The Student Room Group

Would you go to Oxbridge?

Assuming that you’ve been given an offer, would you take it?

I’m thinking of English at Cambridge and I have an interview now, but I’m undecided on whether or not I’d take an offer. Durham haven’t replied to my application yet but their course is probably my favourite, and I love Lancaster for the location and atmosphere.

I’m curious at how many people would prefer other universities, and how many people would think I’m crazy if I get in but pass up the opportunity.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I'm torn on it, I'm looking for a really challenging course so Cambridge obviously ticks that box, but I like some of my other choices equally as much so I'm not thinking about it until I know exactly what offers I'm working with. Definitely won't be picking it purely for being Oxbridge if I do get an offer though!
Some people choose other universities, what's important is that you make the right decision for yourself. Personally, I've chosen Cambridge.
Original post by Interea
I'm torn on it, I'm looking for a really challenging course so Cambridge obviously ticks that box, but I like some of my other choices equally as much so I'm not thinking about it until I know exactly what offers I'm working with. Definitely won't be picking it purely for being Oxbridge if I do get an offer though!

Of course, that makes sense. I think for me prestige is a big factor honestly, but I also love the teaching style and I think it would really suit me in that way. Beauty of the location is a bonus too.

Original post by Theloniouss
Some people choose other universities, what's important is that you make the right decision for yourself. Personally, I've chosen Cambridge.

I think that makes a lot of sense. I wish you all the best! What’s your course?
Original post by ashtolga23
I think that makes a lot of sense. I wish you all the best! What’s your course?

Natural sciences (biological)
Natural sciences (biological)

Damnnn, impressive!
Damnnn, impressive!

My pleasure, man. I hope it all goes great for you.
yess but i haven't even been told if i have an interview yet ahh stress
No. I applied for Graduate Entry Medicine and Cambridge due to family pressure and am so glad I didn't get in. The way both Oxford and Cambridge teach medicine isn't the style that suits me at all and I already knew that before applying.

I’m thinking of English at Cambridge and I have an interview now, but I’m undecided on whether or not I’d take an offer. Durham haven’t replied to my application yet but their course is probably my favourite, and I love Lancaster for the location and atmosphere.

I’m curious at how many people would prefer other universities, and how many people would think I’m crazy if I get in but pass up the opportunity.

I had five offers, and chose Oxford. It was the lowest of my offers (EE + GCSE French - I took the entrance exam), but the only one that I failed ..

I much preferred it to what I'd seen of other universities. My insurance was Imperial, which I got the impression would have been more hard work, but not better.

My father lectured in English Language and Linguistics at Sheffield, so I'd seen a fair amount of that, including the odd tutorial when I was off school.

The course is key though. However, I wouldn't go too far down the entry requirements - it can be frustrating in lectures and tutorials with people that persistently don't get it.
Reply 11
I've just received an interview for Computer Science but I might reject for Imperial if I get into both (unlikely but still). I think you should pick the course you like the most, that's really all that matters.
obviously cambridge is great but you should choose the best course and where you can imagine yourself being happiest! but dont worry, youve got ages to decide :smile:
If you can make it, Cambridge will be the best option regardless of courses or personal feelings.

Because it's always easier to apply to other unis as masters, researchers, visiting scholars or any other identities once you got a Cambridge degree. I know a good number of people who do masters in London with Oxbridge degrees because they like London. However, the same isn't true for the other way around.
No.
I wouldn't apply.
Nor be able to cope with the initial interview, studying workload or rigorous academic demands of their courses.
Reply 15

I would take an offer from Oxford happily - like the teaching style for Medicine (tutorials) amongst other things but I would also love to go Sheffield. Out of the two I'd go Oxford but yes, it's mostly about the course.
I think many people would pick Cambridge for the prestige(and to be honest I think I probably would-a degree from Oxbridge opens up some nice options for you post graduation). Then again you’re going to be spending the next 3 years of your life at uni so being happy is fundamental to your degree success. If you think you’re going to happy In another location or studying different modules at a different institution this is probably the most important thing! I have a friend who turned down her Cambridge place and is now studying at Birmingham and she says it’s the best decision she’s ever made! Sometimes you just know when a place is right for you, and it’s ok if that isn’t Oxbridge even if you feel like it should be
(edited 3 years ago)
still hoping to go for my masters, so yes. the maths course at cambridge isn't really beaten elsewhere in the country and seems to prepares you well for research. (or at least that's the reputation of the fourth year)

some people do apply for the prestige but it remains the best academically for some (not all) subjects. few people are that bothered about their subject from experience so may prefer elsewhere, and of course you should factor in other things. (this of course isn't to say that you must be unbothered if you choose elsewhere, not everyone wants a very intense course even if they love their subject)
(edited 3 years ago)
Thank you for everyone’s answers! It’s been really nice reading through :smile:
I took up my offer to study music at Oxford and have absolutely no regrets about doing so, even though I was almost certainly better suited to courses elsewhere. The key questions you have to ask yourself are do you like the course content (module topics), structure (exams every year in your case, I believe?), and mode of delivery (in your case, supervisions)? If one of those three things doesn't quite suit you, then you need to do further research and carefully weigh up everything, to make an informed decision.

There's absolutely nothing wrong in applying to Oxford or Cambridge, but then deciding it's not for you and that you'd be happier/healthier elsewhere. So if you feel like you'd be happier at Durham because you prefer the course, then by all means go for it if you get an offer :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending