The Student Room Group

Pharmacy degree

I’m thinking about doing MPharm in university and can’t seem to find anywhere where it says How your graded.
Are they’re exams at the end of the 4 years or is it every year or are there no exams?
Are the exams similar to a level exams?
Do you have to memorise a lot of content for the exams?
Original post by Jeff66666666
I’m thinking about doing MPharm in university and can’t seem to find anywhere where it says How your graded.
Are they’re exams at the end of the 4 years or is it every year or are there no exams?

Hi, I'm about to go into the second year of my MPharm course.

You get exams every single year. In your degree, you complete different modules. Throughout the year, you may have smaller assessments that may constitute smaller percentages of your grade for a module, and then most likely you also will have a big end of year test that covers most of the content from that year.

It's not similar to A Levels at all, it's actually easier in my opinion. For A Levels, you learn for 2 years and then you have to do exams based off everything at the end. At university, you have exams every year (so there's less to revise for the big exam than if you were to only get assessed at the end of the 4th year), and throughout the year you also get assessed on particular topics too. I think this way is better

You do have to remember a lot of content yes, but it's possible :smile: I only got Cs in Biology and Chemistry A Level and in my first year I scored over 70% for my exams as a whole so it's doable
Reply 2
Original post by randomsheep11

You get exams every single year. In your degree, you complete different modules. Throughout the year, you may have smaller assessments that may constitute smaller percentages of your grade for a module, and then most likely you also will have a big end of year test that covers most of the content from that year.

It's not similar to A Levels at all, it's actually easier in my opinion. For A Levels, you learn for 2 years and then you have to do exams based off everything at the end. At university, you have exams every year (so there's less to revise for the big exam than if you were to only get assessed at the end of the 4th year), and throughout the year you also get assessed on particular topics too. I think this way is better

You do have to remember a lot of content yes, but it's possible :smile: I only got Cs in Biology and Chemistry A Level and in my first year I scored over 70% for my exams as a whole so it's doable

Hey what university do you go to ? Im going to be doing foundation year so I hope I can pass, I got Cs and Bs , but my maths isn't that strong as I didn't do it for a-level. When do you apply for pre reg year ?
Original post by lopolik
Hey what university do you go to ? Im going to be doing foundation year so I hope I can pass, I got Cs and Bs , but my maths isn't that strong as I didn't do it for a-level. When do you apply for pre reg year ?

Hi :smile: I go to Portsmouth University. My Maths isn't strong either, I only got a grade 5 at GCSE and didn't do it at A level - but at my university we do a little module on maths skills and do an exam on that, I just needed a bit of help from some of my friends who did A Level Maths and I ended up getting a great score in the assessment - it's all doable trust me :smile:

I don't actually know when you apply for pre reg year, maybe at the end of 3rd year?

Hey @Jeff66666666!

I am just starting my third year at Portsmouth, so I can help answer your questions :smile:

You have exams every year - generally one exam per unit, but you may have other coursework/ in class tests throughout the year that count towards your final grade
Your final degree is made up of your grades from 2nd to 4th year - 2nd year is worth 20%, 3rd year is work 30% and 4th year is worth 50%
You have to get at least 40% in every single exam in order to move into the next academic year

There is a fair amount of content and it can get a bit busy revision wise towards the end of the year - so I would recommend starting your revision early and keeping on top of everything!

As for applying for the pre-reg year, you start the process in third year - the places are allocated through a programme called oriel - which you have to go to a centre and do different tests/talking to people (I'm not entirely sure what, I think it includes situational judgement and maths).
You then have to rank all the placements in the UK that you are interested in ( be it hospital or community) and then based on how well you do at the test centre you get a score out of all of the pharmacy students doing it that year, and this helps the placements choose what pre-reg students they want

I hope this makes sense!
Feel free to ask any other questions

Eloise - Official Student Rep :smile:
Original post by randomsheep11

Thanks for the reply
How long are the exams?
Are the questions like any a level/ gcse question or are there some multiple choice
Thanks for the reply
How long are the exams?
Are the questions like any a level/ gcse question or are there some multiple choice

Hey @Jeff66666666

The exams are around 90 minutes at the end of the year I believe (in normal circumstances - this year they were 30 minutes online because of COVID)

At Portsmouth specifically all end of year exams are multiple choice (apart from a couple of exams in first year that require long answers)
This is because the Registration exam is multiple choice - so it gets you ready for it :smile:

The questions won't be based on A-levels or your GCSEs but they will be based on the content you are taught on the course

I hope this helps!
Eloise - Official Student Rep
Original post by University of Portsmouth Student Rep
Hey @Jeff66666666

The exams are around 90 minutes at the end of the year I believe (in normal circumstances - this year they were 30 minutes online because of COVID)

At Portsmouth specifically all end of year exams are multiple choice (apart from a couple of exams in first year that require long answers)
This is because the Registration exam is multiple choice - so it gets you ready for it :smile:

The questions won't be based on A-levels or your GCSEs but they will be based on the content you are taught on the course

I hope this helps!

Thanks I have read all the replies
I read somewhere that if you forget anything from a levels you’re going to struggle
Is this true?
Thanks I have read all the replies
I read somewhere that if you forget anything from a levels you’re going to struggle
Is this true?

Hey @Jeff66666666!

I don't think this is true at all!
The majority of first year is catching everyone up so they're on the same level - this means a lot of A-level content is recapped and added to

If you're worried about forgetting A-level content you can always take your A-level notes with you and refer back to them if you ever need to once you have been taught something you're not too sure on at uni

I took mine with me - and I think I looked at them once! So don't feel like you have to

I hope this helps!
Original post by University of Portsmouth Student Rep
Hey @Jeff66666666!

I don't think this is true at all!
The majority of first year is catching everyone up so they're on the same level - this means a lot of A-level content is recapped and added to

If you're worried about forgetting A-level content you can always take your A-level notes with you and refer back to them if you ever need to once you have been taught something you're not too sure on at uni

I took mine with me - and I think I looked at them once! So don't feel like you have to

I hope this helps!

👍 thanks for clearing that for me

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending