The Student Room Group

MSc Cyber Security at which university?

I'll be finishing my BSc in CIS soon, and I thought about doing masters in Cyber Security.

I've been looking at these courses:

University of Bradford - MSc Cyber Security
https://www.bradford.ac.uk/courses/pg/cyber-security/

University of Huddersfield - MSc Cyber Security and Digital Forensics
https://courses.hud.ac.uk/2020-21/full-time/postgraduate/cyber-security-and-digital-forensics-msc

Which one would you go for and why?
Seems like Bradford is focusing on the "attacking" side, while Huddersfield on the defending side, by looking at the modules.
Which one should be more welcomed by employers?

Non of them are GCHQ accredited, but Bradford was provisionally, couple years back. (They didn't updated their website though)

I also realised that Huddersfield is way better on country ranking, but Bradford seems to be in a much better position on most world rankings.. How did that happen?

(I live between these two cities, so I'm not stressing about the environment, I know these places considered to be quite rough)
Reply 1
Have you considered Royal Holloway (if you don't mind London)... I think it could open more doors.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by KSedaine
Have you considered Royal Holloway... I think it could open more doors.

I agree.
Reply 3
Original post by KSedaine
Have you considered Royal Holloway... I think it could open more doors.

No, as I'm not planning to move away from West Yorkshire, and I don't want to apply for Maintenance loan for accommodation.
I would love to go to University of Leeds, but they only have Advanced Computer Science MSc, with no security related modules..
Reply 4
The main thing I would suggest since you say the programs are different, is to decide which area you want to work in. In a field like Cyber Security, your experience is much more important than the university.
Original post by Milan1055
I'll be finishing my BSc in CIS soon, and I thought about doing masters in Cyber Security.

I've been looking at these courses:

University of Bradford - MSc Cyber Security
https://www.bradford.ac.uk/courses/pg/cyber-security/

University of Huddersfield - MSc Cyber Security and Digital Forensics
https://courses.hud.ac.uk/2020-21/full-time/postgraduate/cyber-security-and-digital-forensics-msc

Which one would you go for and why?
Seems like Bradford is focusing on the "attacking" side, while Huddersfield on the defending side, by looking at the modules.
Which one should be more welcomed by employers?

Non of them are GCHQ accredited, but Bradford was provisionally, couple years back. (They didn't updated their website though)

I also realised that Huddersfield is way better on country ranking, but Bradford seems to be in a much better position on most world rankings.. How did that happen?

(I live between these two cities, so I'm not stressing about the environment, I know these places considered to be quite rough)

Hi @Milan1055

How are you?

Both universities are great choices. :smile:

The best thing for you to do is to way up the pros and cons of both courses. You've said you're familiar with both places, so maybe just weigh up everything else and see where it gets you?

In the meantime if you have any questions, please feel free to ask me. Or you can chat with some of our current postgraduate students on UniBuddy here.

Good luck with your decision.

Speak soon,
Harriette :smile:
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by University of Huddersfield
Hi @Milan1055

How are you?

Both universities are great choices. :smile:

The best thing for you to do is to way up the pros and cons of both courses. You've said you're familiar with both places, so maybe just weigh up everything else and see where it gets you?

In the meantime if you have any questions, please feel free to ask me. Or you can chat with some of our current postgraduate students on UniBuddy here.

Good luck with your decision.

Speak soon,

Hi Harriette, I have lots of questions about this course, as I am leaning towards Huddersfield uni for my masters. I have also submitted these questions on the website for this course:

- Is the course accredited by the GCHQ/CSC? If not, are they planning to apply for certification? (Assessments are usually take place in January/February by CSC)

- Is the course accredited by the British Computer Society? If not, why not? Should it have negative impact on the course content?

- Is there any way I could get the programme specification/handbook? Including all the extended details about the course modules and its components, weightings, assessment methods etc. (For Bradford uni I`ve found these on their website, but not on Huddersfield`s.)

- Also, any way I could see a sample timetable? How many days usually per week?

I couldn`t found anyone on Unibuddy who completed this course, but it would`ve been great to speak to someone how they liked this course and what are the opportunities etc.

Thanks in advance!
Original post by Milan1055
Hi Harriette, I have lots of questions about this course, as I am leaning towards Huddersfield uni for my masters. I have also submitted these questions on the website for this course:

- Is the course accredited by the GCHQ/CSC? If not, are they planning to apply for certification? (Assessments are usually take place in January/February by CSC)

- Is the course accredited by the British Computer Society? If not, why not? Should it have negative impact on the course content?

- Is there any way I could get the programme specification/handbook? Including all the extended details about the course modules and its components, weightings, assessment methods etc. (For Bradford uni I`ve found these on their website, but not on Huddersfield`s.)

- Also, any way I could see a sample timetable? How many days usually per week?

I couldn`t found anyone on Unibuddy who completed this course, but it would`ve been great to speak to someone how they liked this course and what are the opportunities etc.

Thanks in advance!

Hi @Milan1055

I've been in contact with the admissions team for these answers, and they have said that they have replied to these directly through your website submission. If this isn't the case, please can you let me know so I can chase these answers for you?

Thanks,
Reply 8
Original post by University of Huddersfield
Hi @Milan1055

I've been in contact with the admissions team for these answers, and they have said that they have replied to these directly through your website submission. If this isn't the case, please can you let me know so I can chase these answers for you?

Thanks,

Thank you, I've recieved most of the answers I was waiting for :smile:
My last question would be about the modules. Is that all the information available to applicants that is shown on the website regarding module content? Or is there a handbook where they go into more detail? I mean, I was provided by the assessments for each module which is very helpful, but if there is another type of description on what they exactly teach, I would loved to read into it and go deeper. If there is no such handbook, that's fine as I already recieved tons of information, but worth a try :smile:
Thanks in advance!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending