The Student Room Group

A-level choices

Hi. I'm not sure what I should pick for A-levels. Idk what i want to be. I know i am doing Biology (the best science) and Psychology but im not sure for the third one. I was thinking Chemistry or Business but a lot of people are telling me to do maths cause it will be useful and stuff. I ruled out Business because if I want to do it later I can if I pick Maths. I though about economics but its the same with business. My school offers film studies but i have no idea if I would like the course. So mainly left with Maths and Chemistry but idk which one i prefer and Maths has so much content. I am so confused please help me. Thank you so much.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by pokosport1
Hi. I'm not sure what I should pick for A-levels. Idk what i want to be. I know i am doing Biology (the best science) and Psychology but im not sure for the third one. I was thinking Chemistry or Business but a lot of people are telling me to do maths cause it will be useful and stuff. I ruled out Business because if I want to do it later I can if I pick Maths. I though about economics but its the same with business. My school offers film studies but i have no idea if I would like the course. So mainly left with Maths and Chemistry but idk which one i prefer and Maths has so much content. I am so confused please help me. Thank you so much.

Although I don't take chemistry, from what I've heard, maths should be easier than chemistry. If you keep working away at practice questions you will get the hang of it and the content doesn't amount to too much.

Doing maths keeps your options open as well, but if chemistry isn't a bad choice either. Keep in mind you need chemistry to do something like medicine but you don't need maths. However maths allows you access to a lot of other stem courses.

Definitely choose between maths and chem, I wouldn't recommend business or economics if you don't know what you want to do as they aren't required for any uni courses and will severely limit your options. Weigh up the pros and cons of maths/chem and see which one you would prefer.

Which one can you get the best grade in with least effort? That one.

If I was choosing the most powerful doors open combination it would be Bio, Chem and Maths, but grades matter.

Have a play with this

Which A levels?
https://university.which.co.uk/advice/a-level-choices/six-things-you-need-to-know-before-making-your-a-level-choices

What degree course?
https://sacu-student.com/?page_id=5203

Heyy ok so your third option is between chemistry and maths?
Do what your most drawn to, which subject for you really like?
It looks like ur not keen on maths and just doing it coz of wat ppl are saying... don’t do that. You have to really enjoy the subject if you want good grades and want to do well.
You didn’t mention about chemistry.. do you enjoy it??

Also business is good! You said you can do it later IF you do maths but that depends if u rlly enjoy maths
But no harm in going business or econ as ur third subject
Econ in a level is more maths do that can be good? If you don’t want to do pure Maths at a level where it’s hard on maths. U know

Hope I helped x please reply
Reply 4
Honestly i have no idea. Every time someone tries to help me it confuses me even more :/
Reply 5
Original post by Incede
Although I don't take chemistry, from what I've heard, maths should be easier than chemistry. If you keep working away at practice questions you will get the hang of it and the content doesn't amount to too much.

Doing maths keeps your options open as well, but if chemistry isn't a bad choice either. Keep in mind you need chemistry to do something like medicine but you don't need maths. However maths allows you access to a lot of other stem courses.

Definitely choose between maths and chem, I wouldn't recommend business or economics if you don't know what you want to do as they aren't required for any uni courses and will severely limit your options. Weigh up the pros and cons of maths/chem and see which one you would prefer.

Thank you so much. I will try to see what i prefer. Thankss (:
Reply 6
Original post by 999tigger
Which one can you get the best grade in with least effort? That one.

If I was choosing the most powerful doors open combination it would be Bio, Chem and Maths, but grades matter.

Have a play with this

Which A levels?
https://university.which.co.uk/advice/a-level-choices/six-things-you-need-to-know-before-making-your-a-level-choices

What degree course?
https://sacu-student.com/?page_id=5203

Thanks for the website links i will try them. I am better at maths my predicted is a 7 although it used to be an 8 but I did not practice a lot for exams so hopefully it goes back up after the next one. My science is 7-6 soo i think maths . Thankss
Reply 7
Original post by Monsur x
It looks like ur not keen on maths and just doing it coz of wat ppl are saying... don’t do that. You have to really enjoy the subject if you want good grades and want to do well.

Also business is good! You said you can do it later IF you do maths but that depends if u rlly enjoy maths
Econ in a level is more maths do that can be good? If you don’t want to do pure Maths at a level where it’s hard on maths. U know

Thank you so much.
Im not that keen on maths or chemistry tbh but a lot of people are saying not to do business ( i get why so its fine. ) My predicted is a 7 for Business Maths and for combined sci it 7-6. I think i should do maths because its mainly practice i guess and with Gcse over i would have a lot more time and less subjects so I guess Maths although some aspects in Chemistry are easy but then molecular masses and moles is a mess but in maths theres like completing the square which I have practiced so much but still dont get but oh well. Maths does give more fields though and I dont think I want to go into Medicine. Economy is okay I guess but then idk.
Reply 8

Thank you so much.
Im not that keen on maths or chemistry tbh but a lot of people are saying not to do business ( i get why so its fine. ) My predicted is a 7 for Business Maths and for combined sci it 7-6. I think i should do maths because its mainly practice i guess and with Gcse over i would have a lot more time and less subjects so I guess Maths although some aspects in Chemistry are easy but then molecular masses and moles is a mess but in maths theres like completing the square which I have practiced so much but still dont get but oh well. Maths does give more fields though and I dont think I want to go into Medicine. Economy is okay I guess but then idk.

Thank you so much. I will try to see what i prefer. Thankss (:
Thanks for the website links i will try them. I am better at maths my predicted is a 7 although it used to be an 8 but I did not practice a lot for exams so hopefully it goes back up after the next one. My science is 7-6 soo i think maths . Thankss

Maybe do some research into what courses are out there or what careers?
The starting point is which A levels are you most interested in and can get the best grades with with least effort.
The most pwerful combination for number of options is the one I suggested, but you should id a course or look at what the combination is where you cna get the best grades with least effort and see if the path to your chosen course remains open.
Reply 10
Maybe do some research into what courses are out there or what careers?
The starting point is which A levels are you most interested in and can get the best grades with with least effort.
The most pwerful combination for number of options is the one I suggested, but you should id a course or look at what the combination is where you cna get the best grades with least effort and see if the path to your chosen course remains open.

Thanks. The thing with bio chem and maths is it like a medicine career which is good but idk cause I love biology and i find it easier. chem and maths is okay and yeah. Why i choose psychology is because its kind of linked with bio and its content sounds interesting. Also it can help you make yourself a better person and just with wellbeing and well i need a bit of help ngl and yeah so thats why i know im doing them 2 and then last idk. Im gonna research what the 3 options together can go into and stuff. Thank you though so much.
Thanks. The thing with bio chem and maths is it like a medicine career which is good but idk cause I love biology and i find it easier. chem and maths is okay and yeah. Why i choose psychology is because its kind of linked with bio and its content sounds interesting. Also it can help you make yourself a better person and just with wellbeing and well i need a bit of help ngl and yeah so thats why i know im doing them 2 and then last idk. Im gonna research what the 3 options together can go into and stuff. Thank you though so much.

No

Just do as I said andf save yourself lots of grief and confusion.
Work out your best three and see where that gets you.

Biology is in there, so its only 2 left.

Find the next 2 easiest which you enjoy and can get a good grade in.

Then check what courses they work for. Cant say Im a fan of Psych but if you can get a good grade and it helps you get onto the course you want then fine.

That means you just need one A level. You shouldnt be goingh round in circles for such an easy choice. Work out possible and then work out which one has the most advantages to you. End of choice. If you wish to do hard stem you will need 2x science.
Reply 12

Hey I do both maths and chemistry A-level and honestly they're are both hard. None of them are easy and you have got to be prepared to put the hours in for the top grades. I found year 1 maths harder and more of a jump than chemistry year 1 purely because I loved chem at gcse. But as year 2 has come it has levelled out more and they're both just as difficult! Honestly do what you will actually enjoy otherwise it will be the worst 2 years studying something because everyone else said it will be useful. There is also nothing wrong with doing Business at all if you enjoy it! But I would recommend looking into just a few courses because some of them will require certain subjects. I've not explained this very well but just PM if you want to ask anything other.
Reply 13
No

Then check what courses they work for. Cant say Im a fan of Psych but if you can get a good grade and it helps you get onto the course you want then fine.

That means you just need one A level. You shouldnt be goingh round in circles for such an easy choice. Work out possible and then work out which one has the most advantages to you. End of choice. If you wish to do hard stem you will need 2x science.

oh okay. I didnt know about the stem thing but okay thankss. (:
Reply 14
No

That means you just need one A level. You shouldnt be goingh round in circles for such an easy choice. Work out possible and then work out which one has the most advantages to you. End of choice. If you wish to do hard stem you will need 2x scienc

Original post by Flors
Hey I do both maths and chemistry A-level and honestly they're are both hard. None of them are easy and you have got to be prepared to put the hours in for the top grades. I found year 1 maths harder and more of a jump than chemistry year 1 purely because I loved chem at gcse. But as year 2 has come it has levelled out more and they're both just as difficult! Honestly do what you will actually enjoy otherwise it will be the worst 2 years studying something because everyone else said it will be useful. There is also nothing wrong with doing Business at all if you enjoy it! But I would recommend looking into just a few courses because some of them will require certain subjects. I've not explained this very well but just PM if you want to ask anything other.

Okay thanks so much. What do u prefer out of the two?
Reply 15
Okay thanks so much. What do u prefer out of the two?

I find chemistry more interesting I think, but due to upping my game and doing more exam questions for maths I starting to find that slightly better to deal with this year. Also getting a good grade in maths gcse does not mean you will necessarily do well for A-level because the content is mostly new. Whereas I feel with chem you build on a lot of the concepts from gcse and its easier for me personally to see the links between topics.

Even though in a level u only do 3 subjects unlike in GCSE doesn’t change anything. The content in maths will be HARD especially if u aren’t even sure out the subject and are weak in mostly all it’s topics

Why not business or econ??
Econ has at least some maths in it do u can do that instead of Maths

I don’t know lol
Reply 17
Original post by Flors
I find chemistry more interesting I think, but due to upping my game and doing more exam questions for maths I starting to find that slightly better to deal with this year. Also getting a good grade in maths gcse does not mean you will necessarily do well for A-level because the content is mostly new. Whereas I feel with chem you build on a lot of the concepts from gcse and its easier for me personally to see the links between

Okay Thanks. One of my teachers were like in chemistry a level u find out everything u have learnt wasn't exactly right lol. so yeahh :/
Reply 18
Original post by Flors
I find chemistry more interesting I think, but due to upping my game and doing more exam questions for maths I starting to find that slightly better to deal with this year. Also getting a good grade in maths gcse does not mean you will necessarily do well for A-level because the content is mostly new. Whereas I feel with chem you build on a lot of the concepts from gcse and its easier for me personally to see the links between

Okay Thanks. One of my teachers were like in chemistry a level u find out everything u have learnt wasn't exactly right lol. so yeahh :/

Even though in a level u only do 3 subjects unlike in GCSE doesn’t change anything. The content in maths will be HARD especially if u aren’t even sure out the subject and are weak in mostly all it’s topics

Why not business or econ??
Econ has at least some maths in it do u can do that instead of Maths

I don’t know lol

Idk what to be when im older lol thats why
Reply 19

Ohhhh that is so true. My head kind of exploded when I found out you can have more than 8 electrons in a shell! You have to unlearn some of the stuff you get taught at gcse in chem. Almost seems like you were sold a lie at gcse when it gets to Alevel.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending