The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

ah mine is tomorrow n im kinda bricking it rn :s-smilie:
Are the official question banks similar?
Original post by Josh burns
Guys im in a dillema again and theres no one who knows my situation better than you guys

Basically im set to have my ucat on september 3rd but the thing is from now to then im only free a total of 4 days cause all the other days i have other commitments such as going to my aunts funeral cousins etc...

I put my exam on the 3rd cause my school starts on the 4th and ill need to study for mocks otherwise i wont get the neccessary predicted grades.

Im not sure what to do cause at the moment im averaging around 600 in mocks and i wanted to get that to 750 but i dont think i have the time.

one thing i could do is reschedule it later into september and this would give me time to get better but then i have a clash with my other exams so im not sure what to do.

Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Ok so what are your best and worst sections, also keep in mind that the UCAT is only one part of your application (I have to remind myself of this sometimes because it's easy to get caught up in UCAT prep)
Can as many answer this please:

I have done a medify full mock and a UCAT online one now and I noticed some big differences.
1. In the real exam is the layout the same as the UCAT website? I found it difficult to use, especially for QR where there was lots of text and I had to constantly keep scrolling up and down which took a lot of time.
2. SJ had a new set of questions drag and drop which aren't on medify, are these included in the real exam?
3. the calc on medify allows use of + - / * however the ucat calculator only allowed to type numbers. How does the calculator work in the real exam? Pressing the buttons with the mouse made me lose a lot of time, is this the case?

If as many people could reply with their experience at the test centre (as thats where I will be going), that would be appreciated as im panicking now its close!
Can anyone give advice on timing for VR? I normally do a mixture of skim reading before answering or reading question and trying to find answer without reading entire passage. This sometimes works, sometimes doesn't, can anyone recommend an approach that seems to work best? My score on medify has ranged between 630 and 830 and want to be more sure of a good score
How accurate are medify mocks/ ucat official mocks to the real thing?
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 66
For people who spent their time practicing on a Mac, how different/hard to use was the test center computer?
Original post by mozino111
hi guys, i just wanted to know what the purpose of the ucat diagnostic is? (on the medify website). its only 30 mins long so ive no idea what its for

I think it's meant to be used when u first start to give you an idea of the layout as well as show your weaker areas.
Original post by toiretre
Ok so what are your best and worst sections, also keep in mind that the UCAT is only one part of your application (I have to remind myself of this sometimes because it's easy to get caught up in UCAT prep)

Best scenario is somehow smash the ucat in 2 weeks then sweat out mocks and smash that

Worst if I fail mocks and UCAT

Idek what to do anymore i feel like if i fail ucat then its game over
if im aiming for barts, which ucat score should i be looking to hit? (my predicted grades are A*A*A*A*, but despite that im not the best when it comes to things like VR and QR so im still scared im gonna end up messing up my chances with a low ucat score)
Original post by alishacrowe
Can as many answer this please:

I have done a medify full mock and a UCAT online one now and I noticed some big differences.
1. In the real exam is the layout the same as the UCAT website? I found it difficult to use, especially for QR where there was lots of text and I had to constantly keep scrolling up and down which took a lot of time.
2. SJ had a new set of questions drag and drop which aren't on medify, are these included in the real exam?
3. the calc on medify allows use of + - / * however the ucat calculator only allowed to type numbers. How does the calculator work in the real exam? Pressing the buttons with the mouse made me lose a lot of time, is this the case?

If as many people could reply with their experience at the test centre (as thats where I will be going), that would be appreciated as im panicking now its close!

Hey, I sat my exam the other day at home, i didnt have to scroll for anything and yes sj had the drag and drop style questions at the end of the section. And the only calculator button not working using the keyboard for me was '*' but I dont know if that was just mine
guys my exam is in a few days and my UCAT Official mock scores are actually terrible (in the 2400s) should I delay it and get more practice :frown:
Original post by Emilyy7
Hey, I sat my exam the other day at home, i didnt have to scroll for anything and yes sj had the drag and drop style questions at the end of the section. And the only calculator button not working using the keyboard for me was '*' but I dont know if that was just mine

Was QR long and wordy with big tables and long multi-step calculations?
Reply 73
Original post by aeneas_son
if im aiming for barts, which ucat score should i be looking to hit? (my predicted grades are A*A*A*A*, but despite that im not the best when it comes to things like VR and QR so im still scared im gonna end up messing up my chances with a low ucat score)

https://www.qmul.ac.uk/smd/undergraduate/courses/admissions-statistics-for-medicine--dentistry/
Reply 74
Hi is verbal reasoning easier in the mock than medify? thank you
Original post by Emilyy7

hi, did you take the exam with Mac or windows system?
Original post by preethi123
guys my exam is in a few days and my UCAT Official mock scores are actually terrible (in the 2400s) should I delay it and get more practice :frown:

My advice is don't delay too long, I kinda regret having mine too late cos I'm constantly stressing about how I'm gonna do and whether I'll get a good score or not, also other people have been saying that the actual exam is easier than the official mocks so just practice on medify as that seems to be the most popular site to practice, what have u been getting in other mocks or is that the first one you've done?
Original post by random1702
Can anyone give advice on timing for VR? I normally do a mixture of skim reading before answering or reading question and trying to find answer without reading entire passage. This sometimes works, sometimes doesn't, can anyone recommend an approach that seems to work best? My score on medify has ranged between 630 and 830 and want to be more sure of a good score

For timing I skip and flag the complex passages that are either really long or it’s a historical topic about wars or something like that as I find those the hardest to work through, then I come back to it once I’ve done the easier ones.
Original post by Longjohnaureas
Did mine today, if you have any questions. 3160 was my score :smile:

Congrats that’s such a great score! How long did you prep for, what resources did you use and tips for QR?
Original post by mez_merising
ah mine is tomorrow n im kinda bricking it rn :s-smilie:

Mine is tomorrow too :frown: are you going to do any last minute prep or no? Not sure what I should be doing on the day of the test lol

Good luck, I hope it goes well :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending