The Student Room Group
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London

maths with economics in LSE 2021

Hi! I'm planning to apply for all straight maths in my uni, except for maths with econ in lse. I've already done my ps though with all maths content, there is no space for me to put any econ-relevant things in it. Is this possible, will I have the chance to get into lse?
Original post by aaaaameliaan
Hi! I'm planning to apply for all straight maths in my uni, except for maths with econ in lse. I've already done my ps though with all maths content, there is no space for me to put any econ-relevant things in it. Is this possible, will I have the chance to get into lse?

LSE are known to be picky regarding what they look for in their personal statements; they are a very competitive University and maths with economics will be a popular course. I would strongly advise if LSE is one of your top choices, for you to mention economics somewhere (even if you just link it to maths, and focus on mathematical parts of economics like game theory and econometrics for example). I do think if you want to study economics at degree level, even as part of a joint honours course, it is important to show some sort of interest, otherwise if LSE don’t find your personal statement is tailored to their course they have a high enough calibre and volume of applicants to pick someone who specifically proves they want to do LSE’s particular course. That is not to say that you have no chance if you don’t mention economics, but I think your chances could be considerably higher if you do mention economics (even if it’s only say 20-40% of your personal statement as opposed to a 50:50 split). How much economics you mention though depends on a) how many relevant economics things you’ve done, b) how big of a competent economics is in LSE’s course and c) how much economics you feel you can mention and link to maths without jeopardising your other applications. For example, if LSE is only your third choice then you may only want to make 0-30% of your statement economics related, whereas if it’s your first choice you probably will want 30-50% of your statement to be economics related. It also depends on how picky the other Universities you are applying to are.

I’d advise you perhaps discuss with a maths or economics teacher (or someone who has done a similar degree) what their opinion is; could you perhaps use a feature like UniBuddy or LinkedIn to reach out to a current LSE student on that course?

Best of luck! :h:
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London

I just finished first year of maths w/econ at lse, when I applied I also had no mention of economics in my PS (since I didn’t study it at a level either).

They do want a tailored PS still, if you’re mentioning a lot of statistics (as this relates to econometrics) and game theory then you’re pretty set, I had a good chunk on each. LSE Maths is mostly focussed on discrete maths so any mention of that is good also if you have / are studying it at a level
I'm starting at LSE Maths w Econ this week. I had no mention of any economics in my PS and even said I preferred pure maths!! I think you just need to show them that you genuinely are bright and that you'd be able to cope with the course well.
Original post by Anonymous
I just finished first year of maths w/econ at lse, when I applied I also had no mention of economics in my PS (since I didn’t study it at a level either).

They do want a tailored PS still, if you’re mentioning a lot of statistics (as this relates to econometrics) and game theory then you’re pretty set, I had a good chunk on each. LSE Maths is mostly focussed on discrete maths so any mention of that is good also if you have / are studying it at a level

I have no place to put game theory either... And I put a lot of pure maths stuff... I realise that there is really a slim chance for me to be accepted by lse.
Original post by ScullerSam
I'm starting at LSE Maths w Econ this week. I had no mention of any economics in my PS and even said I preferred pure maths!! I think you just need to show them that you genuinely are bright and that you'd be able to cope with the course well.

I have no idea right now, I think it really depends on the attitude of different examiners...
Original post by Mona123456
LSE are known to be picky regarding what they look for in their personal statements; they are a very competitive University and maths with economics will be a popular course. I would strongly advise if LSE is one of your top choices, for you to mention economics somewhere (even if you just link it to maths, and focus on mathematical parts of economics like game theory and econometrics for example). I do think if you want to study economics at degree level, even as part of a joint honours course, it is important to show some sort of interest, otherwise if LSE don’t find your personal statement is tailored to their course they have a high enough calibre and volume of applicants to pick someone who specifically proves they want to do LSE’s particular course. That is not to say that you have no chance if you don’t mention economics, but I think your chances could be considerably higher if you do mention economics (even if it’s only say 20-40% of your personal statement as opposed to a 50:50 split). How much economics you mention though depends on a) how many relevant economics things you’ve done, b) how big of a competent economics is in LSE’s course and c) how much economics you feel you can mention and link to maths without jeopardising your other applications. For example, if LSE is only your third choice then you may only want to make 0-30% of your statement economics related, whereas if it’s your first choice you probably will want 30-50% of your statement to be economics related. It also depends on how picky the other Universities you are applying to are.

I’d advise you perhaps discuss with a maths or economics teacher (or someone who has done a similar degree) what their opinion is; could you perhaps use a feature like UniBuddy or LinkedIn to reach out to a current LSE student on that course?

Best of luck! :h:

Thanks for the advice, but my top choices are Oxford and imperial, so... all picky and hard to get in, should I just give up lse then?
Thanks for the advice, but my top choices are Oxford and imperial, so... all picky and hard to get in, should I just give up lse then?

I’m not an LSE admissions tutor so can’t really give you any proper advice on what to do. If LSE is your third choice, I would perhaps be inclined to not mention economics to tailor your PS more towards Oxford and Imperial, and then if you still want to you can apply to LSE (after all it is only one of five choices), but given that LSE probably would look for some expression of interest in economics for the joint degree, it’s up to you whether you want to go for it or whether there is a different straight maths course elsewhere that you like just as much and would be equally happy to go to (in which case, I would probably pick them over LSE as your chances of an offer would probably be higher).

Best of luck with your decision! :smile:
I’m not an LSE admissions tutor so can’t really give you any proper advice on what to do. If LSE is your third choice, I would perhaps be inclined to not mention economics to tailor your PS more towards Oxford and Imperial, and then if you still want to you can apply to LSE (after all it is only one of five choices), but given that LSE probably would look for some expression of interest in economics for the joint degree, it’s up to you whether you want to go for it or whether there is a different straight maths course elsewhere that you like just as much and would be equally happy to go to (in which case, I would probably pick them over LSE as your chances of an offer would probably be higher).

Best of luck with your decision! :smile:

Ok, thanks, by the way, are you currently studying in lse?
Ok, thanks, by the way, are you currently studying in lse?

You’re welcome. I’m not at LSE; I’m an incoming Oxford student, but I know a handful of people who are starting at LSE doing straight Economics this year. Best of luck!
As your main course choice is Maths, and and if you want LSE as one of you uni choices, you may want to consider Maths, Stats and Business rather than Maths with Economics. Then you should pretty much be able to keep your existing Maths PS.
Original post by Typhoons
As your main course choice is Maths, and and if you want LSE as one of you uni choices, you may want to consider Maths, Stats and Business rather than Maths with Economics. Then you should pretty much be able to keep your existing Maths PS.

Oh I didn't know this course before, I'll have a look at it, thanks!!
You’re welcome. I’m not at LSE; I’m an incoming Oxford student, but I know a handful of people who are starting at LSE doing straight Economics this year. Best of luck!

Hope I could make into Oxford this year as well hahahaha. May I ask that which college you are in, I'm thinking about Keble now but I haven't made up my mind.
Oh I didn't know this course before, I'll have a look at it, thanks!!

But this is more stats-related, and I didn't mention any stats stuff, is that ok?
Hope I could make into Oxford this year as well hahahaha. May I ask that which college you are in, I'm thinking about Keble now but I haven't made up my mind.

I’ll PM you :smile:
Obvs LSE is a better economics based uni. Im defo a more mathsy person. In quality of course is there much difference between maths and econ vs maths with econ?
(edited 3 years ago)
Applied to LSE for 2018/2019 entry.
I applied with A*A*A*A predicted, got an interview offer from Oxford and an Imperial offer but was rejected from LSE due to my personal statement.
My personal statement was about Calculus, Achievements in Competitions, a book I read which was on Probability, etc.
It might've been that I seemed so desperate as I've applied to three of their courses.
In the rejection emails though, it all mentioned my personal statement showing little interest in the course, despite having good grades.
Original post by Jaaaaaack
Obvs LSE is a better economics based uni. Im defo a more mathsy person. In qualirt of course is there much difference between maths and econ vs maths with econ?

no

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending