The Student Room Group
Freshers Week, University of Bath
University of Bath
Bath

Bath University Clearing and Adjustment thread 2020

For 2020 entry, has anyone got into University of Bath via Clearing? Do you need to liaise with Bath and confirm they will offer you a place first before you add them into Clearing? Thanks,
Original post by Anonymous
For 2020 entry, has anyone got into University of Bath via Clearing? Do you need to liaise with Bath and confirm they will offer you a place first before you add them into Clearing? Thanks,

Hi there,

I worked on the Uni of Bath clearing calls last year, so hopefully I can help :smile: How it works is:

You receive your results and know whether you got into your firm and insurance choice universities. This is when clearing vacancies are advertised, as the university will only know if there are places available via clearing once offers are confirmed based on the results.

You can then contact the university in question to see if they have any clearing places. They'll typically ask you a number of questions, i.e. what A-Levels/qualifications you did, what grades you got etc so they can fill out a form and see what you are eligible for. They will then tell you if there are clearing vacancies for the course you are enquiring about (and if there are any other courses with vacancies).

If you meet the clearing grade requirements, then they may offer you a place via clearing and you can then choose if you accept that place.

I hope this has clarified things, but basically clearing only opens on results day and you will have to contact the university to see if there are vacancies and if you are eligible. They won't just contact students to offer them places, as far as I know.

I hope this has helped,
Jessica, a final year NatSci student
Freshers Week, University of Bath
University of Bath
Bath
Original post by University of Bath
Hi there,

I worked on the Uni of Bath clearing calls last year, so hopefully I can help :smile: How it works is:

You receive your results and know whether you got into your firm and insurance choice universities. This is when clearing vacancies are advertised, as the university will only know if there are places available via clearing once offers are confirmed based on the results.

You can then contact the university in question to see if they have any clearing places. They'll typically ask you a number of questions, i.e. what A-Levels/qualifications you did, what grades you got etc so they can fill out a form and see what you are eligible for. They will then tell you if there are clearing vacancies for the course you are enquiring about (and if there are any other courses with vacancies).

If you meet the clearing grade requirements, then they may offer you a place via clearing and you can then choose if you accept that place.

I hope this has clarified things, but basically clearing only opens on results day and you will have to contact the university to see if there are vacancies and if you are eligible. They won't just contact students to offer them places, as far as I know.

I hope this has helped,

I just have a question I have one conditional offer from Surrey (that I firmed) and one unconditional (my insurance). But I really want to go to bath, if I get into Surrey can I still apply to bath through clearing? Because I’m ready to withdraw from Surrey but only if Bath is ready to take me.
I just have a question I have one conditional offer from Surrey (that I firmed) and one unconditional (my insurance). But I really want to go to bath, if I get into Surrey can I still apply to bath through clearing? Because I’m ready to withdraw from Surrey but only if Bath is ready to take me.

@PQ can probably answer this best.

Is Bath your insurance?
Original post by PQ
Is Bath your insurance?

Nope it’s a different uni
Hi there,

I hope this has helped,

Hi do you know if Bath participate in adjustment?
Original post by indecisiveel2
Hi do you know if Bath participate in adjustment?

Hi there,

Bath do indeed participate in adjustment, and the vacancies are open/advertised at the same time as clearing. Based on my experience working in the clearing/adjustment call centre at Uni of Bath, it works the same way as clearing (i.e. you contact the university). As with clearing, not all courses will have vacancies available for adjustment as it depends on the intake that year, so you do just have to contact the university and ask :smile:

I hope this has helped,

Hi there,

You may find this webpage on the UCAS website helpful. Basically, I believe you can do this but you have to contact your firm choice university and ask them to officially release you, and then apply through clearing. It would definitely be best to check that Bath has a place for you in clearing, and that you are eligible with your grades, as you don't want to get your firm choice to release you if you can't get into Bath via clearing. Definitely do not get Surrey to release you yet, as Bath may not even have vacancies for your course, or they may have vacancies but you may not meet the grade requirements.

I hope this has helped,
Hi there,

Bath do indeed participate in adjustment, and the vacancies are open/advertised at the same time as clearing. Based on my experience working in the clearing/adjustment call centre at Uni of Bath, it works the same way as clearing (i.e. you contact the university). As with clearing, not all courses will have vacancies available for adjustment as it depends on the intake that year, so you do just have to contact the university and ask :smile:

I hope this has helped,

Okay thanks :smile:. Do you know if anyone has ever adjusted into the NatSci course? (Bit of a messy situation- had an offer originally but didn’t end up firming it and I kind of regret it now)
(edited 3 years ago)
Okay thanks :smile:. Do you know if anyone has ever adjusted into the NatSci course? (Bit of a messy situation- had an offer originally but didn’t end up firming it and I kind of regret it now)

Hi there,

No problem! I'm not 100% sure but I'm assuming there may have been places via adjustment or clearing in some years for NatSci.

I would say that it is, unfortunately, less likely than with other courses because NatSci is a fairly new course so not many good unis offer it - mainly just Cambridge, Durham, UCL, Bath and Exeter. This means that the courses are fairly small cohorts of students and the courses are usually oversubscribed, especially for a good university like Bath. Basically, it's rarer for vacancies to come up for clearing/adjustment for NatSci than a more general course like Biology or Chemistry, as NatSci courses are so oversubscribed. However, this doesn't mean that there are never vacancies as it varies by year, so some years there's no vacancies but other years there may be.

I hope this has helped,
Hi there,

No problem! I'm not 100% sure but I'm assuming there may have been places via adjustment or clearing in some years for NatSci.

I would say that it is, unfortunately, less likely than with other courses because NatSci is a fairly new course so not many good unis offer it - mainly just Cambridge, Durham, UCL, Bath and Exeter. This means that the courses are fairly small cohorts of students and the courses are usually oversubscribed, especially for a good university like Bath. Basically, it's rarer for vacancies to come up for clearing/adjustment for NatSci than a more general course like Biology or Chemistry, as NatSci courses are so oversubscribed. However, this doesn't mean that there are never vacancies as it varies by year, so some years there's no vacancies but other years there may be.

I hope this has helped,

Ah yes I kind of expected it to be less likely to be in adjustment/ clearing, I’m not very hopeful but I’ll give it a go anyway haha. Although I did also find out that I probably wouldn’t be able to get student accommodation in uni halls if I did switch to Bath (Well it would be quite unlikely) so that would be a bit problematic :/ anyways thanks for your replies!
Ah yes I kind of expected it to be less likely to be in adjustment/ clearing, I’m not very hopeful but I’ll give it a go anyway haha. Although I did also find out that I probably wouldn’t be able to get student accommodation in uni halls if I did switch to Bath (Well it would be quite unlikely) so that would be a bit problematic :/ anyways thanks for your replies!

Hi there,

It's definitely worth at least giving it a shot, as you never know! Due to all the circumstances caused by COVID-19, universities are planning on being more flexible with grade boundaries etc so it's worth a shot :smile:

You are correct that it's usually unlikely that clearing/adjustment students can get uni accommodation, but it will probably be more likely that you can this year as there's potentially going to be a lower intake of students (i.e. far fewer international students). There are also several other options to consider:

Privately run student accommodation such as Student Roost and Hello Student. These are usually ensuite or studio rooms, and are usually a fair bit more expensive than university-run accommodation, but it's a good back-up option.

Privately rent a flat or house with other students from a landlord/agency. This is what you have to do in 2nd year onwards, so it's not that unusual. There's tonnes of Facebook groups for house/flat shares or finding flatmates in Bath for students, and there's also websites like SpareRoom for the same thing. You can post saying you're looking for a room, or look at other peoples posts advertising that they need another housemate/flatmate. Students often drop out or move into a different house, so there's bound to be spare bedrooms (especially with more students staying at home due to COVID-19).

Essentially, it may be less likely that you can get university accommodation, but there are other options for you if NatSci at Bath is your goal! Even then, you can always contact the uni accommodation team and ask about the chances of getting uni accommodation if you go through clearing/adjustment.

I hope this has helped,
Hi there,

It's definitely worth at least giving it a shot, as you never know! Due to all the circumstances caused by COVID-19, universities are planning on being more flexible with grade boundaries etc so it's worth a shot :smile:

You are correct that it's usually unlikely that clearing/adjustment students can get uni accommodation, but it will probably be more likely that you can this year as there's potentially going to be a lower intake of students (i.e. far fewer international students). There are also several other options to consider:

Privately run student accommodation such as Student Roost and Hello Student. These are usually ensuite or studio rooms, and are usually a fair bit more expensive than university-run accommodation, but it's a good back-up option.

Privately rent a flat or house with other students from a landlord/agency. This is what you have to do in 2nd year onwards, so it's not that unusual. There's tonnes of Facebook groups for house/flat shares or finding flatmates in Bath for students, and there's also websites like SpareRoom for the same thing. You can post saying you're looking for a room, or look at other peoples posts advertising that they need another housemate/flatmate. Students often drop out or move into a different house, so there's bound to be spare bedrooms (especially with more students staying at home due to COVID-19).

Essentially, it may be less likely that you can get university accommodation, but there are other options for you if NatSci at Bath is your goal! Even then, you can always contact the uni accommodation team and ask about the chances of getting uni accommodation if you go through clearing/adjustment.

I hope this has helped,

Just read their website they’re not doing adjustment :frown: I got the grades aswell but I don’t want to reapply for next year :frown:
Just read their website they’re not doing adjustment :frown: I got the grades aswell but I don’t want to reapply for next year :frown:

Hi there,

I'm really sorry that it's not gone to plan! Bath does usually do adjustment, so I am assuming this is not the case now due to COVID-19. You could take a gap year (i.e. travel, work) and reapply next year, or you can go to whatever uni you have chosen for a year. You may very well like it more there, in which case you can continue on there. Or, you can reapply to Bath and go there after a year (i.e. do one year at another uni, then reapply and start over at Bath). This means you spend the year studying, and if you like the uni you go to then it's even better, and if not you can still reapply to Bath. That downside is the financial considerations.

I would say that if you decide to not try for Bath, and go to whatever uni you've gotten into, please don't worry! You may very well enjoy the uni and course you've chosen more than you would have enjoyed Bath!

I hope this has helped,

Quick Reply

Latest