The Student Room Group

I have been diagnosed with ADD and would like to help my concetration with Ritalin

Wanted Ritalin to help but with current covid situaltion it seems difficult to see my doctor as I am offshore student in London. Any advise how can i get it quickly.
Original post by SunnyPaw2
Wanted Ritalin to help but with current covid situaltion it seems difficult to see my doctor as I am offshore student in London. Any advise how can i get it quickly.

Medication is usually only for ADHD ... what support are you getting?
Original post by Muttley79
Medication is usually only for ADHD ... what support are you getting?

ADD is ADHD.

Methylphenidate is given for without hyperactivity surprisingly often.
Original post by marinade
ADD is ADHD.

Methylphenidate is given for without hyperactivity surprisingly often.

No - it is not anywhere near the same - they share some aspects but it's different. Many with ADD do not need medication at all.
No - it is not anywhere near the same - they share some aspects but it's different. Many with ADD do not need medication at all.

hey Mutley, do you have source for this? I was also under the impression that they are very similar and medication is used pretty much equally been the two? Would be interested to hear more :smile:

Under the DSM-5 they're actually the same thing now.
Original post by Vapordave
Under the DSM-5 they're actually the same thing now.

Not in the UK ....
Not in the UK ....

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/attention-deficit-hyperactivity-disorder-adhd/symptoms/
For example, some people with the condition may have problems with inattentiveness, but not with hyperactivity or impulsiveness. This form of ADHD is also known as attention deficit disorder (ADD).

As of 2013 ADD and ADHD are now the same thing, similar to Asperger's now being part of the Autism Spectrum.
https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/attention-deficit-hyperactivity-disorder-adhd/symptoms/

As of 2013 ADD and ADHD are now the same thing, similar to Asperger's now being part of the Autism Spectrum.

Well that's not how students are receiving a diagnosis ...
Well that's not how students are receiving a diagnosis ...

If they were diagnosed before 2013 then there would have been a distinction. Past that it's now the same.
If they were diagnosed before 2013 then there would have been a distinction. Past that it's now the same.

No, I mean now - separate diagnosis of ADD are still being given ...
No, I mean now - separate diagnosis of ADD are still being given ...

Oh. Well, I'm not sure what to say about that... It's still the same though.
Reply 12
Hi, I had to get it done privately.

Just please make sure you do your research before taking it. I've seen some destructive side effects on people that take it.

Quick Reply

Latest