The Student Room Group

I've lost all motivation

Here's my story:

In year 7 & 8, I used to be so motivated. I was top of all my classes and even president of an extracurricular. I had some close friends and was fairly well-liked.

In year 9, I started to notice some of that motivation was slipping. It's not that I couldn't do it, I just felt more stressed.

I'm now in year 10 and I have 0 motivation. I've had an over two week half term and I've done nothing. I know that I can but I also almost feel like I can't. I have clear goals and destinations that I know I want but my grades have been on the decline since year 9.

What can I do to help my motivation?
What can I do to bring my grades back up to grade 7 and 8 standard?
Have you consider speaking to a counsellor? If you have one at school, you should try to seek him/her out. If not, speak to a teacher about finding one.

It's not unusual to find pupils seeking help on their mental health.
Can you think of anything that helped motivate you before, or anything that may have changed to make you lose motivation?
Reply 3
Each year the material gets more difficult and also more detailed. You are also developing into an adult. You will have a mix of varying emotions and interests and therefore it is expected that at some point you will find work more challenging.

Try adjusting your goals and make them more manageable. When you achieve a goal, make sure you reward yourself as well. Also, don't be so harsh on yourself. You've done a great job so far :smile:.
Reply 4
As a Christian, I would tell you that this is a good time to start praying and perhaps instead of relying on yourself, ask Christ for motivation. However, as someone who's gone through the exact same thing, I think prayer and small chunks of past papers help. Also, career searching, and a level looking and uni searching. Don't go open days for uni, but start looking at what you would like to do really spurs people up. It excites me but also daunts me into, 'ok, I need to focus on x, y and z now otherwise this uni won't be obtainable.' God bless you, I hope you find your spur again.
Original post by slightlyinsane
Here's my story:

In year 7 & 8, I used to be so motivated. I was top of all my classes and even president of an extracurricular. I had some close friends and was fairly well-liked.

In year 9, I started to notice some of that motivation was slipping. It's not that I couldn't do it, I just felt more stressed.

I'm now in year 10 and I have 0 motivation. I've had an over two week half term and I've done nothing. I know that I can but I also almost feel like I can't. I have clear goals and destinations that I know I want but my grades have been on the decline since year 9.

What can I do to help my motivation?
What can I do to bring my grades back up to grade 7 and 8 standard?

I'm in year 11 and I can say I was a bit like you, From year 8 and 9, I used to mess around in school. I did my homework, but I never did extra revision as I was too lazy and not motivated. When I was in year 10 I became motivated by doing simple things like watching people on YouTube open their GCSE results and how people revise a certain subject like science, English maths, etc. What I did that influenced my motivation was to start off slowly so I would do 20 or 30 minutes of revision per subject and I would then take 5 or 10 minutes breaks and each week I increased the time until I reached 40 minutes. If your doing mocks because I did my mocks in year 10 before we went into lockdown you should revise an hour for each subject but only if it's for mocks or exams. Hope this helped x

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending