The Student Room Group

Lack of motivation

Is there anyone who struggles with motivation during lockdown and working from home? I just can’t seem to stick to my revision that I have to do for an exam. Any tips would be appreciated on what you do to motivate yourself and when everything feels too much
Reply 1
it's just self discipline. i also struggle, but one thing that helps me is putting my phone away in a room far away from mine and putting it somewhere where it would take effort to take back. i usually put it somewhere i can't reach without a chair or something, and then i dont have a pull towards it as much.
Just do it, ignore whether or not you want to and do your work.

It’s called discipline, motivation isn’t created only before a task but also after and during.

Get the work going and you’ll feel much better.
Original post by Kubys
it's just self discipline. i also struggle, but one thing that helps me is putting my phone away in a room far away from mine and putting it somewhere where it would take effort to take back. i usually put it somewhere i can't reach without a chair or something, and then i dont have a pull towards it as much.

This is very true actually. I put my phone on 'do not disturb' which is great for not getting any distractions but I end up just picking it when I get bored. I think I might try this, thanks so much. Also, in the nicest way possible it's nice to hear that other people struggle with this too and that I'm not the only one!

Good luck with your studies
Original post by LauraSSx
Is there anyone who struggles with motivation during lockdown and working from home? I just can’t seem to stick to my revision that I have to do for an exam. Any tips would be appreciated on what you do to motivate yourself and when everything feels too much

Yesssss all my motivation is out the window 😭
Original post by JustOneMoreThing
Just do it, ignore whether or not you want to and do your work.

It’s called discipline, motivation isn’t created only before a task but also after and during.

Get the work going and you’ll feel much better.

Thank you. I definitely do struggle with self-discipline I think! I guess I've just got to suck it up and do it regardless of how i feel.
Original post by SmartUnicorn
Yesssss all my motivation is out the window 😭

It's so hard isn't it! As much as I try to make myself do it, it just seems impossible or I get really stressed or bored when I'm doing it so I give up! Its annoying because im not a lazy person or anything but i think lockdown has really affected me. I need to be in a routine and going to uni so I'm out the house!

I understand! I think the best way is to keep reminding yourself of your goal, surround yourself with people who make you want to work harder, watch study tubers and think of your parents (although I think it depends on your relationship with them)
Original post by carihotchner
I understand! I think the best way is to keep reminding yourself of your goal, surround yourself with people who make you want to work harder, watch study tubers and think of your parents (although I think it depends on your relationship with them)

Thank you so much for your reply! This is really good advice. I've never heard of study tubers but I'm guessing from the name it's on Youtube? I've tried to search for it but can only find review videos on Youtube for it, would you be able to steer me in the right direction to find it? Thank you :smile:
Thank you so much for your reply! This is really good advice. I've never heard of study tubers but I'm guessing from the name it's on Youtube? I've tried to search for it but can only find review videos on Youtube for it, would you be able to steer me in the right direction to find it? Thank you :smile:

Medicine: Tsoony Sun, Rachel Southard, Madalyn's Musings, Lani Pliopa, Ali Abdal
Law: Eve Cornwell (especially her older videos)
English: Jack Edwards
and there's also Unjaded Jade's older videos
Glad this helped!
It's so hard isn't it! As much as I try to make myself do it, it just seems impossible or I get really stressed or bored when I'm doing it so I give up! Its annoying because im not a lazy person or anything but i think lockdown has really affected me. I need to be in a routine and going to uni so I'm out the house!

Yessss without a routine it’s so much harder
First of all you need to remeber that it's necessary and important work wich has to be done. There is no "want". There is only "must".
Remember that.
p.s. Music on and go on working, be calm and relaxed
i am really lacking motivation
i just feel like what is the point i am not even gonna get the grades

Quick Reply

Latest