The Student Room Group

accounting Vs management

which would be more employable, and would it be possible to get Into IB with these degrees?

Nottingham - accounting flying start degree program BA (with guaranteed paid PwC placement, and possible grad job with them)

Warwick - management Bsc

Warwick is more respected, but Nottingham had guaranteed paid work experience which would be good for me since I'm not exactly the most well off (and it's good for grad prospects), but what's your opinion?

slightly off topic also, but who has a better rep (for accounting/finance): Nottingham or Newcastle?
Hmm...
For me it depends where that PwC placement is. If it's only available in Audit then pick Warwick. If you can get advisory or TAS or FDD then pick Notts.
Original post by anonuser99
Hmm...
For me it depends where that PwC placement is. If it's only available in Audit then pick Warwick. If you can get advisory or TAS or FDD then pick Notts.

yeah it is only in audit, but if you get a 2:1 or higher, there's a chance for a grad job at PwC - that's what I'm worried most about at Warwick, that although it's a very respected uni, management is too broad a degree and I'm afraid I won't be able to get a job after.

is it possible to switch careers from being an audit though, say to IB or consulting? I was also thinking of doing industrial economics at notts, do you happen to know whether that's better than Warwick (management)?
Original post by Starrynight5
yeah it is only in audit, but if you get a 2:1 or higher, there's a chance for a grad job at PwC - that's what I'm worried most about at Warwick, that although it's a very respected uni, management is too broad a degree and I'm afraid I won't be able to get a job after.

is it possible to switch careers from being an audit though, say to IB or consulting? I was also thinking of doing industrial economics at notts, do you happen to know whether that's better than Warwick (management)?

1. Audit to IB is definitely possible, but it takes about 3 years. Idk about consulting (without an MBA).
2. Idk tbh. I don't think you'd have significant problems with management. The uni name stands out in a 15 second scan of your CV.
Original post by anonuser99
1. Audit to IB is definitely possible, but it takes about 3 years. Idk about consulting (without an MBA).
2. Idk tbh. I don't think you'd have significant problems with management. The uni name stands out in a 15 second scan of your CV.

yeah that's true lol. thanks for the help :smile:

You should do some serious research into IB - are you sure you want to do it. Audit to IB would be quite hard but audit to consulting is possible

Management at Warwick would give you more opportunities than accounting at Nottingham. Which course do you prefer? Don't choose your degree just for the prospects because you'll have enough at either uni. Do you think you would get bored studying accounting for 3 years, it looks quite mundane?

Personally, I'd go to Warwick despite the PwC offer, you'd have a good chance of getting in after Warwick anyway tbh.
Original post by Incede
You should do some serious research into IB - are you sure you want to do it. Audit to IB would be quite hard but audit to consulting is possible

Management at Warwick would give you more opportunities than accounting at Nottingham. Which course do you prefer? Don't choose your degree just for the prospects because you'll have enough at either uni. Do you think you would get bored studying accounting for 3 years, it looks quite mundane?

Personally, I'd go to Warwick despite the PwC offer, you'd have a good chance of getting in after Warwick anyway tbh.

ok thanks! my concern with Warwick was the actual degree, but ig I could choose modules more tailored to finance etc. and hopefully the name gets me into some places lol. another thing that im worried about is that notts guarantees the work placement whereas I'd have to apply for internships, spring weeks and grad jobs and compete against everyone on my course and others at Warwick, which is honestly such a daunting thought haha.

I think I'd do better/enjoy management more than accounting tbh, but yeah I'm mostly just worried about job prospects after management undergrad.

also, do you have an opinion on Industrial Economics (notts)? is it better than management at Warwick?
ok thanks! my concern with Warwick was the actual degree, but ig I could choose modules more tailored to finance etc. and hopefully the name gets me into some places lol. another thing that im worried about is that notts guarantees the work placement whereas I'd have to apply for internships, spring weeks and grad jobs and compete against everyone on my course and others at Warwick, which is honestly such a daunting thought haha.

I think I'd do better/enjoy management more than accounting tbh, but yeah I'm mostly just worried about job prospects after management undergrad.

also, do you have an opinion on Industrial Economics (notts)? is it better than management at Warwick?

If you think about it, you're going to have to compete with others for jobs for the rest of your life, the guaranteed work placement only offers you work in the short run. You can definitely find spring weeks and grad jobs at Warwick so I wouldn't worry about that, personally I'd take the chance. The uni is on your CV forever.

I don't know much about industrial economics, but the course itself might be more interesting than management. If you think you would enjoy the industrial economics course then consider doing that. Although I assume that means you don't have the PwC offer any more?

Industrial economics/Management > Accounting
Warwick > Nottingham.

The degree doesn't really matter so based on all the info you've given, I'd recommend Warwick and I don't think you'll regret it :smile:
Original post by Incede
If you think about it, you're going to have to compete with others for jobs for the rest of your life, the guaranteed work placement only offers you work in the short run. You can definitely find spring weeks and grad jobs at Warwick so I wouldn't worry about that, personally I'd take the chance. The uni is on your CV forever.

I don't know much about industrial economics, but the course itself might be more interesting than management. If you think you would enjoy the industrial economics course then consider doing that. Although I assume that means you don't have the PwC offer any more?

Industrial economics/Management > Accounting
Warwick > Nottingham.

The degree doesn't really matter so based on all the info you've given, I'd recommend Warwick and I don't think you'll regret it :smile:

ok thank you so much! :smile: you've been so helpful honestly, sorry for all the questions 😅
Reply 9
which would be more employable, and would it be possible to get Into IB with these degrees?

Nottingham - accounting flying start degree program BA (with guaranteed paid PwC placement, and possible grad job with them)

Warwick - management Bsc

Warwick is more respected, but Nottingham had guaranteed paid work experience which would be good for me since I'm not exactly the most well off (and it's good for grad prospects), but what's your opinion?

slightly off topic also, but who has a better rep (for accounting/finance): Nottingham or Newcastle?

I’ve applied for the flying start course at Nottingham too and Ive applied to Warwick (but I applied for accounting and finance at Warwick). I was going to pick the notts course over Warwick’s because they are both accounting but like you said the notts one has the integrated work experiences and job offer at the end. It also makes it faster to become a chartered accountant.
I would say choose the Nottingham flying start programme for a few reasons:

1. Accounting is the language of business - regardless of whether you go down the audit route, investment banking or consulting; having 4 years of solid accounting knowledge > self-studying accounting for an interview or to catch up with colleagues knowledge.

2. 12 exemptions form part of the degree. This allows you to be exam qualified as a CA faster than other grads.

3. PwC placements embedded in the degree. This is invaluable (even if its audit). The PwC placements are not in lieu of summer internships, so there is still scope for combining investment banking internships with your audit placements. Essentially, if you game the system right and finish with a 2.1 with minimal modules below 50% (which is the requirement for exemption), you're guaranteed a job - which is something to be taking seriously in this climate. In fact I would say it's one of the few courses worth the tuition fees for international students (at a semi-target).

4. Warwick Business School is an excellent brand and will likely get you offers from banks and professional services firms but again, this isn't guaranteed. Every year, more and more applicants refine their interview skills, perfect their cover letter and CV, form part of a society, have differentiating "relevant" work experience, speak multiple languages etc. The differentiating aspects between students is now marginal. People also have more time to apply due to online classes and so number of quality applicants will increase substantially. The chance of guaranteed work experience at a global leading professional services firm, a job and scope to explore other industries during the four year programme is not something to turn down in this climate. Nottingham forms part of the best of the rest.

5. Investment Banking is still accessible if you don't go via the internship > grad scheme route. If you complete the PwC grad scheme (which you are pretty much guaranteed to due to already reducing the 450 days of work experience (as part of your placements) and also only having to do 3 exams - you can attempt to transfer to Transaction services or Deals once qualified (this is difficult, but doable). Following that, a move to investment banking is likely due to:

-Being cheaper labour - banks recruit accountants due to the pay differentials which can attract undervalued workers
-Technical skills - (ACA exams, (some even complete CFA), extensive audit knowledge, some CF knowledge as well)

Overall, it is a tough decision, but for the reasons listed above, would certainly take the Nottingham offer. The Nottingham brand will not harm your career prospects at all
Original post by IBDMaster
I would say choose the Nottingham flying start programme for a few reasons:

1. Accounting is the language of business - regardless of whether you go down the audit route, investment banking or consulting; having 4 years of solid accounting knowledge > self-studying accounting for an interview or to catch up with colleagues knowledge.

2. 12 exemptions form part of the degree. This allows you to be exam qualified as a CA faster than other grads.

3. PwC placements embedded in the degree. This is invaluable (even if its audit). The PwC placements are not in lieu of summer internships, so there is still scope for combining investment banking internships with your audit placements. Essentially, if you game the system right and finish with a 2.1 with minimal modules below 50% (which is the requirement for exemption), you're guaranteed a job - which is something to be taking seriously in this climate. In fact I would say it's one of the few courses worth the tuition fees for international students (at a semi-target).

4. Warwick Business School is an excellent brand and will likely get you offers from banks and professional services firms but again, this isn't guaranteed. Every year, more and more applicants refine their interview skills, perfect their cover letter and CV, form part of a society, have differentiating "relevant" work experience, speak multiple languages etc. The differentiating aspects between students is now marginal. People also have more time to apply due to online classes and so number of quality applicants will increase substantially. The chance of guaranteed work experience at a global leading professional services firm, a job and scope to explore other industries during the four year programme is not something to turn down in this climate. Nottingham forms part of the best of the rest.

5. Investment Banking is still accessible if you don't go via the internship > grad scheme route. If you complete the PwC grad scheme (which you are pretty much guaranteed to due to already reducing the 450 days of work experience (as part of your placements) and also only having to do 3 exams - you can attempt to transfer to Transaction services or Deals once qualified (this is difficult, but doable). Following that, a move to investment banking is likely due to:

-Being cheaper labour - banks recruit accountants due to the pay differentials which can attract undervalued workers
-Technical skills - (ACA exams, (some even complete CFA), extensive audit knowledge, some CF knowledge as well)

Overall, it is a tough decision, but for the reasons listed above, would certainly take the Nottingham offer. The Nottingham brand will not harm your career prospects at all

wow thanks so much for the insightful reply! yeah I'm not doubting the Warwick name, but it's the job prospects I'm worried about especially during Corona. I've done some research and I've seen some people on the degree at PwC move around different areas other than audit after undergrad (although it's strictly audit during the degree placements) so that's a possibility. Im not sure but I think it would be hard getting IB experience while studying accounting at notts, but I could always try. thanks again!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending