The Student Room Group

Absolutely Screwed

As many of you know exams have been cancelled this year so teachers and computers are determining our grades, however recently it's been said that teacher submitted grades wont be used unless it's a new or small cohort for a school. I go to a school called City and Islington which is pretty average, however it is a part of a group with other schools called "Capital City College Group" and after comparing the data with schools in England I have found out that this group is absolutely awful in terms of grades with only 2.3% getting AAB or higher. My worry is that when using a computer to determine grades my college will be lumped as Capital City College group and therefore student grades will be lowered to tailor it to this group, dragging down the best of a bad bunch. My predicted is A*A*AA and despite knowing I could get it if exams continued, I have already accepted that I have no chance of getting this but to now discover that it's a high chance that I'll get below AAB because of a stupid group my college is in is devastating. My entry requirements for my firm are A*A*A and my insurance A*AA, that's how sure I was that I'd make those grades but now I'm royally screwed. I don't know what to do.

Edit: I came off as a bit snobbish in my post and I know AAB would be a good grade but for my subject I wouldn't be able to get into any of the unis I like with those grades. I genuinely wouldn't care about my grades as long as I got into warwick, also due to my course a gap year is out of the question and I can't find any foundation years for unis I like. That and my family has super high expectations so I'm under a ton of pressure not to screw up even though it's out of my control but it would still be a massive let down since I sacrificed going to a grammar school to go to a school I'd actually enjoy and now I'm worse off than someone who put the same amount of work in but goes to a grammar school.
(edited 3 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Hisksjd
As many of you know exams have been cancelled this year so teachers and computers are determining our grades, however recently it's been said that teacher submitted grades wont be used unless it's a new or small cohort for a school. I go to a school called City and Islington which is pretty average, however it is a part of a group with other schools called "Capital City College Group" and after comparing the data with schools in England I have found out that this group is absolutely awful in terms of grades with only 2.3% getting AAB or higher. My worry is that when using a computer to determine grades my college will be lumped as Capital City College group and therefore student grades will be lowered to tailor it to this group, dragging down the best of a bad bunch. My predicted is A*A*AA and despite knowing I could get it if exams continued, I have already accepted that I have no chance of getting this but to now discover that it's a high chance that I'll get below AAB because of a stupid group my college is in is devastating. My entry requirements for my firm are A*A*A and my insurance A*AA, that's how sure I was that I'd make those grades but now I'm royally screwed. I don't know what to do.

I think the best thing you can do right now is wait. I do not believe teacher predictions will not play a large part in the decision and if worst comes to worst you can appeal and if necessary sit the exams in the Autumn.
Original post by Hisksjd

Take the autumn exams like loads of other people.
Its a bit late to be discovering how the calculated grade progress works?
Reply 3
Original post by 999tigger
Take the autumn exams like loads of other people.
Its a bit late to be discovering how the calculated grade progress works?

I know how it works but I'm unsure if my college will be calculated independently or if it will be calculated under the college group
Reply 4
Original post by Scotney
I think the best thing you can do right now is wait. I do not believe teacher predictions will not play a large part in the decision and if worst comes to worst you can appeal and if necessary sit the exams in the Autumn.

If I sat exams in autumn I doubt I'd be able to continue uni for the year 2020 since term already starts when the exams begin. Also I'm hoping to study Maths & Physics so gap years tend to be looked down upon unless they were subject based and productive
Reply 5
Original post by Hisksjd

Use the appeal system if your results are not good.
Reply 6
Original post by mgi
Use the appeal system if your results are not good.

Only teachers can appeal your grades from what I've heard and mine are very laid back and lazy so I'm scared they wouldn't bother doing an appeal
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by Hisksjd
I know how it works but I'm unsure if my college will be calculated independently or if it will be calculated under the college group

I thought the point of your thread is you were saying it was calculated group wide?
If you dont even know what you are complaining about is going to happen, then arent you being premature and wouldnt it be wise to ask the college?
Reply 8
Original post by 999tigger
I thought the point of your thread is you were saying it was calculated group wide?
If you dont even know what you are complaining about is going to happen, then arent you being premature and wouldnt it be wise to ask the college?

My thread is a vent/ asking if Colleges in College groups would have grades calculated independently. My college is very slow when replying to emails so I probably won't get a response until results day and I had already emailed Ofqual asking the same question but still no response, I was hoping someone on TSR may have an idea and I also just wanted to get stuff off my chest
Well my teachers told me that teachers have been marking the students too highly which are unrealistic of their realistic grades. That’s why it’s being taken out of their hands and they’re looking at previous work. It’s completely unfair for it to be classist and based it off the school’s reputation I know, the only thing is that u could appeal against your grades, get them remarked, I am not sure if there are petitions.
Original post by Hisksjd
If I sat exams in autumn I doubt I'd be able to continue uni for the year 2020 since term already starts when the exams begin. Also I'm hoping to study Maths & Physics so gap years tend to be looked down upon unless they were subject based and productive

This would not be a gap year though as it is certainly exceptional citumstances. Even Cambridge are going to honour places the following year if students are resitting. However you are clearly stressed but you are better off distracting yourself between now and next week as there is nothing to be gained by running over and over the worse case scenario. What were your gcse grades like? Unis may decide to take you anyway if you have a good academic record.
Reply 11
Original post by Scotney
This would not be a gap year though as it is certainly exceptional citumstances. Even Cambridge are going to honour places the following year if students are resitting. However you are clearly stressed but you are better off distracting yourself between now and next week as there is nothing to be gained by running over and over the worse case scenario. What were your gcse grades like? Unis may decide to take you anyway if you have a good academic record.

GCSEs were 999997776 and your right, I'd just feel awful if I opened UCAS and the first I see is that I've gone into clearing
I think we should all wait as I have seen on the news
Reply 13
Original post by Hisksjd

Edit: I came off as a bit snobbish in my post and I know AAB would be a good grade but for my subject I wouldn't be able to get into any of the unis I like with those grades. I genuinely wouldn't care about my grades as long as I got into warwick, also due to my course a gap year is out of the question and I can't find any foundation years for unis I like. That and my family has super high expectations so I'm under a ton of pressure not to screw up even though it's out of my control but it would still be a massive let down since I sacrificed going to a grammar school to go to a school I'd actually enjoy and now I'm worse off than someone who put the same amount of work in but goes to a grammar school.

But what exactly is the real issue here? who saw Corona coming? no one. Why don't you just wait until you get your results and also hear from Warwick? And if the Scottish exam results are anything to go by then you have nothing to worry about! Teacher assessments only have led to inflated better results for a lot of students except for poorer students who had a 15% downgrading overall.
Original post by mgi
Teacher assessments only have led to inflated better results for a lot of students except for poorer students who had a 15% downgrading overall.

To make this statistic clearer, 7% of the least deprived students had their results downgraded too. We could thus assume the median 'downgrading' of the entire cohort, based solely on this metric, was 11% which rather contextualises your information.
Original post by Hisksjd

You should be fine if you were predicted them grades and your school averages to get poor grades. Then you should also easily be on top of the rankings. Meaning it will be unlikely for you to be downgraded.
Reply 16
Original post by Reality Check
To make this statistic clearer, 7% of the least deprived students had their results downgraded too. We could thus assume the median 'downgrading' of the entire cohort, based solely on this metric, was 11% which rather contextualises your information.

Yes, thanks!
Original post by mgi
Yes, thanks!

No problem - you make a good point :smile:
Reply 18
Original post by mgi
But what exactly is the real issue here? who saw Corona coming? no one. Why don't you just wait until you get your results and also hear from Warwick? And if the Scottish exam results are anything to go by then you have nothing to worry about! Teacher assessments only have led to inflated better results for a lot of students except for poorer students who had a 15% downgrading overall.

I'm hearing everywhere about how 93% of students grades were bought down. SQA results is the cause of my paranoia about grade right now but I really hope you're right 😭😭
Reply 19
Original post by Albdaeni
You should be fine if you were predicted them grades and your school averages to get poor grades. Then you should also easily be on top of the rankings. Meaning it will be unlikely for you to be downgraded.

True but my college is part of a college group so they lump results together but out of the college group only 2.3% got higher than AAB so if they use the performance of my college group rather than individual college to determine my grades then it would be almost impossible for me to get my predicted grades. But I get what you mean and I'm definitely overthinking but it's also a very really possibility since Colleges in college groups' performance is lumped together when used to compare results with the country

Quick Reply

Latest