The Student Room Group

Are you an organ donor?

What is your reason for being /not being an organ donor and if you are an organ donor are you donating everything or only some things?

Scroll to see replies

I was an organ donor before the opt out system, I don't need my organs when I am dead because I will be dead.
Original post by Anonymous1502
What is your reason for being /not being an organ donor and if you are an organ donor are you donating everything or only some things?

Yes. I don't need them when I'm dead. I can't imagine how people dying of organ failure feel seeing organs, that could save their lives, being thrown away. Yet another evil of some religions.
Absolutely - have been a registered donor since I turned 18 (many moons ago) and had already told my Mum of my wishes before that.
I don't need them when I am dead and I could transform someone else's life. I don't care which parts they use.
i am a stem cell donor but not an organ donor, because i don't really know how i actually feel on the subject but i probably will become one, just need more information
Reply 5

no. because i'm paranoid. i have a rare blood type, so i'm scared that organ traffickers/corrupted people in the nhs would like use my organs to save some rich/famous person's life. also it just grosses me out... the whole idea.
I am because I don't need my organs once I'm dead and I'd rather be cremated so it seems a waste to burn all the organ goodies.
Plus, if someone gets my eyes, it's easier to hack and transfer my soul into them and I will live once again aaaaaaahahahahaha :sneakydevil:
Original post by Wannabevetnurse
i am a stem cell donor but not an organ donor, because i don't really know how i actually feel on the subject but i probably will become one, just need more information

As soon as you turn 18 you become one unless you opt out.
yes I registered when I was 17, I'm donating everything as my organs are no use to me when I'm dead and out of my families pain they will know that another family isn't suffering because their loved one got another chance at life.
(Original post by DiddyDec)
As soon as you turn 18 you become one unless you opt out.

I am filling in a GP registration form I am confused why it is asking me whether I want to donate my organs if the system changed
I am filling in a GP registration form I am confused why it is asking me whether I want to donate my organs if the system changed

Probably because the form is long out of date and nobody has actually checked it.
Yep, have been on the system for a while. Though God help anybody who ends up with my bits...

Because that is your opportunity to opt out.
I was a donor long before the law changed. I don't need my organs when I am dead but someone else might so why not?

Original post by Wannabevetnurse

You already are unless you have opted out.

Original post by Ciel.
no. because i'm paranoid. i have a rare blood type, so i'm scared that organ traffickers/corrupted people in the nhs would like use my organs to save some rich/famous person's life. also it just grosses me out... the whole idea.

Have you opted out?
No.
I've opted out, have no desire to donate any organs or body parts posthumously and don't agree with the decision to introduce the 'opt out' system.
Reply 14
How does the organ get from your dead body to the personal having the transplant though? Don't your organs stop functioning when you die?
No.
Original post by Deggs_14
How does the organ get from your dead body to the personal having the transplant though? Don't your organs stop functioning when you die?

Once you hit the bucket and get to hospital they have a few hours to get the organ and start pumping some blood/fluids/etc back into it. Dependent on the organ it can last up to a day, more than long enough for a helicopter to get it from one place in the country to another for transplant (and finding a donor/etc)

Other stuff (skin, tissues, etc) I'm not so sure about, but I'm quite sure you can artificially run lungs and hearts or kidneys between transplant (iirc?)

I remember seeing a trial for a machine that kept a heart going for ~3 days, which was pretty neat; not sure it's in practical use yet, though.

EDIT:
I haven't opted out/etc and am too lazy to opt out, just as I'd be too lazy to opt in. So I'm glad it's opt-out. Personally I think that there should be an option to specify conditions for donation, i.e. to make sure an ass isn't getting it, but that might be too complicated xD
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 17
Original post by black tea
I was a donor long before the law changed. I don't need my organs when I am dead but someone else might so why not?

You already are unless you have opted out.

Have you opted out?

yeah. same with my bf.. he didn't give a **** but i still made him do it. i don't want anyone cutting up his body if he dies.
Reply 18
Original post by Deggs_14

it's only possible when you die in hospital because they need to like supply oxygen to your organs and ****, and they put you on a ventilator etc. if you die in let's say, a car crash they can't use your organs. unless you're still alive but brain dead etc.
i have a rather nice piano which i won't need after i have gone to the great concert hall in the sky...

Quick Reply

Latest