense. For literature, it can sometimes feel more complicated - it’s a whole book or poem and then you have to specify and layout a response. There are a variety of mnemonics that I use for structuring essays.

So lets break this down, you have a literature essay right, say for example the question is ‘How does Dickens present Scrooge’s fears in a Christmas Carol?’

Your first step would be planning your response to this, it is important to find out how long you are supposed to spend on a particular question and then chunk the time up into planning, writing and checking. I would recommend doing this for all essay based questions, so when they come up you know how you are structuring your time first off - just write it down on a post-it etc and put it somewhere you can see often to remind yourself. Anyways, planning is a key stage for any essay, especially in literature. You need to firstly ensure you have 3-4 points, quotes to support each one, and for certain questions in lit, to get those higher marks you must include context so add a few points into your planning as well.

Once you have completed that, it’s time to start the essay, although there is no direct need for an intro for essays answering questions similar to the one I suggested, I always think, especially if you’re aiming for those top marks a 2-3 sentence paragraph intro is a great way to open up your essay. So for example answering the question above, ‘Across the novella, Dickens presents Scrooge’s fears in a number of ways, the range of events similarly acting as catalysts for the protagonist, emotionally exhausting him and thus leading to redemption.’ It doesn’t have to be anything long, just sets a tone.

Paragraph wise, the acronym PQE is very useful - Point, Quote, Explanation - it allows you to simply and easily form paragraphs that nicely work within a lit essay. I would usually use this for 2 of my paragraphs. Then I would use the acronym PETAL - Point, Evidence (so a quote), Technique, Analysis, Link to context, so I would have a few ‘higher level’ paragraphs. Now this acronym doesn’t automatically give you higher marks, its the components eg the context that would come within it that will give you higher marks.

It all comes down to your level of analysis also, when you make a point, making sure you use one or two quotes which support it - but also make sure the quotes you are using have language features etc you can read in to. Now here’s the slightly more complicated part. If you have a point, but if your quote doesn’t really techniques etc to back it up, use it anyway, making sure you explain in detail why but then add a sub paragraph where you can use a slightly less relevant quote for example but still somewhat backs up your point with techniques you can analysis.

Just complete lots of practise questions, vary your sentence starters and make sure you are answering each question with paragraphs that make a point, explain it and give evidence with a quote and then sometimes even, more so for lit, link to a context.

3A6CAE14-CDDF-48DE-B3A9-26EAD6409150.jpg.jpeg6A044ABE-632D-423E-B115-85156E1DB39E.jpg.jpegDAD69258-4B72-4B80-8725-6928AC9106D0.jpg.jpeg
Original post by Moonbow
I’m in year 11 so about to get my results, and my result are high in everything except English language, as my creative writing really isn’t great (apparently I tend to make scenes sound too static 😳). Please could you give any tips on how to write a descriptive that doesn’t sound too drawn out or so? :smile:

Of course, and firstly may I say good luck with your results - I’m sure you will have done fantastically :smile:

Okay so the key with descriptive writing is finding the balance between technique and the storyline. Once you become what you write and immerse yourself with the words you are choosing, your writing loses that static like nature.

You need to find how to play with words, that’s where I find a lot of people can go wrong, because they miss out the importance of looking at the words they are choosing. Every word you choose in a descriptive piece has a feeling or an effective connoted from it, or is part of a phrase that connotes a feeling.

Okay I think the best way to do this is through an example, picture yourself in the exam room. It’s kind of cold, the westernly breeze blowing in through a crack in that window no one ever closes, the room is just a freezing furnace. From below on your desk, the exam paper glares up at you, sharing the same hatred you feel towards it. You have no idea what to do now, you’ve smashed through the other reading questions of the exam, but now creative writing lies ahead. Like an endless maze, the lined pages pave a way through the mound of paper you have to fill with words. You, your eyes darting about nervously as panic runs like a river to fill your veins with that uncontrollable anxiety, glance down. A tree. You almost scream in despair as the photo of a tree lies on the paper, your exam question, your next hour of pain.

What I just wrote is an example of you sat in an exam room, but at the same time a description. It’s not a brilliant one, but the point I’m making is that you have to feel, just like the nerves you feel before you do the writing, the words you are going to write. All English is built on words, words can be powerful, inspiring, magical even, descriptive writing gives you that opportunity to create your own space of language. That example I gave, I first pictured myself, I knew I had to write a description about me in an exam room, so I imagined what it would feel like, applying this to a photo context, imagining what it would be like to be in the photo, what colours, what smells, what feels. Then, write some phrases down that are techniques, write a metaphor to describe, an oxymoron for what something feels like etc. Then you have covered the techniques part of writing. Now forming those sentences, choose words that take you to that place in your head, words that make you feel a certain emotion, draw out the life of an event. That’s the key, making what you are describing seem real and true, but if you don’t believe in your writing, your story behind the photo, how you have read in between the lines, then it won’t sound convincing. What I mean is to say that, when you are writing, to draw a reader in, to engage them, you must find a parallel between real life and the imaginary - holding the imagination in your head and almost living it through your writing.

Techniques can come through your words, by layering them, combining them together, changing their position in a sentence, varying your sentence starters most importantly, you combining said techniques with the imagination and passion behind your story, will loose all that static. It’s like when your watching a movie and you get lost in it and you lose track of time, that feeling of engagement can be built through your own writing. Your writing must come from you, you have to believe in what you are saying.

My main tip for creative writing would be planning. What I do, whenever a picture is presented to me, is plan my anaphora, choose themes, and then write some sentences packed full of techniques. To break this down, anaphora, when there is a theme throughout your writing for example a picture of the sea, my anaphora of war and me describing the sea as having battalions of waves, soldiers of rocks, etc, is a unique and higher mark level way of running a technique through your writing - it can also help give you some direction and focus. I often use time, and just subtle references that connote the idea of time and prescience within my pieces. Theme wise, this is a key point in a description, as it avoids having long drawn out paragraphs without direction. When you look at your images, pick sections you want to work on, zoom in and out. So for example, sky, sea, rock, seashell, back to sky. It doesn’t have to be cyclical but by choosing elements, writing a paragraph about them and then moving on, helps keep pace, interest and vary your writing. This combined with a running theme of anaphora - although that isn’t necessary of you don’t want to - can add to coherence. What I find, is you can analyse the parts of the photo much like that of a text and quotes, you can read into it and explain, except this time your explanation is a simile, a metaphor etc.

Key parts, having a plan, varying your sentence starters, finding a balance of techniques and story and engaging with what you are writing. Hope that helped and lmk if you want more tips or other questions etc. You got this. :smile:
hi
i don't need any help but just wanted to say thanks for creating this thread and helping others out:smile:

if i came across this last year i defo would've used it
Original post by vix.xvi
hi
i don't need any help but just wanted to say thanks for creating this thread and helping others out:smile:

if i came across this last year i defo would've used it

Awww thank you so much, that’s really encouraging. I just have such a huge passion for English and I love helping people and I just thought, why don’t I combine the two. Tysm. :smile:
Hi what are the best revision guides for english?
I'm studying:
Inspector calls
Macbeth
Love and Relationships anthology
Jane Eyre
Thanks! Also would you mind giving me feedback on work???
Original post by aaa24
Hi what are the best revision guides for english?
I'm studying:
Inspector calls
Macbeth
Love and Relationships anthology
Jane Eyre
Thanks! Also would you mind giving me feedback on work???

Hiya, okay so for English I recommend the CGP revision guides, they are full of useful info and are easy to carry about etc while still containing all the content you need and work with all exam boards. In the photos below, excluding the Love and Relationships workbook, I only have the text guides - these have all the content you need, but if you like the practise style and questions, then I would suggest getting the workbooks as well.

The websites:

- GetRevising.com (offers you the ability to see other peoples’s revision, find notes on certain topics, make your own etc)
- Seneca (questions and quick content - very useful as a revision tool)
- Quizlet (allows you to practise quotes and facts etc)

..are also very useful, especially for finding info and for revision

42D941FC-F352-4DD1-AE60-18D196182F33.jpg.jpeg

The Snap revision guide I have for Inspector Calls came with the play when I bought it and is also extremely useful, for quick revision etc. Also the AQA book in the photo, is just an anthology of the L&R poems. I know you also are doing Jane Eyre, I’m doing Christmas Carol so I have the CGP textbook for that which is why I didn’t include it but you can also get one online for Jane Eyre.

Below photos just give you an idea of what some of the pages are like. Hope that’s useful.

And also, of course I can give you some feedback on your work, just send it to me and I’m more than happy to read through etc.

887A9061-1BED-4651-8887-8FECAA8AFCE3.jpg.jpeg05D45B11-7E1A-4075-8ECA-51B7FD7CED08.jpg.jpeg92F4D4B7-53ED-4D2E-8E0D-05FF27C5DC6D.jpg.jpeg FA40AAC5-D4A6-41EB-BFBE-2D46635FD57C.jpg.jpeg
Reply 9

A little about me, I’m a Year 10 going into Year 11 GCSE student, predicted both 9s in Literature and Language, and just generally someone with a huge passion for English. It’s my dream to complete a degree in English Literature and spend the rest of my life dancing with words, because words can be powerful, magic and I want to use them to help people, raise awareness, inspire.

Do you have any analysis for “a taste of honey” quotes from a character called Helen:
“We’re all at the steering wheel of our own destiny”
“I don’t expect the monkey to answer”
“I’m a cruel, wicked woman”
“He spends his money like water. Oh I’m so excited”
“I should have got rid of you before you were born”
“Have I ever laid claim to being a proper mother?”
If you don’t mind, later I’ll add more quotations from other characters so you can help me with some!
Original post by jenniifer_
Do you have any analysis for “a taste of honey” quotes from a character called Helen:
“We’re all at the steering wheel of our own destiny”
“I don’t expect the monkey to answer”
“I’m a cruel, wicked woman”
“He spends his money like water. Oh I’m so excited”
“I should have got rid of you before you were born”
“Have I ever laid claim to being a proper mother?”
If you don’t mind, later I’ll add more quotations from other characters so you can help me with some!

Okay so, firstly I’ll link a few resources I found which offer some useful analysis and then I’ll run through each quote with my own analysis. And of course feel free to add more quotations or other questions etc, I’m more than happy to help :smile:

https://www.litcharts.com/lit/a-taste-of-honey/summary (exploring this website has some useful parts)

https://www.coursehero.com/lit/A-Taste-of-Honey/quotes/

‘We are all at the steering wheel of our own destiny’
There are two ways you could look at this, in the more motivational sense, or as something revealing a certain regret, wishing for change in regard to a past life. This quote is a metaphor, and a clever one. What is a steering wheel? Well it is something that gives direction, but also requires you to direct it, it’s almost like this quote is suggesting a paradox; we follow the direction of life, but in the same sense are led by the actions of other people, or the swaying of our own opinions or bias. This quote also builds on a certain sense of control, there is the control of the direction of the steering wheel, but sometimes, similarly to the unpredictability of a road, life can throw curveballs causing you, although you are in control, to need to change direction. So while we have control, it can be irregular. You could also infer this to hold the theme of responsibility, destiny is a big concept, almost an unimaginable one, yet there is a certain almost oxymoronic idea of control linking to how she says we are in control of our own incomprehensible and uncontrollable destiny - this could suggest this of holding a certain sense of a fable like moral, that are actions, good or bad, can control our future, or as something which connotes how the future is solely in our hands, we are in charge of what we do - it is our responsibility.

‘I don’t expect the monkey to answer’
Automatically the tone of this comes across negatively, ‘monkey’ is a animal usually referred to within language as something that causes mischief, doesn’t do what it is told. The link of the ‘don’t’ and ‘monkey’ hold a certain parallel of disregard, maybe for an opinion or idea; ‘don’t a verb automatically cutting of and shutting down the wish for a response, the following ‘monkey’ seeming to create further disregard. It almost also like she does not think the person of value enough to answer and have a voice, showing her automatic negative opinion and unwillingness to listen in this situation.

‘I’m a cruel, wicked woman’
The feelings between Jo and Helen in this exchange demonstrate this idea of ambivalence, Helen in particular holding contradictory feelings of an almost double sided nature. This quote automatically comes off as a certain snide remark, not meant with any emotional intent, the referral of a person to themselves as cruel and wicked, something unlikely and uncommon. That being said there is an idea of a certain hidden message, an ambiguity. ‘Cruel’ and ‘wicked’ are strong negative lexical choices which create an automatically negative impression, but also suggest this idea of a certain powerful evil, or horrible actions from the past. ‘Wicked’ in particular, connotes this idea of manipulative cruelty in turn relative to the snideness of the remark. Contextually also, ‘cruel’ and ‘wicked’ are not words traditionally associated with women or feminist behaviour - suggesting a colour of character unlike that of standard, or out of the ordinary.

‘He spends his money like water. Oh I’m so excited’
There are two parts to what you can infer from this quote so let’s break it down. The first part, ‘spends his money like water’ is firstly a simile and you could infer a suggestive and slight annoyance. Water itself, is a liquid, something you have very little control over, and this thus seems to be replicable of his foolish and sometimes irresponsible spending of money. Yet at the same time, this certain lack of control seems to excite her, it makes her feel young and happy to have this level of freedom; suggesting this has been something she hasn’t experienced for a long time. There is also this sense of short lived disapproval at his use of money, suggesting a mature sense of an older woman, yet at the same time she creates this paradox to an excitement from it, a joy only youth can bring, this experience helping bring back this feeling to her.
``
‘I should have got rid of you before you were born’
This completely opposes any sense of maternal care, holding this disregard for life, both before the birth, and now the horrible oppressive tone to the person whose life she is talking about. ‘Rid’ a strong verb holding negative connotations of the idea of removal and unwant again linking back to this idea of a lack of care for life and purpose.

‘How I ever laid claim to being a proper mother’
It suggests this idea of a mother not accepting her role, her responsibility in the growth of a life. It holds this idea of diversion to the place of family, the writer herself similarly holding idea of unconvention. This quote immediately seems to hold an idea of a ‘proper’ mother as opposed too what Helen believes she has been. It’s almost like the writer here is playing with stereotypes, and exposing a certain dysfunction that can occur in a unique family, yet at the same time, this quote holds a certain idea of regret, the tone suggesting Helen couldn’t say she has done all the right things for her child, certainly not being able to fit the category of a ‘proper’ mother. This ‘proper mother’ also creates a certain sense of ambiguity and open to interpretation in the regard of what one believes as proper. However the main flavour of this quote, lies in the route of how in the past, she seemed to hold his belief she had done right yet now things seem different, actions and events causing a change in opinion, a mould she can’t fill - could connote a certain length of regret or neglect to certain inferable extent.

Hope some of that was useful and I’m happy to discuss further and help with anything else :smile:
(edited 3 years ago)
Okay so, firstly I’ll link a few resources I found which offer some useful analysis and then I’ll run through each quote with my own analysis. And of course feel free to add more quotations or other questions etc, I’m more than happy to help :smile:

https://www.litcharts.com/lit/a-taste-of-honey/summary (exploring this website has some useful parts)

https://www.coursehero.com/lit/A-Taste-of-Honey/quotes/

‘We are all at the steering wheel of our own destiny’
There are two ways you could look at this, in the more motivational sense, or as something revealing a certain regret, wishing for change in regard to a past life. This quote is a metaphor, and a clever one. What is a steering wheel? Well it is something that gives direction, but also requires you to direct it, it’s almost like this quote is suggesting a paradox; we follow the direction of life, but in the same sense are led by the actions of other people, or the swaying of our own opinions or bias. This quote also builds on a certain sense of control, there is the control of the direction of the steering wheel, but sometimes, similarly to the unpredictability of a road, life can throw curveballs causing you, although you are in control, to need to change direction. So while we have control, it can be irregular. You could also infer this to hold the theme of responsibility, destiny is a big concept, almost an unimaginable one, yet there is a certain almost oxymoronic idea of control linking to how she says we are in control of our own incomprehensible and uncontrollable destiny - this could suggest this of holding a certain sense of a fable like moral, that are actions, good or bad, can control our future, or as something which connotes how the future is solely in our hands, we are in charge of what we do - it is our responsibility.

‘I don’t expect the monkey to answer’
Automatically the tone of this comes across negatively, ‘monkey’ is a animal usually referred to within language as something that causes mischief, doesn’t do what it is told. The link of the ‘don’t’ and ‘monkey’ hold a certain parallel of disregard, maybe for an opinion or idea; ‘don’t a verb automatically cutting of and shutting down the wish for a response, the following ‘monkey’ seeming to create further disregard. It almost also like she does not think the person of value enough to answer and have a voice, showing her automatic negative opinion and unwillingness to listen in this situation.

‘I’m a cruel, wicked woman’
The feelings between Jo and Helen in this exchange demonstrate this idea of ambivalence, Helen in particular holding contradictory feelings of an almost double sided nature. This quote automatically comes off as a certain snide remark, not meant with any emotional intent, the referral of a person to themselves as cruel and wicked, something unlikely and uncommon. That being said there is an idea of a certain hidden message, an ambiguity. ‘Cruel’ and ‘wicked’ are strong negative lexical choices which create an automatically negative impression, but also suggest this idea of a certain powerful evil, or horrible actions from the past. ‘Wicked’ in particular, connotes this idea of manipulative cruelty in turn relative to the snideness of the remark. Contextually also, ‘cruel’ and ‘wicked’ are not words traditionally associated with women or feminist behaviour - suggesting a colour of character unlike that of standard, or out of the ordinary.

‘He spends his money like water. Oh I’m so excited’
There are two parts to what you can infer from this quote so let’s break it down. The first part, ‘spends his money like water’ is firstly a simile and you could infer a suggestive and slight annoyance. Water itself, is a liquid, something you have very little control over, and this thus seems to be replicable of his foolish and sometimes irresponsible spending of money. Yet at the same time, this certain lack of control seems to excite her, it makes her feel young and happy to have this level of freedom; suggesting this has been something she hasn’t experienced for a long time. There is also this sense of short lived disapproval at his use of money, suggesting a mature sense of an older woman, yet at the same time she creates this paradox to an excitement from it, a joy only youth can bring, this experience helping bring back this feeling to her.
``
‘I should have got rid of you before you were born’
This completely opposes any sense of maternal care, holding this disregard for life, both before the birth, and now the horrible oppressive tone to the person whose life she is talking about. ‘Rid’ a strong verb holding negative connotations of the idea of removal and unwant again linking back to this idea of a lack of care for life and purpose.

‘How I ever laid claim to being a proper mother’
It suggests this idea of a mother not accepting her role, her responsibility in the growth of a life. It holds this idea of diversion to the place of family, the writer herself similarly holding idea of unconvention. This quote immediately seems to hold an idea of a ‘proper’ mother as opposed too what Helen believes she has been. It’s almost like the writer here is playing with stereotypes, and exposing a certain dysfunction that can occur in a unique family, yet at the same time, this quote holds a certain idea of regret, the tone suggesting Helen couldn’t say she has done all the right things for her child, certainly not being able to fit the category of a ‘proper’ mother. This ‘proper mother’ also creates a certain sense of ambiguity and open to interpretation in the regard of what one believes as proper. However the main flavour of this quote, lies in the route of how in the past, she seemed to hold his belief she had done right yet now things seem different, actions and events causing a change in opinion, a mould she can’t fill - could connote a certain length of regret or neglect to certain inferable extent.

Hope some of that was useful and I’m happy to discuss further and help with anything else :smile:

Thank you soo much!! For the quote “we are all at a steering wheel of our own destiny”, What might someone else think? like the contrast between people of today and what century this novel was written/published because I don’t know what else I should include but that people of the 20th century view Helen as irresponsible in regards to looking after her daughter
Original post by jenniifer_
Thank you soo much!! For the quote “we are all at a steering wheel of our own destiny”, What might someone else think? like the contrast between people of today and what century this novel was written/published because I don’t know what else I should include but that people of the 20th century view Helen as irresponsible in regards to looking after her daughter

The context of the play, is something where, mixed race relationships were of a kinda unspoken nature, and also homosexual relationships illegal. Yet this play as whole seems to unashamedly talk about these issues and present them in almost real life like situations. A modern audience then looking at the quote, where now our society has completely evolved from certain prejudices of the past etc, may see it a couple of different ways to be honest. You’re right, it could be with the view that Helen is irresponsible in regard to looking after he daughter, there is continual evidence throughout the text to suggest this. But some may also see it, looking now directly at the quote itself as a certain suggestion of a wish for social progression, like in the fact Helen has not led a ‘standard’ life for these times, her daughter following kinda suit, there is a certain irregularity connoted but at the same time, although their actions are not always morally right ie Helen’s neglect of Jo, to a certain extent, one could infer that, especially in relation the quote and its theme of self-responsibility, this idea of creating a certain progression, going beyond the rules of the time.

It does also clearly demonstrate how Helen is to a degree selfish, this idea of self-responsibility connoted through the quote holding a certain parallel to the irresponsibility of her looking after her child. Thus a person from the 20th century, may hold the view that the actions of Helen, although are morally wrong, and also socially wrong in terms of the play’s context, still demonstrate a mirror to situations that occur within the modern day; if that makes sense. The opinion of Helen’s actions from the laws and what is socially acceptable at the time, would be a negative one, yet both the attitude of Helen and the changes of laws etc may mean, that we as a modern audience would still not necessarily deem her actions as right, the view towards them, would be different as a society we hold this progressional idea of individual right; the quote itself directly supporting this ideal.

Hope that helped... lmk if you have any other questions etc :smile:
Hiya, okay so for English I recommend the CGP revision guides, they are full of useful info and are easy to carry about etc while still containing all the content you need and work with all exam boards. In the photos below, excluding the Love and Relationships workbook, I only have the text guides - these have all the content you need, but if you like the practise style and questions, then I would suggest getting the workbooks as well.

The websites:

- GetRevising.com (offers you the ability to see other peoples’s revision, find notes on certain topics, make your own etc)
- Seneca (questions and quick content - very useful as a revision tool)
- Quizlet (allows you to practise quotes and facts etc)

..are also very useful, especially for finding info and for revision

42D941FC-F352-4DD1-AE60-18D196182F33.jpg.jpeg

The Snap revision guide I have for Inspector Calls came with the play when I bought it and is also extremely useful, for quick revision etc. Also the AQA book in the photo, is just an anthology of the L&R poems. I know you also are doing Jane Eyre, I’m doing Christmas Carol so I have the CGP textbook for that which is why I didn’t include it but you can also get one online for Jane Eyre.

Below photos just give you an idea of what some of the pages are like. Hope that’s useful.

And also, of course I can give you some feedback on your work, just send it to me and I’m more than happy to read through etc.

887A9061-1BED-4651-8887-8FECAA8AFCE3.jpg.jpeg05D45B11-7E1A-4075-8ECA-51B7FD7CED08.jpg.jpeg92F4D4B7-53ED-4D2E-8E0D-05FF27C5DC6D.jpg.jpeg FA40AAC5-D4A6-41EB-BFBE-2D46635FD57C.jpg.jpeg

Thank you so much! I've heard that cgp guides aren't very useful as a lot of people say they aren't very detailed compared to other ones so i'm a bit confused now! Would you still say they have enough analysis or are they more of a brief guide? (would you recommend them compared to mr bruff for example??)
Original post by aaa24
Thank you so much! I've heard that cgp guides aren't very useful as a lot of people say they aren't very detailed compared to other ones so i'm a bit confused now! Would you still say they have enough analysis or are they more of a brief guide? (would you recommend them compared to mr bruff for example??)

Okay so, people have said this to me before, but all of my friends and teachers etc use and recommend these guides. The thing with revision and revision resources, is that it all depends on how you use them and this is key. I would never solely use one textbook as the basis of my revision, or gathering information; in the same way you would research for a project, I would research when I revise, because there is so many little extras and notes you can find online and different perspectives from different people on different websites. These textbooks provide and cover, for english, everything you need, yes it isn’t always into a huge level of depth, some sections are more of an overview, but in my opinion it provides what you need and is a stable source of revision, as in it gives you the knowledge you need, so I wouldn’t say they are a brief guide, more a stable solid guide.

Compared to Mr Bruff and that, I wouldn’t compare them, because I would use both Mr Bruff and the revision guide, because both have different points and similar points etc. If I’m not making sense, what I mean is that, those guides are ones loads of people use and recommend, including myself, but I would never just use them, I would always then watch a Mr Bruff, then do a Google search on that topic etc. Because there’s always little different points on random websites and that when you put it all together is a full revision,but the guides themselves provide a good strong basis for you to develop off. They have a good, solid level of analysis and you can come back to them for clear and concise revision, but also embellish them by using a combination of other revision resources.

Im really sorry if I confused you, I probably should have added in some of what I said above prior, so I apologise, I just personally find those guides really useful, solid, got the information I need, and then I can go beyond etc, if that makes sense. :smile:
(edited 3 years ago)
Okay so, people have said this to me before, but all of my friends and teachers etc use and recommend these guides. The thing with revision and revision resources, is that it all depends on how you use them and this is key. I would never solely use one textbook as the basis of my revision, or gathering information; in the same way you would research for a project, I would research when I revise, because there is so many little extras and notes you can find online and different perspectives from different people on different websites. These textbooks provide and cover, for english, everything you need, yes it isn’t always into a huge level of depth, some sections are more of an overview, but in my opinion it provides what you need and is a stable source of revision, as in it gives you the knowledge you need, so I wouldn’t say they are a brief guide, more a stable solid guide.

Compared to Mr Bruff and that, I wouldn’t compare them, because I would use both Mr Bruff and the revision guide, because both have different points and similar points etc. If I’m not making sense, what I mean is that, those guides are ones loads of people use and recommend, including myself, but I would never just use them, I would always then watch a Mr Bruff, then do a Google search on that topic etc. Because there’s always little different points on random websites and that when you put it all together is a full revision,but the guides themselves provide a good strong basis for you to develop off. They have a good, solid level of analysis and you can come back to them for clear and concise revision, but also embellish them by using a combination of other revision resources.

Im really sorry if I confused you, I probably should have added in some of what I said above prior, so I apologise, I just personally find those guides really useful, solid, got the information I need, and then I can go beyond etc, if that makes

Oh no it’s ok! Thanks so much :smile:
could you possible give me some feedback on work if that’s ok??
53D71FE8-0D53-4F6A-8133-605AB4482B7E.jpg.jpeg do you have any analysis for these quotes (the ones with black lines) (Jo says these quotations in the novel)
(edited 3 years ago)
BRO I NEED HELP WITH ENGLISH PLEASE!!!!!
I'm in year 9 - going to year 10.
my English is NOT good even though I'm in top set English, which I don't understand. please can you give me some advice?
i really want to up my game during lockdown so when I go back to school my teacher will be so shocked :smile:
I'm willing to do anything to make my English better so I can get 8s and 9s in English !!
thank you so much I officially love you lmao :smile::smile:
What should I write for ‘point’ for this quote:
“We are all at a steering wheel of our own destiny
Original post by aaa24
Oh no it’s ok! Thanks so much :smile:
could you possible give me some feedback on work if that’s ok??

Well you are very welcome, and of course, send me the work and I’ll happily give you some feedback :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending