The Student Room Group

Highers

Heyy, am currently in the process of picking my 5th higher for medicine. The 4 highers that I've already chosen are English, chemistry, biology and maths. I haven't done nat 5 physics, thought of crashing physics but don't want to risk it as i need all A's and i honestly don't know how i am at physics not having done it. I am thinking of maybe taking it in s6 and taking higher Italian as the sth higher for this year. Would this choice of subjects weaken my chances of getting into medicine?
You've picked a strong set of highers for medicine and I'd suggest for your 5th higher to take whatever subject you feel most confident at getting an A.
For medicine you only really need Biology, Chemistry and Maths so you'll be fine. You could potentially crash physics in S6 but it might be better to focus on your advanced highers :smile:
Original post by slothonist
You've picked a strong set of highers for medicine and I'd suggest for your 5th higher to take whatever subject you feel most confident at getting an A.
For medicine you only really need Biology, Chemistry and Maths so you'll be fine. You could potentially crash physics in S6 but it might be better to focus on your advanced highers :smile:

So, are you saying that physics isn't that necessary for medicine?
Original post by Anna augustine
So, are you saying that physics isn't that necessary for medicine?

Most Scottish universities require Chemistry and two out of the following three: Maths, Biology and Physics.
You have Maths and Biology so no, you won't need Physics
Original post by Anna augustine
Heyy, am currently in the process of picking my 5th higher for medicine. The 4 highers that I've already chosen are English, chemistry, biology and maths. I haven't done nat 5 physics, thought of crashing physics but don't want to risk it as i need all A's and i honestly don't know how i am at physics not having done it. I am thinking of maybe taking it in s6 and taking higher Italian as the sth higher for this year. Would this choice of subjects weaken my chances of getting into medicine?

Would recommend whichever you think you will get the best grade in :yep:
Choose whatever subject you were best at Nat 5/ enjoyed the most. I wouldn't worry about it too much, I know someone who got into medicine with Advanced Chem, Bio and Music.
They don't expect you to have all 3 sciences as many schools (including mine!) don't actually let you do 3 sciences due to scheduling issues/lack of teachers

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending