The Student Room Group

TV characters with incidental autistic traits.

Autism on TV is very very serotyped- eg. Genius that makes ridiculously inappropriate comments, dresses weirdly & has no friends.

Can anyone think of any TV characters that either are meant to be autistic and don't display the TV stereotype OR incidentally show autistic traits?
Original post by glassalice
Autism on TV is very very serotyped- eg. Genius that makes ridiculously inappropriate comments, dresses weirdly & has no friends.

Can anyone think of any TV characters that either are meant to be autistic and don't display the TV stereotype OR incidentally show autistic traits?

Abed from Community
Original post by ameliadaismorgan
Abed from Community

Oooh never watched community!
Reply 3
bbc's sherlock, maybe?
Original post by Ciel.
bbc's sherlock, maybe?

Nah, I doubt (in real life) he would actually be considered to be autistic, he's probably a psychopath.
Reply 5
Nah, I doubt (in real life) he would actually be considered to be autistic, he's probably a psychopath.

most psychopaths have superb social skills and 0 empathy. i think sherlock has a lot of asperger's traits at least. but who knows
Original post by Ciel.
most psychopaths have superb social skills and 0 empathy. i think sherlock has a lot of asperger's traits at least. but who knows

I always got the sense though that he understood the social norms/ rules, but felt that he was above them/ saw no point in them.
Its been a while since I watched it though.
Reply 7
Original post by ameliadaismorgan
Abed from Community

Abed is an interesting case, because writer Dan Harmon wanted to write him as autistic, started relating to him on an odd level, took it up with a prof, and actually ended up getting himself an autism diagnosis because of it.
Reply 8
Original post by Ciel.
bbc's sherlock, maybe?

yeah. bendict cumberbatch has denied it but i can definitely see parts of myself in him. i relate a little more to the elementary sherlock, though
Saga Noren from The Bridge [Scandinavian crime drama]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saga_Nor%C3%A9n
Tilly from Star Trek discovery?
- Atypical
- The A Word
- a couple of characters from Girl Meets world are (been ages since have watched that though)

When I read this thread, I thought of Sheldon Cooper from TBBT spontaneously! But a real autist who plays an autist in a TV? no, I can't name an actor/actress.
Original post by Alesha1991
Saga Noren from The Bridge [Scandinavian crime drama]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saga_Nor%C3%A9n

She makes inappropriate comments, and is very forward with sex with no emotional connection...

Quick Reply

Latest