The Student Room Group

N/A

….
(edited 8 months ago)
Original post by bamsa
Would it be too risky to use all 5 applications on competitive unis? When I say competitive, I mean in terms of the volume of applicants and demand for the course/acceptance rates, as i’m looking at psychology which is a very competitive course regardless.
The Unis which appeal to me the most are:

Cambridge
UCL
Kings
LSE
Bath

All of these have similar/same grade requirements, but I am fairly secure in my grades and have achieved A*A*A* for predicted (end of year 12 exams). I am also eligible for contextual offers, so if I were to apply for UCL the offer would drop to BBB (as opposed to A*AA). So my question is, would it be sensible to apply to these Unis, as most have a low acceptance rate due to the number of applicants.? Or should I swap one out for a ‘safer’ option just incase? Any advice would be appreciated :smile:

A safer option is always advisable. Even if your grades are secure, you could still be rejected from most of the universities because the course is competitive and the rest of your application might not be as strong as other candidates’.
Original post by bamsa
Would it be too risky to use all 5 applications on competitive unis? When I say competitive, I mean in terms of the volume of applicants and demand for the course/acceptance rates, as i’m looking at psychology which is a very competitive course regardless.

Cambridge
UCL
Kings
LSE
Bath

All of these have similar/same grade requirements, but I am fairly secure in my grades and have achieved A*A*A* for predicted (end of year 12 exams). I am also eligible for contextual offers, so if I were to apply for UCL the offer would drop to BBB (as opposed to A*AA). So my question is, would it be sensible to apply to these Unis, as most have a low acceptance rate due to the number of applicants.? Or should I swap one out for a ‘safer’ option just incase? Any advice would be appreciated :smile:

I think the problem with competitive unis is that so many other people with the same/similar grades will also be applying. So whilst you're applying with strong grades, this ends up not being one of the main factors. I've heard a lot of unis simply just check you've your grades fit the entry criteria then move on to other factors such as personal statements, references, admissions exams etc.

All in all, I'd say it's very hard to predict the strength of your application compared to others in your cohort as this will end up being the determining factor. You could be very confident in your application as a whole but still not get an offer due to other freaks of nature that just simply did even better somehow. I've seen many similar stories like that on this site of people flexing how strong their applications were and trying to get reasons from strangers nowhere near the admissions departments about how its possible they didn't get an offer.

To conclude all that waffle, I can only echo the very popular time old saying "its better to be safe than sorry".
Original post by bamsa

Cambridge
UCL
Kings
LSE
Bath

I suggest you read How to avoid getting five university rejections. Note that you'll only receive a contextual offer if they decide to make you an offer, it doesn't actually make an offer more likely. If you apply to five university which are heavily over-subscribed, you run the real risk of getting five rejections.
At that level, competition is so stiff that you could end up with five rejections even with top grades. This is generally because others are also applying to that course with top grades, so admissions places more emphasis on your PS and reference and marks them very subjectively. I applied to UCL and KCL for biomed, which is pretty competitive too, this year with top grades and ended up getting accepted to KCL and rejected from UCL, so there's really no way of knowing. We advise 'safe' choices not solely on the basis of grade requirements but because they might receive less applications per cycle and so you'd be more likely to get an offer :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by bamsa

Cambridge
UCL
Kings
LSE
Bath

All of these have similar/same grade requirements, but I am fairly secure in my grades and have achieved A*A*A* for predicted (end of year 12 exams). I am also eligible for contextual offers, so if I were to apply for UCL the offer would drop to BBB (as opposed to A*AA). For clarification, I only mention grades as they will not be a limiting factor- So my question is, would it be sensible to apply to these Unis, as most have a low acceptance rate due to the number of applicants (which the majority will probably have the grades anyways)? Or should I swap one out for a ‘safer’ option just incase? Any advice would be appreciated :smile:

It all depends on what your attitude is to taking a gap year if you don’t get an offer and how psychologically strong you are in the face of rejection. The “safer” choice but good unis will not normally go through clearing or be available for extra so five highly competitive unis is an all or nothing gamble.
Original post by bamsa
Ah I see! How would you suggest choosing a ‘safe’ option? As so many people will be applying to the course across all Unis so im just not sure how to find out which ones I would more likely get an offer with. Congrats on your offer from KCL though!!

Generally, London unis and Oxbridge tend to be oversubscribed to high hell, so look for a course that's a grade or two below your requirements, and isn't a part of the above set of unis. That's just a general rule of thumb though, do your own research before committing!
(edited 11 months ago)
Original post by bamsa

Cambridge
UCL
Kings
LSE
Bath

All of these have similar/same grade requirements, but I am fairly secure in my grades and have achieved A*A*A* for predicted (end of year 12 exams). I am also eligible for contextual offers, so if I were to apply for UCL the offer would drop to BBB (as opposed to A*AA). For clarification, I only mention grades as they will not be a limiting factor- So my question is, would it be sensible to apply to these Unis, as most have a low acceptance rate due to the number of applicants (which the majority will probably have the grades anyways)? Or should I swap one out for a ‘safer’ option just incase? Any advice would be appreciated :smile:

My suggestion is not to apply to all 5 at once. Apply to Cambridge and a max of 3 others initially and see what response you get, particularity from those that would give you a contextual offer. Then add your remaining choice/s once you know whether you need a "safe" choice or not.
Reply 8
Original post by ageshallnot
My suggestion is not to apply to all 5 at once. Apply to Cambridge and a max of 3 others initially and see what response you get, particularity from those that would give you a contextual offer. Then add your remaining choice/s once you know whether you need a "safe" choice or not.

Only those unis are notoriously late in giving replies and OP might risk missing the equal consideration deadline if they did that.
Reply 9
There are some really good courses out there with lower grade requirements that would make admirable back ups. Sheffield, off the top of my head, is AAB. An RG Uni (if important) in the top 20.

I would check out some of these options, look at the modules they offer and put together a mixed list of 5 Unis you would genuinely be happy to go to, in the event the competitives don't offer.
(edited 11 months ago)
Original post by Euapp
Only those unis are notoriously late in giving replies and OP might risk missing the equal consideration deadline if they did that.

Saving a choice or 2 for January wouldn’t mean missing the deadline. Even with no decisions from early choices applicants might change their minds about universities in those 3ish months. Taking part in interviews and being a bit further along in studies and having more time to research might adjust their attitude to risk or mean they find a course/university that hadn’t been in their shortlist before.

anyone applying by the early deadline would be best saving at least one choice for their future self to add in January (before the deadline).
Original post by bamsa
Ah I see! How would you suggest choosing a ‘safe’ option? As so many people will be applying to the course across all Unis so im just not sure how to find out which ones I would more likely get an offer with. Congrats on your offer from KCL though!!

I think you need to think through some scenarios.

If you got 5 rejections what would you do?
If you got 4 rejections and an offer from your “safe” choice and got the grades you’re expecting would you take up that offer?

There’s zero value in a safe choice that you have no intention of taking up. Especially if it’s a choice that’s usually available in extra/clearing.

Have you had a look at which universities are available for applications for 2023 entry now (ie universities in extra for your course)? Likewise keep an eye on what is available in clearing this year. While clearing/extra vacancies do fluctuate each year you can get an idea which “safe” choices are likely to be options even if they aren’t in your original 5 choices.
Original post by bamsa

Cambridge
UCL
Kings
LSE
Bath

You are applying for 5 extremely risky options and could possibly end up with no offers as has happened to others. How would you feel should this happen. Cambridge and London universities in particular are heavily over subscribed due to heir location. It doesnt make much sense to gamble on 3 London universities. Personally I would suggest 1 of UCL and LSE and for Psychology I would not apply to LSE. You could then use your option for a safer option and would look st somewhere like Exeter rather going for a totally safe option like BBB which with your predicted grades you probably dont need.
Original post by Euapp

The OP would have to be a complete idiot to miss the deadline. Given their grades I assumed they were not.
The OP would have to be a complete idiot to miss the deadline. Given their grades I assumed they were not.

The problem at the moment is that many London universities in particular have still not replied so waiting for January isnt going to help although it might do elsewhere.
Original post by swanseajack1
The problem at the moment is that many London universities in particular have still not replied so waiting for January isnt going to help although it might do elsewhere.

Who knows what will happen next year? Plus what does the OP have to lose by this approach?
Reply 16

It’s not a question of being an idiot or not, but quite simply that this year the London universities plus others such as Bristol, Warwick, Durham etc haven’t replied to candidates until well after the January cut off,so waiting to see how many positive replies they get before putting down a fifth safety” choice isn’t a realistic possibility.
Either they apply to 5 risky choices and take the calculated risk that a year out may be necessary if they are unlucky, or they attempt from the outset a mix of more and less risky options. Waiting won’t bring many, if any benefits.
And as for grades being linked to organisation and common sense, I’ve often noticed that the brightest students often lack basic organisational skills.
(edited 11 months ago)
Original post by Euapp
It’s not a question of being an idiot or not, but quite simply that this year the London universities plus others such as Bristol, Warwick, Durham etc haven’t replied to candidates until well after the January cut off,so waiting to see how many positive replies they get before putting down a fifth safety” choice isn’t a realistic possibility.
Either they apply to 5 risky choices and take the calculated risk that a year out may be necessary if they are unlucky, or they attempt from the outset a mix of more and less risky options. Waiting won’t bring many, if any benefits.
And as for grades being linked to organisation and common sense, I’ve often noticed that the brightest students often lack basic organisational skills.

It is a question of being an idiot if the OP can't submit their final offers by the recognised deadline, which is the point to which I was responding.

I agree that the OP has to make decisions. My suggestion was only to give them more time and greater flexibility. This approach has been endorsed by the only person on this thread who actually works in admissions.

I'd be interested to know what @bamsa thinks.
only 3/5 of the OPs choices are London based and slow to make offers.

Applying to Cambridge and Bath and the OPs top London choice by the early deadline will mean they'd likely have 2/3 decisions before the deadline to decide how to use the 2 remaining choices. If OP gets an offer from both Cambridge and Bath then they might not even want to bother with the other 2 London universities....and if both of those are rejected then they might want to use one of their remaining choices for something safer if they're not interested in a gap year.

Saving a choice (or 2) for January is something every applicant who submits before the early deadline should do in my opinion. It gives far FAR more flexibility.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending