The Student Room Group

No privacy 😭

Hi,I have no privacy in my own room.I get my parents pays everything and payed for my room too but this is so annoying,my mum comes into my room while I’m my school and looks into my drawers,she opens my window and opens my curtains too when I didn’t ask her to.After that she leaves my door open for my 2 year old sister to come into my room and to break/mess up everything.My sister broke something once because my mum didn’t close the door.

Today while I was revising my mum came into my room,opened my drawers and said “you can’t eat junk food all the time and not want to eat the dinner I cooked for you either” because earlier on I said to her that I didn’t want “dinner” when it’s my 4th meal if I have it. I asked her to leave my room but no,she kept shouting and moaning at me.

I bet you she looks under my bed and in my closet too,the weirdo.
And she’s the one that keeps making fun of my weight when the doctors said I’m a normal,healthy weight but my mum keeps telling me to eat everything she sees.

How can I stop her from going into my room without asking her to because I know she won’t listen?
(edited 3 years ago)
Bump
Oh and I forgot to mention that the both of them do not respect my boundaries.
Original post by Summerneive
Hi,I have no privacy in my own room.I get my parents pays everything and payed for my room too but this is so annoying,my mum comes into my room while I’m my school and looks into my drawers,she opens my window and opens my curtains too when I didn’t ask her to.After that she leaves my door open for my 2 year old sister to come into my room and to break/mess up everything.My sister broke something once because my mum didn’t close the door.

Today while I was revising my mum came into my room,opened my drawers and said “you can’t eat junk food all the time and not want to eat the dinner I cooked for you either” because earlier on I said to her that I didn’t want “dinner” when it’s my 4th meal if I have it. I asked her to leave my room but no,she kept shouting and moaning at me.

I bet you she looks under my bed and in my closet too,the weirdo.
And she’s the one that keeps making fun of my weight when the doctors said I’m a normal,healthy weight but my mum keeps telling me to eat everything she sees.

How can I stop her from going into my room without asking her to because I know she won’t listen?

Yikes... I'm really sorry you need that, you do need that quiet place to study really. This sounds a little toxic actually, if I am being honest with you (the relationship with yourself and your mum), as you feel like you're being overfed yet your mum makes fun of your weight? Nobody should be making fun of somebody's weight and it sounds like your mum's comments affect you. Not being nosy but is your mum cleaning your room when your mum comes in or is your mum just looking everywhere?

I can say that the tone of one's voice really helps in a conversation. I don't know how you speak to your mum but speak in a consistently kind manner, even if your mum is yelling at you, so at least you know you're not the one raising your voice and so you can't be faulted for that. Genuinely be honest, even about the weight, in a consistently nice manner and if your mum seems to have a problem with that, don't retaliate back as you know you won't get through to your mum as it'll just cause a conflict and it won't help anything.

Talk to your friends about this too and see what they say (literally vent if needed, your friends are there to help you too). As they know you personally, they can give better tips than I can probably. Hope you're ok though... :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest