The Student Room Group

GCSE Options

Please, all those who have done their GCSEs (or those who have any other experiences related to this) could you please post which subjects you found best, useful or not too difficult? This is just to help me with choosing my subjects in the coming month!

Scroll to see replies

I did my GCSEs in June 2019 - I took the compulsory English, Maths, and Triple Science alongside History, Spanish, and Food Tec.

I'd say the easiest was Food Tec. since the topics weren't too difficult and I enjoyed the coursework. I'd say History was very content heavy, but is good if you want to study further. I had dropped French to take Spanish GCSE so complete beginner - seemed fun and as long as you put the work in it's fine. Hope this helped :smile:
Reply 2
I took English Language and Literature, Maths, Triple Science, RE, Spanish, History, Music and Latin in June 2020.

My favourites were Music and Spanish, though I know a lot of people who didn't enjoy Music so much or found it really hard - I'd taken Grade 5 theory beforehand which was definitely really helpful. Spanish was great because I love language and I found the class' dynamic to be a lot better than some of my other subjects, but again if you've not taken it before starting the GCSE it can be really difficult, but 100% worth it!

If you can choose whether or not to take Triple Science at your school, I would recommend it if you want to go into Science or have a genuine interest; personally neither applied to me, and so it felt like a lot of work without much of an outcome, but I didn't really have a choice. That being said, it can't hurt you too much! And I knew a lot of people who loved taking all three subjects.

For RE, I had to take it as I went to a faith school, and there was a lot of focus on specifically Catholicism because of this. I didn't love this aspect, but there was also a lot of discussion of philosophy and ethics which were really fun.

History was by far my least favourite subject (closely followed by Biology); I just wasn't interested in what we studied. If we'd focused more on politics I think I would have actually enjoyed it. So if you're considering History, I'd recommend looking at the choices your school has made for the syllabus as there's tons of different routes and making sure that they're all areas which you enjoy. History also has a very heavy workload.

If your school offers Latin, I'd recommend it if you're interested in History or languages - it's great for extra language aquisition - and I personally didn't find it to be too much work. Learning the poems was a bit of a chore, but otherwise it was all really engaging. The vocab's quite easy to pick up as so much of Modern English is based in Latin, and it definitely increased my English vocabulary too.

I've written quite a lot here - I hope some of it's helpful! Ultimately, I'd recommend going for what you enjoy over what you think you should do; if I could have taken Combined Science and Drama instead of History I think I would have enjoyed my GCSEs a whole lot more.

Good luck!
i recommend history its literally the best subject and its really interesting!!
Reply 4
Original post by theoneyoulove

Take into account whether you are fast at writing mini essays. I found history really interesting and if you gave me unlimited time I'd write a great essay. However the time limit really caused a problem in my essay writing exams.
Original post by pamoche
Take into account whether you are fast at writing mini essays. I found history really interesting and if you gave me unlimited time I'd write a great essay. However the time limit really caused a problem in my essay writing exams.

true and it depends what exam board youre doing atm im doing aqa and its more about analysing 2 interpretations and saying which you find more convincing and you have to have to have a good memory as youre required to know contextual knowledge .
Reply 6
true and it depends what exam board youre doing atm im doing aqa and its more about analysing 2 interpretations and saying which you find more convincing and you have to have to have a good memory as youre required to know contextual knowledge .

I did AQA and I agree. Big study tip, definitely look at the mark scheme band criteria to see what they want
Original post by pamoche
I did AQA and I agree. Big study tip, definitely look at the mark scheme band criteria to see what they want

yeah past papers are really good too imo just keep revising and you should be fine imo. im on a 9 rn in History and i plan to take it at A level too lmao. what ddi you get if you dont mind me asking?
Reply 8
yeah past papers are really good too imo just keep revising and you should be fine imo. im on a 9 rn in History and i plan to take it at A level too lmao. what ddi you get if you dont mind me asking?

I got a B three marks off an A! And that's because I missed out half of a paper and an 8 mark question from seriously running out of time...considering that, I did pretty well haha
Original post by pamoche
I got a B three marks off an A! And that's because I missed out half of a paper and an 8 mark question from seriously running out of time...considering that, I did pretty well haha

oh okay yeahhh thats really good!!!!:biggrin:
I took English Language, Literature, Maths, Triple Science, French, History and DT but I'll just go over my options and the grade.

Triple science- if you've got an interest in science, go for it. I take Biology and Chemistry at A level now and realistically triple science wasn't that hard. B- 9 C- 8 P- 7

French- didn't enjoy it, but my teacher didn't help. I only really took it because I was decent at French and wanted to do EBACC. Run of the mill language, bit of culture and films included. 7

History- great GCSE. I was pretty apathetic about my options but I did enjoy it and my teacher was great. Have a look at the syllabus to see if it interests you as there were topics we did that were pretty dull. Extended writing questions in the exam but they're not too hard to answer, the knack is exploring and explaining with a good basis on facts. It definitely helps if you are good at essays. 9

DT (Product design)- also a great GCSE. By far my favourite, it wasn't that hard and the theory exam paper was pretty easy although there is quite a bit to remember. You've got coursework on this (50%) so it's not all exam performance. If you keep up on your coursework it's enjoyable. Designing and making your own product is great, and a lot of it was based on your own creative freedom. 9

I think History is a useful GCSE, developing your critical thinking, historical knowledge and essay skills.
My favourite subject was probably DT, least favourite maybe English or French. I was very good at English and mostly enjoyed the texts, my teacher just really put me off. I study English Lit at A level now anyway.
Reply 11
Original post by squibblepanda
I did my GCSEs in June 2019 - I took the compulsory English, Maths, and Triple Science alongside History, Spanish, and Food Tec.

I'd say the easiest was Food Tec. since the topics weren't too difficult and I enjoyed the coursework. I'd say History was very content heavy, but is good if you want to study further. I had dropped French to take Spanish GCSE so complete beginner - seemed fun and as long as you put the work in it's fine. Hope this helped :smile:

Most people are saying there is lots to learn for history as well, but I quite like it so far. Thanks so much!
Reply 12
Original post by yona_cb
I took English Language and Literature, Maths, Triple Science, RE, Spanish, History, Music and Latin in June 2020.

My favourites were Music and Spanish, though I know a lot of people who didn't enjoy Music so much or found it really hard - I'd taken Grade 5 theory beforehand which was definitely really helpful. Spanish was great because I love language and I found the class' dynamic to be a lot better than some of my other subjects, but again if you've not taken it before starting the GCSE it can be really difficult, but 100% worth it!

If you can choose whether or not to take Triple Science at your school, I would recommend it if you want to go into Science or have a genuine interest; personally neither applied to me, and so it felt like a lot of work without much of an outcome, but I didn't really have a choice. That being said, it can't hurt you too much! And I knew a lot of people who loved taking all three subjects.

For RE, I had to take it as I went to a faith school, and there was a lot of focus on specifically Catholicism because of this. I didn't love this aspect, but there was also a lot of discussion of philosophy and ethics which were really fun.

History was by far my least favourite subject (closely followed by Biology); I just wasn't interested in what we studied. If we'd focused more on politics I think I would have actually enjoyed it. So if you're considering History, I'd recommend looking at the choices your school has made for the syllabus as there's tons of different routes and making sure that they're all areas which you enjoy. History also has a very heavy workload.

If your school offers Latin, I'd recommend it if you're interested in History or languages - it's great for extra language aquisition - and I personally didn't find it to be too much work. Learning the poems was a bit of a chore, but otherwise it was all really engaging. The vocab's quite easy to pick up as so much of Modern English is based in Latin, and it definitely increased my English vocabulary too.

I've written quite a lot here - I hope some of it's helpful! Ultimately, I'd recommend going for what you enjoy over what you think you should do; if I could have taken Combined Science and Drama instead of History I think I would have enjoyed my GCSEs a whole lot more.

Good luck!

We have quite a large number of languages we can take for GCSE's, but the only ones we are taught are French and Spanish. The other options are to take if you already know a different language or if you speak it at home. Thanks so much!
Reply 13

Same, I really enjoy history too, but the only thing that worries me is the content, because most people say that once they started the GCSE course, it became really overwhelming. Did it become harder to cope with or was it still easy?
Thank you so much!
Reply 14
Original post by pamoche

Same, this is the main problem for me. I always take ages because I want to include lots of information. We did a mini exam, and although I revised quite hard, I finished most, but did not finish one source.
Thanks so much!
Reply 15
Original post by pamoche

I will do this. Thank you so much!
Reply 16
Original post by linedpaper
I took English Language, Literature, Maths, Triple Science, French, History and DT but I'll just go over my options and the grade.

Triple science- if you've got an interest in science, go for it. I take Biology and Chemistry at A level now and realistically triple science wasn't that hard. B- 9 C- 8 P- 7

French- didn't enjoy it, but my teacher didn't help. I only really took it because I was decent at French and wanted to do EBACC. Run of the mill language, bit of culture and films included. 7

History- great GCSE. I was pretty apathetic about my options but I did enjoy it and my teacher was great. Have a look at the syllabus to see if it interests you as there were topics we did that were pretty dull. Extended writing questions in the exam but they're not too hard to answer, the knack is exploring and explaining with a good basis on facts. It definitely helps if you are good at essays. 9

DT (Product design)- also a great GCSE. By far my favourite, it wasn't that hard and the theory exam paper was pretty easy although there is quite a bit to remember. You've got coursework on this (50%) so it's not all exam performance. If you keep up on your coursework it's enjoyable. Designing and making your own product is great, and a lot of it was based on your own creative freedom. 9

I think History is a useful GCSE, developing your critical thinking, historical knowledge and essay skills.
My favourite subject was probably DT, least favourite maybe English or French. I was very good at English and mostly enjoyed the texts, my teacher just really put me off. I study English Lit at A level now anyway.

I really like science (biology is one of my favourite subjects), so I'm hoping to do triple for GCSE - we haven't been told yet.

EBACC? Is it supposed to be useful? Most people are just saying it's only useful for the schools. I'm ok at french, but the minutes before french exams really stress me out, so I probably won't take it. Do you know which universities require languages?

History is something I really enjoy, but time is the one thing that puts me off. I really want to take it for GCSE, so I think I'll begin practising past papers now, so I can be a bit more prepared.

I used to really like DT textiles, but I made the mistake of choosing woodwork for yr9 (because it was the subject most of my friends chose), which I really didn't like. I think if I'd chosen textiles I'd take DT for GCSE, but now I don't think I will.

I really like English Lit and analysing words, but I'm not good at creative writing.

Thank you so much for the advice! It was really useful!
Original post by AA..
Same, I really enjoy history too, but the only thing that worries me is the content, because most people say that once they started the GCSE course, it became really overwhelming. Did it become harder to cope with or was it still easy?
Thank you so much!

Heyyyyy, as long as you have a good memory and don't mind writing quite a bit you should be fine! i dreaded history in year 9/10 but in year 11 I really began to enjoy it. Learning about Germany was honestly my favourite topic :colone:!!

If you look at past papers and do one like once a month and get your teacher to mark them and get feedback you'll improve a lot ! thats what i actually did :smile: ive got to thank my history teacher though shes amazing !!!

key tip
- past papers
-flashcards

i assume youre doing aqa? it involves looking at 2 interpretations wait look at this:

Interpretation A: From Account Rendered by Melita Maschmann (1964). Maschmann joined the League of German Maidens in March 1933, She was arrested after the war as a Nazi Party member, and was sent to prison.

I remember with more pleasure the weekend outings, the hikes, sports,
campfires and youth hostelling. Occasionally there would be field exercises
with neighbouring groups. I began to play truant from school as work for the
Hitler Youth took up more and more of my time and energy. I would often
leave the house at 5:00 am and only arrive at school for the second or third
lesson.

Interpretation B: Adapted from an account by a young German Arna Klonne, whose parents were teachers and had access to banned books. In his account he remembers his time in the Hitler Youth during 1940.

When I was older; I became a Hitler Youth leader. I found the need for
absolute obedience unpleasant. The Nazis preferred people not to have
a mind of their own. In our troop the activities consisted almost entirely
of endless military drill. Even if sport or shooting practice or a singsong
was planned, we always had to drill first.

The questions normally asked are

1. Read Interpretations A and B. How does Interpretation B differ from Interpretation A about the Hitler Youth clubs? Explain your answer based on what it says in Interpretations A and B.

2. Read Interpretations A and B. Why might the authors of A and B have a different interpretation about the Hitler Youth clubs?

3. Which interpretation gives the more convincing opinion about the Hitler Youth clubs? Explain your answer based on your contextual knowledge and what it says in Interpretations A and B.

we get questions like this for homework as these sort of questions would be first in the paper! if you ever need help then you can pm me :smile: im on a grade 9 in history rn and my teacher told me im most likely to get it so hopefully!!!
Original post by AA..
Thank you so much!

Heyyyyy, as long as you have a good memory and don't mind writing quite a bit you should be fine! i dreaded history in year 9/10 but in year 11 I really began to enjoy it. Learning about Germany was honestly my favourite topic :colone:!!

If you look at past papers and do one like once a month and get your teacher to mark them and get feedback you'll improve a lot ! thats what i actually did :smile: ive got to thank my history teacher though shes amazing !!!

key tip
- past papers
-flashcards

i assume youre doing aqa? it involves looking at 2 interpretations wait look at this:

Interpretation A: From Account Rendered by Melita Maschmann (1964). Maschmann joined the League of German Maidens in March 1933, She was arrested after the war as a Nazi Party member, and was sent to prison.

I remember with more pleasure the weekend outings, the hikes, sports,
campfires and youth hostelling. Occasionally there would be field exercises
with neighbouring groups. I began to play truant from school as work for the
Hitler Youth took up more and more of my time and energy. I would often
leave the house at 5:00 am and only arrive at school for the second or third
lesson.

Interpretation B: Adapted from an account by a young German Arna Klonne, whose parents were teachers and had access to banned books. In his account he remembers his time in the Hitler Youth during 1940.

When I was older; I became a Hitler Youth leader. I found the need for
absolute obedience unpleasant. The Nazis preferred people not to have
a mind of their own. In our troop the activities consisted almost entirely
of endless military drill. Even if sport or shooting practice or a singsong
was planned, we always had to drill first.

The questions normally asked are

1. Read Interpretations A and B. How does Interpretation B differ from Interpretation A about the Hitler Youth clubs? Explain your answer based on what it says in Interpretations A and B.

2. Read Interpretations A and B. Why might the authors of A and B have a different interpretation about the Hitler Youth clubs?

3. Which interpretation gives the more convincing opinion about the Hitler Youth clubs? Explain your answer based on your contextual knowledge and what it says in Interpretations A and B.

we get questions like this for homework as these sort of questions would be first in the paper! if you ever need help then you can pm me :smile: im on a grade 9 in history rn and my teacher told me im most likely to get it so hopefully!!!
Reply 19
Our exam board for history is Edexcel, but I will do the past papers every month. Thanks so much for this advice, and I will pm for help - grade 9 is amazing!!

Quick Reply

Latest