The Student Room Group

QMUL vs UEA for English?

I'm interested in both Queen Mary University of London & UEA. I have applied for English with creative writing at QMUL & Creative Writing and English Literature at UEA. I can't figure out which I prefer because I think both have great courses and advantages to them, and they are also such different locations. Would anyone be able to offer a second opinion? I live nearer London so I naturally thought I would go to QMUL but I'm really conflicted since like I said, I also think UEA has a good course.
Reply 1
Original post by tiredstudent139
I'm interested in both Queen Mary University of London & UEA. I have applied for English with creative writing at QMUL & Creative Writing and English Literature at UEA. I can't figure out which I prefer because I think both have great courses and advantages to them, and they are also such different locations. Would anyone be able to offer a second opinion? I live nearer London so I naturally thought I would go to QMUL but I'm really conflicted since like I said, I also think UEA has a good course.

Have you compared in detail how the two degrees are assessed and organised? Does one have more coursework/more exams, does one offer a more programmatic route through? I think, off the top of my head, that QMUL has a larger English department than UEA, with a wider variety of scholars (though UEA's is reasonably-sized) and UEA of course is famous for the strength of its creative writing (though I'm sure whatever QMUL does in that space is good). None of these facts are inherent universal positives or negatives—e.g. some people like coursework, some people like exams, some people like a mixture—but if you think through them, you might find that there are some which are decisive factors for you. It's difficult for others to do that weighing-up (and you probably won't find anyone who's done the English degree at both places).
Original post by QHF
Have you compared in detail how the two degrees are assessed and organised? Does one have more coursework/more exams, does one offer a more programmatic route through? I think, off the top of my head, that QMUL has a larger English department than UEA, with a wider variety of scholars (though UEA's is reasonably-sized) and UEA of course is famous for the strength of its creative writing (though I'm sure whatever QMUL does in that space is good). None of these facts are inherent universal positives or negatives—e.g. some people like coursework, some people like exams, some people like a mixture—but if you think through them, you might find that there are some which are decisive factors for you. It's difficult for others to do that weighing-up (and you probably won't find anyone who's done the English degree at both places).

Thanks for the advice, I really appreciate it. I think what's making it confusing for me is that UEA is much further from home than QMUL for me, so I feel like it's more of a "risk" yet it could turn out to be amazing. It's tricky when you like two haha, but I'm sure I will make a decision eventually.
Original post by tiredstudent139
Thanks for the advice, I really appreciate it. I think what's making it confusing for me is that UEA is much further from home than QMUL for me, so I feel like it's more of a "risk" yet it could turn out to be amazing. It's tricky when you like two haha, but I'm sure I will make a decision eventually.

Its up to you. I am currently a second year student at QMUL studying English. Its really fun! My friends also do Creative Writing and he enjoys it. A lot of work but its manageable. First year is alright and some of the essays are formative so you will get feedback on how to improve your work. Second year you have a variety of modules. You will be studying English in Practise which is compulsory for the module.
Original post by M_Yahya2001
Its up to you. I am currently a second year student at QMUL studying English. Its really fun! My friends also do Creative Writing and he enjoys it. A lot of work but its manageable. First year is alright and some of the essays are formative so you will get feedback on how to improve your work. Second year you have a variety of modules. You will be studying English in Practise which is compulsory for the module.

Thanks for replying :smile: How many contact hours do you usually have? And do you feel like there's detailed feedback on essays you submit?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending