The Student Room Group

Official PlayStation Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by _gcx
I mean, not really. There should still be a graphical improvement because of ray tracing. Though the way I see ray tracing at the moment - it's a major performance hit for a hardly noticeable graphical improvement.

gamescom rt of rift apart looked a lot better than the ps5 launch video. also it isnt a guarantee all games will have rt. but to me, 4k trailers definitely looked more impressive than the 1080p (i remember the 1080p of horizon looked lame but looked great in 4k.
Original post by _gcx
I mean, not really. There should still be a graphical improvement because of ray tracing. Though the way I see ray tracing at the moment - it's a major performance hit for a hardly noticeable graphical improvement. Usually turn it off.

It didn't look like there was any ray tracing, and there were opportunities to show it off in the scene used for CoD.
Original post by Jammy Duel
It's not just lower resolution/stream, the textures are all quite smooth and lacking details, even beyond compression, and it looked very much like no ray tracing. Case in point compare how FF16 looked vs either of those two games.

i guess its up to the developer at the end of the day.
not devil may cry 5 again :colonhash:
why do so many games which say Playstation exclusive also say in small writing *also available on PC?" is it a stock logo or does it mean a time-release exclusive deal.
Original post by quasa
i guess its up to the developer at the end of the day.

It's already confirmed to have ray tracing, in the PC version at least.

This so far has been pretty lacking, missed the first few minutes but the only new thing is FF16, other than that it's all stuff we've seen before
Original post by Jammy Duel
It's already confirmed to have ray tracing, in the PC version at least.

This so far has been pretty lacking, missed the first few minutes but the only new thing is FF16, other than that it's all stuff we've seen before

the spidey video is new and definitely looks raytraced.
Original post by quasa
why do so many games which say Playstation exclusive also say in small writing *also available on PC?" is it a stock logo or does it mean a time-release exclusive deal.

All "Xbox exclusive" means these days is "not on PlayStation" so it makes sense that Sony are taking a similar approach. They've already started with Horizon Zero Dawn, soon we could see stuff like Killzone, (particularly since it's also Guerilla developed) Uncharted and co on Steam. (this would have seemed mad 5 years ago, but we're in the days of having Halo available on Steam)
Original post by quasa

It means exactly what it says, they are exclusive to PS on the console front but will also have a better version released on PC.
Original post by _gcx
All "Xbox exclusive" means these days is "not on PlayStation" so it makes sense that Sony are taking a similar approach. They've already started with Horizon Zero Dawn, soon we could see stuff like Killzone, Uncharted and co on Steam. (this would have seemed mad 5 years ago, but we're in the days of having Halo available on Steam)

also consider that "playstation now" lets you play playstation games on pc but yeah, agreed
Original post by quasa
the spidey video is new and definitely looks raytraced.

The video is new, but we already knew about the game. Will have to go back and watch it again to see if it looked like there was ray tracing.
didnt know fortnite had superpowers
Gotta cater to the 12 year olds making sure they know they can still play Fortnite
Original post by quasa
also consider that "playstation now" lets you play playstation games on pc but yeah, agreed

It has a reasonable enough explanation - Xbone sales were weak, MS regretted making things exclusives so hurried a lot of games out onto PC, and now Sony is following suit to make sure it doesn't lose out on that market too. Same has happened with Wii U exclusives once their deal (or similar) ran out. Really the only way XB/PS can compete with PC now is pricing very competitively, because they're very quickly losing all selling points.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by _gcx
It has a reasonable enough explanation - Xbone sales were weak, MS regretted making things exclusives so hurried a lot of games out onto PC, and now Sony is following suit to make sure it doesn't lose out on that market too. Really the only way XB/PS can compete with PC now is pricing very competitively, because they're very quickly losing all selling points.

In reality they sell by making PC look expensive and complicated, which is a widely held view among the "casuals" anyway
ps plus collection: ps plus subscribers will get a whole bunch of free games including gow, persona 5, last of us, and a bunch of others :biggrin:
Original post by quasa
ps plus collection: ps plus subscribers will get a whole bunch of free games including gow, persona 5, last of us, and a bunch of others :biggrin:

Sounds like game pass, except only one generation worth of games. Something Sony had to do just to be able to vaguely match microsoft.
Ps5 out 19th november!!!
£359.99 for digital version, 449.99 for disk version!!!
Original post by quasa

So basically - what PS Plus has always done just with more permanent games? Not sure if they got rid of the yearly games thing.

Quick Reply

Latest