The Student Room Group

Commute or Stay in Accomodation?

Hi,
I'm in my 3rd (last) year now and the situation is the following: I have lectures only twice a week so we can focus on our research project (basically dissertation), I live 20 mins away by train from uni. I also haven't met any friends whatsoever so yeah, uni life hasn't been great for me.

The question is whether I should move back home and save a LOT of money and just commute (£10 a week) especially when I want to get a driving license and still have some savings after I graduate OR persevere and enjoy uni life as much as I can and continue living at my accommodation (even though that uni life is non-existent)?

One massive disadvantage of this is that I won't have as great comfort and privacy at home like I do in my accommodation. However, I have to look long-term since I'm planning to move out anyway and do part-time masters with full-time job.
Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous #1
Hi,
I'm in my 3rd (last) year now and the situation is the following: I have lectures only twice a week so we can focus on our research project (basically dissertation), I live 20 mins away by train from uni. I also haven't met any friends whatsoever so yeah, uni life hasn't been great for me.

The question is whether I should move back home and save a LOT of money and just commute (£10 a week) especially when I want to get a driving license and still have some savings after I graduate OR persevere and enjoy uni life as much as I can and continue living at my accommodation (even though that uni life is non-existent)?

One massive disadvantage of this is that I won't have as great comfort and privacy at home like I do in my accommodation. However, I have to look long-term since I'm planning to move out anyway and do part-time masters with full-time job.

Considering your situation, I reckon it would be worthwhile commuting from your home just if you can ensure comfort and privacy as they're two of the really vital aspects to look at.
Original post by Anonymous
Hi,

Can you cancel your accommodation contract easily or will you have to continue paying until you find a replacement tenant?
Hi,

Hi,

As this of course is not an easy decision to make and we cannot make it for you I thought I would help by including some things you could consider when making this decision:

What are your priorities right now? Save money now to move out later or immerse yourself in student life for your final year?

What would the process be like of cancelling your student accommodation contract?

As you are concerned with privacy, are you able to talk to your parents and come to agreements for if you were to move back home? This might be helpful to do before you move back so the expectations are set and agreed on. Are there places close to where you live where you could spend the day studying? Can you commute sometimes to use the university facilities when you need to?

Have you spoken to anyone at your university or home? What about friends (uni or non uni friends)?

Good luck and all the best!

Alia
University of Kent Student Rep
(edited 5 months ago)
Hi,

Hey,
On practical terms it is worth checking if you can get out of your current tenancy. Depending on where you are staying you may be able to leave at the end of month or may have a full year contract.

If you are able to get out of your tenancy and are able to return home to finish your studies then it may be a good opportunity to save money. The money you save could perhaps go to driving lessons.

In terms of privacy you may have the chance to study out of the house in the library / coffee shops which may give you more privacy. Another way is before moving establish boundaries for when you need your space to study. Ultimately if being uncomfortable and lacking privacy would detriment your studies it may be worth staying in your accommodation.

All the best with your decision - Catherine (University of Strathclyde Student Ambassador)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending