The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by A Rolling Stone
it probably is. i've been arguing with literally hundreds of leftist half-wits at my uni who genuinely think all police officers are bad

Not every rat had the plague but enough did to kill half of Europe...
Youre using the word leftist in a bad way, so yes
Original post by epicnm
Yes that is very true! I think the police in the UK (albeit better than the US) are still institutionally racist. It’s only today the BBC reported ethnic minorities were more likely to get COVID fines. To be honest, I think the UK police is beyond the point where individuals working in the force would be able to make effective change to prevent systematic racism apart from through education of new police officers, hence my initial suggestion.

To be fair, I also want to join the fire brigade,which can also be quite a racist institution, especilally my local service which is one of the whitest fire brigades int he country with like 99% white and has a serious, long problem with racism towards black and other recruits. that said thje police can enforce a law whereas firefighters cannot. I feel like my parents would moer approve of me being in the police than the fire brigade because they look down on it. Because we know a few firefgighters they just cite examples about them having to work two jobs etc, but when I've looked at firefighters salaries, at least in london, they aren't much short of a policeman's, especially in essex where they pay the cops peanuts. I'm just not sure what I want to do tbh. I'm very political but I feel like university would be a waste of time and money when all it will really give me is a few ticks on a bit of paper to get me into a job.
Yes.
No
Look at the official data for unarmed killings by police per race and scale by the police interactions using a measure such as amount of crime each race commits to see if it's really as bad as some people make it out to be.
Also you probably watch too much left-wing media so you probs diversify the media you consume.
But based on your they way you write you would probably let people trample over you so maybe don't join them.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 25
Original post by london_roads
To be fair, I also want to join the fire brigade,which can also be quite a racist institution, especilally my local service which is one of the whitest fire brigades int he country with like 99% white and has a serious, long problem with racism towards black and other recruits. that said thje police can enforce a law whereas firefighters cannot. I feel like my parents would moer approve of me being in the police than the fire brigade because they look down on it. Because we know a few firefgighters they just cite examples about them having to work two jobs etc, but when I've looked at firefighters salaries, at least in london, they aren't much short of a policeman's, especially in essex where they pay the cops peanuts. I'm just not sure what I want to do tbh. I'm very political but I feel like university would be a waste of time and money when all it will really give me is a few ticks on a bit of paper to get me into a job.

I think firefighters are a very respected profession and as you mentioned, aren’t directly involved in enforcing laws so racism faced would be generally in the ‘workplace’ rather than directed towards members of the public. I also believe the ‘average’ firefighter is paid more than the ‘average’ police constable according to Prospects.ac.uk
Original post by epicnm
I think firefighters are a very respected profession and as you mentioned, aren’t directly involved in enforcing laws so racism faced would be generally in the ‘workplace’ rather than directed towards members of the public. I also believe the ‘average’ firefighter is paid more than the ‘average’ police constable according to Prospects.ac.uk

It is, and its a profession where I can become unionised and as a general leftist that'd be nice. But as I said I feel like my parnets would largely dissaprove. They see me as some kind of intellectual, and whilst I have that ability, I don't want to be stuck behind a desk all day. I've thought about going into politics but I don't think i can go in as an mp straight from 18. considering running as councillor but again parents just want me to go to uni really
Reply 27
Join and be the change you want to see. It’s a tough job, mind
Reply 28
It is, and its a profession where I can become unionised and as a general leftist that'd be nice. But as I said I feel like my parnets would largely dissaprove. They see me as some kind of intellectual, and whilst I have that ability, I don't want to be stuck behind a desk all day. I've thought about going into politics but I don't think i can go in as an mp straight from 18. considering running as councillor but again parents just want me to go to uni really

Is there any reason you wouldn’t want to go to university? To study politics or something similar?
I understand the graduate only thing has been dropped, at least in London, because no one was joining. It was stupid to incldue that.
As for morally questionable - its not the law that';s the problem. It's the way I've seen ti applied. I just feel like I'd be letting a lot of people down if I did it. I think I am good at helping people and I have a lot of experience helping people with mental health and other problems and I've actually uncovered a lot of crimes myself, but its just stop and search for instance. If i was a poliec officer, I would personally be searching white kids because I know form my own experience in my area anyway, its white kids committing crime, not black ones.

You would solve the issue of racism by specifically targeting white people? 😐
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by epicnm
Is there any reason you wouldn’t want to go to university? To study politics or something similar?

It seems ridiculously expensive. I'm not sure about how my A levels are going to go especilaly after covid and the massive loss of learning. I'm looking so far at studyign politics and international relations. I'm just not sure about the whole "uni" experience. The only thing i'd go for is social life, and Ik its a bit premature but I've just started quite a serious relationship and I feel like going ot university would mean abandoning it (i know uni is still a year away but im not sure). As said I'd like to have the opportunnity to study abroad but I don't know what I'd actually do with those qualifications.
Original post by 999tigger
Luckily for everyone you wont be accepted at the moment and need to figure out life a bit more especially the police.
My understanding is its a graduate only profession now, so going to uni might do you some good.

There are some serving police officers on TSR.
If you thinbk upholding the law is morally questionable and not something you would feel confident in doing then you should consider another profession.
Maybe get some work experience as well?

You've hit the nail on the head.

Along with cuts over the years, this is probably why the Met is so shite right now. Bunch of Uni grads, with no on the field experience, dropped into high-level jobs within the policing sector, with theoretical knowledge of how to deal with crime.
Original post by YaliaV
You would solve the issue of racism by specifically targeting white people? 😐

Yes. I'm a white person so that's not racist. In my area, middle class white kids are committing crime. That's why I'd like to join the police. To prove a point in a way. Try and touch the untouchable. I'd be interested in white collra crime as well, and as I said, tackling racism. I've also considered serving in the "civil service" (let's juts call it that) but my political views would probably be an issue and you need to go to uni i think to join the SS. plus its unlikely i'd even get in
Yes. I'm a white person so that's not racist. In my area, middle class white kids are committing crime. That's why I'd like to join the police. To prove a point in a way. Try and touch the untouchable. I'd be interested in white collra crime as well, and as I said, tackling racism. I've also considered serving in the "civil service" (let's juts call it that) but my political views would probably be an issue and you need to go to uni i think to join the SS. plus its unlikely i'd even get in

The ****?
Original post by Occitanie
You've hit the nail on the head.

Along with cuts over the years, this is probably why the Met is so shite right now. Bunch of Uni grads, with no on the field experience, dropped into high-level jobs within the policing sector, with theoretical knowledge of how to deal with crime.

Yes idk why they want uni candidates. Probably because they think they will be more intelligent and less racist. Unfortunately having a BA in gender studies doesn't mean you've got common sense

The mind boggles.
Reply 36
It seems ridiculously expensive. I'm not sure about how my A levels are going to go especilaly after covid and the massive loss of learning. I'm looking so far at studyign politics and international relations. I'm just not sure about the whole "uni" experience. The only thing i'd go for is social life, and Ik its a bit premature but I've just started quite a serious relationship and I feel like going ot university would mean abandoning it (i know uni is still a year away but im not sure). As said I'd like to have the opportunnity to study abroad but I don't know what I'd actually do with those qualifications.

Ah yes. Only you know if it would be good for you to go to University, so do what you want to do at the end of the day as it will be you living your life, not your parents. If you want to join the fire service, do so ,as it would be you having to pay off £27,000+ student debt had you wanted to go to university. If you did get a politics degree, you have a broad range of careers from law, politics, research,journalism, civil servant, PR/HR.
Yes idk why they want uni candidates. Probably because they think they will be more intelligent and less racist. Unfortunately having a BA in gender studies doesn't mean you've got common sense

I don't think the police are interested in BA gender studies...
Original post by epicnm
Ah yes. Only you know if it would be good for you to go to University, so do what you want to do at the end of the day as it will be you living your life, not your parents. If you want to join the fire service, do so ,as it would be you having to pay off £27,000+ student debt had you wanted to go to university. If you did get a politics degree, you have a broad range of careers from law, politics, research,journalism, civil servant, PR/HR.

That is true. Main problem for me is I don't really know what I want to do so I feel like going ot university would just be a delaying tactic to try and give me time to think of a career path.
Original post by Occitanie
I don't think the police are interested in BA gender studies...

No, but the graduate programme means you can join the police with any degree I believe.

Latest

Trending

Trending