The Student Room Group

should I upgrade my phone?

I currently have an iPhone 7 and have used almost all the storage. it frequently turns off whilst I am using it, overheats when I am using it and the battery lasts about 3/4 hours, which is obviously not useful when I am out for the day.if I did get a new phone it would probably be my big Christmas present but I don't really need anything else. I'm currently on a 24 month contract with Vodafone and I heard I could buy a new phone and swap the sim without being charged, is this true? my contract ends in June next year. if I did get a new phone it would definite be an iPhone so I can link it to my MacBook and other apple devices. I think I currently have 32gb of storage which I have used about 30gb of. I would like a phone without the home button but have no idea which one is best, could anyone please recommend one? sorry for the long post!!!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by mangosmoothie
I currently have an iPhone 7 and have used almost all the storage. it frequently turns off whilst I am using it, overheats when I am using it and the battery lasts about 3/4 hours, which is obviously not useful when I am out for the day.if I did get a new phone it would probably be my big Christmas present but I don't really need anything else. I'm currently on a 24 month contract with Vodafone and I heard I could buy a new phone and swap the sim without being charged, is this true? my contract ends in June next year. if I did get a new phone it would definite be an iPhone so I can link it to my MacBook and other apple devices. I think I currently have 32gb of storage which I have used about 30gb of. I would like a phone without the home button but have no idea which one is best, could anyone please recommend one? sorry for the long post!!!

If you can hold out a few more weeks they're releasing the new range of iPhone 12s sometime in October which would drop the price of older models, as a rule of thumb if your buying a phone outright or on contract I would always go for one no released more than a year or 2 ago which for iPhones is iPhone XS & XR or newer. All new iPhones since the 8 have started at 64GB base storage, they even released an updated iPhone SE (2020) which is their low end "budget" model but has the same processor as the new iPhone 11 Pros so will get updates for years to come but does have a home button, so if you want one without than the XS/XR or newer would be best
(edited 3 years ago)
I don't get why people are so fond of IPhones, I much prefer Samsung. However, you should change your phone every couple of years or whenever there are no more updates.

In terms of storage, you could always transfer things to a usb hard drive or your MacBook so that it last for a bit longer. See how that works and if it's still slow and annoying, you've got a bit longer to wait for the new release as per above.
Original post by SleepyBeans
In terms of storage, you could always transfer things to a usb hard drive or your MacBook so that it last for a bit longer. See how that works and if it's still slow and annoying, you've got a bit longer to wait for the new release as per above.

thank you for your advice!! I have transfered most of my photos to my MacBook but the system itslef uses nearly 10bg. If I do get a new phone I won't be getting one until Christmas anyway so I would probably be looking at an iPhone 11 or 12
Original post by Snarly_Charlie
I don't get why people are so fond of IPhones, I much prefer Samsung. However, you should change your phone every couple of years or whenever there are no more updates.

my whole family use iPhones so it is much easier as we used to the software and I also have a MacBook, AirPods and an iPad with an Apple Pencil so I can link all my devices together. I have had my phone for a year and a half and it just doesn't have enough storage and is nearly 5 years old, thank you for the reply though!!
Original post by Fresher18
If you can hold out a few more weeks they're releasing the new range of iPhone 12s sometime in October which would drop the price of older models, as a rule of thumb if your buying a phone outright or on contract I would always go for one no released more than a year or 2 ago which for iPhones is iPhone XS & XR or newer. All new iPhones since the 8 have started at 64GB base storage, they even released an updated iPhone SE (2020) which is their low end "budget" model but has the same processor as the new iPhone 11 Pros so will get updates for years to come but does have a home button, so if you want one without than the XS/XR or newer would be best

thank you so much for the advice!! I won't be getting a new phone till Christmas so I'm assuming the new phone will be out by then. do you know what the difference is expected to be between the iPhone 11 and 12?😊
Original post by Snarly_Charlie

Samsung's One UI is pretty bad. I'd also avoid Chinese brands.
Reply 8
Original post by dropdehbombman

Samsung is South Korean :facepalm2:

You can do so much more with Samsung though. Apple has too many restrictions.
thank you so much for the advice!! I won't be getting a new phone till Christmas so I'm assuming the new phone will be out by then. do you know what the difference is expected to be between the iPhone 11 and 12?😊

It should be out by then as I think it should be out in late October/November so by Christmas the stock levels should have also sorted themselves out. The biggest expected difference is 5G as for other things I think they were rumours of a new design more like iPhone 4/5 style with full screen display like on the 11 currently, macrumors has a good roundup of all the expected changes https://www.macrumors.com/roundup/iphone-12/ .
Original post by Drewski
Samsung is South Korean :facepalm2:

I know. That's why I said also.
Original post by Blue_Moon2
You can do so much more with Samsung though. Apple has too many restrictions.

They're better than Apple, but I prefer Sony, Nokia and Motorola, much cleaner software.
Original post by Fresher18
It should be out by then as I think it should be out in late October/November so by Christmas the stock levels should have also sorted themselves out. The biggest expected difference is 5G as for other things I think they were rumours of a new design more like iPhone 4/5 style with full screen display like on the 11 currently, macrumors has a good roundup of all the expected changes https://www.macrumors.com/roundup/iphone-12/ .

thank you so much!!!
They're better than Apple, but I prefer Sony, Nokia and Motorola, much cleaner software.

I definitely want to stick with apple for now, but thank you!
I definitely want to stick with apple for now, but thank you!

Sure, whatever works for you :smile:
As the others have said, wait for the 12 to see if you get any decent offers for the older models. I'd go for the 11 Pro, the 11 (£729) is quite large.
Reply 16

I have this, specifically in the mornings for some reason. It turns off about 8 or so times then works fine, more or less.
Any idea why this happens per chance?
Original post by Napp
I have this, specifically in the mornings for some reason. It turns off about 8 or so times then works fine, more or less.

Any idea why this happens per chance?

I went to the apple store last weekend and they told me they could factory reset my phone but there was a chance that I would loose photos, messages and emails so I said no. they told me to pay 80p a month for more iCloud storage and that hasn't really helped. do you have an iPhone 7 to?
Reply 18
I went to the apple store last weekend and they told me they could factory reset my phone but there was a chance that I would loose photos, messages and emails so I said no. they told me to pay 80p a month for more iCloud storage and that hasn't really helped. do you have an iPhone 7 to?

Aye, although im looking at upgrading in the next few months. Just waiting for them to release a 5G model as my phone still functions sufficiently for me to wait )
Original post by Napp
Aye, although im looking at upgrading in the next few months. Just waiting for them to release a 5G model as my phone still functions sufficiently for me to wait )

that's what I'm doing. if I do get a new phone it will be for xmas anyway, I'm sick of my phone overheating 24/7

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending