The Student Room Group

PGDE Art and Design 2021 Entry

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Ak7723
Oh my goodness this was the exact same as me ! I studied fine art then did my degree in Contemporary Art Practice and the design question was put to me too. I've also got experience teaching an art class to adolescents and young adults with mentoring and am doing the entry to teaching for Graduates just now so I felt pretty clued up and have knowledge of CFE, etc but still felt I got quite grilled on design etc. Only one of the questions were asked that ( what is the difference between teacher education and teacher training) and everything else were new questions and a lot of hypothetical scenarios

Super glad to hear it wasn't just me!

Yeah - I wish I'd read this thread before the interview and I'd have known they might not stick to the script! It was actually okay though, I managed my way through the questions and have some experience I could draw on so it was definitely okay, just quite fast-paced and hard to tell how I was doing.
Original post by pcross
Strathclyde has such a good reputation but I have a friend who studied her PGDE Art & Design there and said if she were to do it again she would have chosen Glasgow so I'm not sure what I'll do if I have the choice.

Do you have any more information on your friend's opinions on the difference between the course at Strathclyde versus Glasgow?

I know the course at Glasgow is a Postgraduate Diploma and at Strathclyde (also Edinburgh and UWS) it is a Professional Diploma but wondered about the difference in course content/teaching quality etc?
Reply 22
Original post by pcross
Super glad to hear it wasn't just me!

Yeah - I wish I'd read this thread before the interview and I'd have known they might not stick to the script! It was actually okay though, I managed my way through the questions and have some experience I could draw on so it was definitely okay, just quite fast-paced and hard to tell how I was doing.

Yeh I think it sounds as though they'll ask about design knowledge if your background is fine art and fine art knowledge if your background is design. It was pretty intense and I'm the same I've no idea what to expect. I had an interview for UWS and have been made a conditional offer, and still waiting to hear about an interview for Glasgow x
Reply 23
Original post by teachart1
Do you have any more information on your friend's opinions on the difference between the course at Strathclyde versus Glasgow?

I know the course at Glasgow is a Postgraduate Diploma and at Strathclyde (also Edinburgh and UWS) it is a Professional Diploma but wondered about the difference in course content/teaching quality etc?

I got the impression it might just have been about the teachers themselves and maybe not so much to do with the course so it might be completely a personal issue but I'll ask them further.

I'm wondering the same about the difference in the courses - especially with the different course credits and the 'opportunity to achieve 120 Masters-level credits' at Strathclyde.
Reply 24
Original post by Ak7723
Yeh I think it sounds as though they'll ask about design knowledge if your background is fine art and fine art knowledge if your background is design. It was pretty intense and I'm the same I've no idea what to expect. I had an interview for UWS and have been made a conditional offer, and still waiting to hear about an interview for Glasgow x

Uh-huh - makes total sense that they would ask these things. I shouldn't have been surprised I guess!

Congratulations on your offer too! Do offers tend to be on the condition that you pass a PVG check?
Hi everyone! I’ve received invitations for interviews at both Strathclyde and UWS

Can anyone who has had theirs already please let me know if the interview at UWS requires a digital folio or physical one? And also do you need to have the initial needs analysis form printed out and filled in or does it get sent to someone beforehand? Pretty confused at the information that was sent!
Reply 26
Original post by pcross
Uh-huh - makes total sense that they would ask these things. I shouldn't have been surprised I guess!

Congratulations on your offer too! Do offers tend to be on the condition that you pass a PVG check?

They have said about the pvg check and also on the condition I pass my nat 5 maths and English literature which I'm doing now. Love the English hate the maths...but need it. Wish I'd prepared more for the design question too, thought of so much I could have said (after the interview) always the same lol
Original post by pcross
I got the impression it might just have been about the teachers themselves and maybe not so much to do with the course so it might be completely a personal issue but I'll ask them further.

I'm wondering the same about the difference in the courses - especially with the different course credits and the 'opportunity to achieve 120 Masters-level credits' at Strathclyde.

That would definitely be interesting to know about the teaching, thanks!

I'm not 100% sure on it either, from what I can see Strathclyde gives you the opportunity to get the 120 credits at masters level and they can be used towards a Masters in Education.

For the course at Glasgow it says it is a 'masters level qualification'.

I don't think it makes a difference which you have for getting a teaching job in Scotland though?
Original post by Frankiemalu
Hi everyone! I’ve received invitations for interviews at both Strathclyde and UWS

Can anyone who has had theirs already please let me know if the interview at UWS requires a digital folio or physical one? And also do you need to have the initial needs analysis form printed out and filled in or does it get sent to someone beforehand? Pretty confused at the information that was sent!

During my interview for UWS I had to screen share and talk through my portfolio. I filled out the forms digitally but they didnt ask for it.
Original post by artapplicant
During my interview for UWS I had to screen share and talk through my portfolio. I filled out the forms digitally but they didnt ask for it.

Thank you so much! It wasn’t very clear how you were meant to go about things! Congrats on your interview, how did you find it? Sorry for another question but was there guidance on what to include in the folio and how much to include?
Thank you so much! It wasn’t very clear how you were meant to go about things! Congrats on your interview, how did you find it? Sorry for another question but was there guidance on what to include in the folio and how much to include?

The interview was very relaxed and more conversational than interview. There wasn't any guidance on the portfolio, I would say just include lots of examples of drawing.
Original post by artapplicant
The interview was very relaxed and more conversational than interview. There wasn't any guidance on the portfolio, I would say just include lots of examples of drawing.

That’s great to hear! Thank you so much! I’ll try and include a good range of drawing!
Reply 32
Ive just received an interview for UWS and was confused about the portfolio and initial needs analysis for too.. Ive been trying to figure out where to send them. thanks for the info. Now to figure out how to share my screen!
Do you know if the UWS interviews are group or individual? I thought I read somewhere that it was both but I can't find that again.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by NikNoo
Ive just received an interview for UWS and was confused about the portfolio and initial needs analysis for too.. Ive been trying to figure out where to send them. thanks for the info. Now to figure out how to share my screen!
Do you know if the UWS interviews are group or individual? I thought I read somewhere that it was both but I can't find that again.

The screenshare is a button on Zoom, so you will be able to do it when you are in the Zoom meeting!

I think that the UWS interview is group and individual. Does anyone know what the group part involves?
Reply 34
The screenshare is a button on Zoom, so you will be able to do it when you are in the Zoom meeting!

I think hat the UWS interview is group and individual. Does anyone know what the group part involves?

The group part was discussing the document they sent about what's going on in art education right now and the challenges. So if you read it through and look up the links you'll be fine x
Is anyone still waiting to hear back from Edinburgh and Glasgow? I haven’t heard anything, Edinburgh still haven’t asked for my transcripts either, wondered if anyone was the same?
Is anyone still waiting to hear back from Edinburgh and Glasgow? I haven’t heard anything, Edinburgh still haven’t asked for my transcripts either, wondered if anyone was the same?

Not heard anything from Edinburgh or Glasgow either!
Not heard anything from Edinburgh or Glasgow either!

Wonder if they’re just taking their time with things? Glad it’s not just me though was starting to panic haha!
Reply 38

I think that the UWS interview is group and individual. Does anyone know what the group part involves?

Thank you! I’ve hardly used zoom so always panic when I have to try do things on there.. that’s handy to know!
Has anyone heard back from Strathclyde after an interview?
Was told 10 days but it has been longer than that now...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending