The Student Room Group

Higher English help plzz :(

Hiii, my Higher English prelim is coming up and my grades so far have been really bad. In Nat 5 English I had straight A's but now I'm getting D's.

I specifically need help in RUAE, like analysis and developing/expanding my answers.

Any tips to help boost my grade would be amazing, thanks :smile:
Original post by prabmatharu29
Hiii, my Higher English prelim is coming up and my grades so far have been really bad. In Nat 5 English I had straight A's but now I'm getting D's.

I specifically need help in RUAE, like analysis and developing/expanding my answers.

Any tips to help boost my grade would be amazing, thanks :smile:

I'm actually the opposite I didnt do too well at nat 5 but somehow I'm doing better at higher. I think a big part of that is in class we have done quite a few pratcie tests and this has helped a lot to boost my confidence. I also find RUAE really difficult we were told that the average score in Scotland is like 12 so be proud of the reults you are getting. I know obviously u want to get better so these are so tips I can think of.

When answering questions on analysis try to use this technique.
T echnique
Q uote
A nalysis

Wrting this down step by step will show the marker u essentially know what you are talking about. At nat 5 u got marks for quoting but at higher u dont so just try and analysis the specific technique that you hav eestablished. My main advice would be to just keep practicing, espically with RUAE by looking at mark schemes it will really help you establish how they want u to answer the quetion.

This advice might not help u at all but u just need to find some strategies that work for u!
Good luck! My prelim is also coming up so we can do this together!
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by wonder girl
I'm actually the opposite I didnt do too well at nat 5 but somehow I'm doing better at higher. I think a big part of that is in class we have done quite a few pratcie tests and this has helped a lot to boost my confidence. I also find RUAE really difficult we were told that the average score in Scotland is like 12 so be proud of the reults you are getting. I know obviously u want to get better so these are so tips I can think of.

When answering questions on analysis try to use this technique.
T echnique
Q uote
A nalysis

Wrting this down step by step will show the marker u essentially know what you are talking about. At nat 5 u got marks for quoting but at higher u dont so just try and analysis the specific technique that you hav eestablished. My main advice would be to just keep practicing, espically with RUAE by looking at mark schemes it will really help you establish how they want u to answer the quetion.

This advice might not help u at all but u just need to find some strategies that work for u!
Good luck! My prelim is also coming up so we can do this together!

ohh ok I'll defo do more practise papers and thanks your advice was really helpful :smile:
wish u the best of luck on your prelims too!
Original post by prabmatharu29
ohh ok I'll defo do more practise papers and thanks your advice was really helpful :smile:
wish u the best of luck on your prelims too!

Thank u!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending